The Academy Awards 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The black dude from Hurt Locker is cool.

Loved Martin's final line: "The show was so long that Avatar now takes place in the past."

That was certainly not one of the more entertaining Oscar telecasts I've ever seen, but what the hell, I'm happy with the Best Picture winner. And so is Roger Ebert.

I guess Sean Penn is not a member of The Acadamy

they usually invite winners (Milk) to be members.

I guess they wanted him to present,
but he is not good enough to be a member?

What were you rooting for, mofo?

Nothing, really. I liked Hurt Locker, particularly the acting and characters, I just found it to be entirely unrealistic as a war movie. Considering it seemed they were really going for realism, it ended up feeling entirely unbelievable to me. It was still probably more deserving than some of the other candidates, but for some reason it was the one "hope this doesn't win" movie for me.

I was rooting for A Serious Man.

George Clooney in 2006:

Barbara Walters "Do you think you'll win 3 Academy Awards this year?"

Clooney "Interestingly, I think I'm going to win four."

Scumbo, unrealistic in what way? I'm not being all Shouter like, genuinely curious.....

Did I hear the orchestra play a snippet of the Golden Girls theme right before Chariots of Fire?

I'm also curious as to what was unrealistic about Hurt Locker. I don't know anything about war, because I'm scared of guns and most foreign people.

Inglourious Basterds
8 noms - 1 win

Up in the Air
6 nom - 0 wins

9 noms - 3 wins

The Hurt Locker
9 noms - 6 wins

It was such an intense and mindblowing experience when I saw it in the theater that I haven't even gone back to view it a second time. But my brother bought a copy for me the other day so I'll sit down with it again soon.

U2popmofo never returned to answer our inquiries about the Hurt Locker. :sad:

It was such an intense and mindblowing experience when I saw it in the theater that I haven't even gone back to view it a second time. But my brother bought a copy for me the other day so I'll sit down with it again soon.

U2popmofo never returned to answer our inquiries about the Hurt Locker. :sad:

I'll get the truth out of him one way or the other.

I have seen the film twice...in the theater and the day it was released on the BLU! but I could watch it over and over.

After the Martin/Baldwin combo made a funny joke, there was a cutaway to a stone-faced Keanu Reeves which totally made my night. That, along with Lady Kanye almost make up for the bullshit screenplay wins and Bullock winning Best Actress.

Also, WTF was up with the interpretive score dance? Playing the songs that the audience likes to hear is way too much, but that, along with the unnecessary, albeit kind of entertaining Neil Patrick Harris opener is fair game? Huh? What?

The Horror montage was badass, but also perplexing. Next year, do a comedy montage, since, you know, that usually gets overlooked this time of year. Or just do another montage of Tuccirape scenes.

The BP winners post-Crash have been pretty solid. I liked The Hurt Locker a great deal, but it was still a rung below the Basterds/Serious Man combo for me. The Departed and Slumdog were both entertaining, but not even close for me, and choosing between No Country or There Will Be Blood is extremely tight. On the whole, the decade's BP winners are at least stronger than the '80s and maybe comparable to the '90s. I don't know.

I was rooting for A Serious Man.

You would.

Also:

2ywyf4j.jpg

Best. Photo. Ever.

(without reading the other replies)

I'm thrilled to bits that Israel DIDN'T win for best foreign film. Thank goodness we were spared an anti-Israel speech by an anti-Israel director of an anti-Israeli film.

The director of the movie gave an interview on the red carpet stating that he wasn't there as a representative of Israel and that Israel doesn't represent him. That's very interesting since his funding came from the state.....oh well.

We didn't deserve to win - "AJAMI" isn't worthy of a "Razzie" even.

++++

I was thrilled that Kathryn Bigelow won Best Director - did you see how long Barbra Streisand held on to the Oscar before she gave it to her?...lol. She was probably thinking "It should have been MINE!!..."....
Also, did anyone else cringe when Kathryn Bigelow was led off the stage to the strains of "I am woman"...jeez, I thought that was one of the most sexist things I've ever seen.

I loved it when Oprah and Sandra Bullock paid tribute to Gabby - what a class act!

a few of my observatons of the show last night....I would have like to see more of Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin in between the the awards...I enjoyed them last night....I thought the opening was totally amatuerish with NPH...sorry..he seems nice enough, but that was not goo last night....dresses I liked last night Demi Moore....wow she looked fantastic....Rachel McAdams, gorgeous..hated Sarah Jessica Parkers dress and giant bun...she looked like she was 10 years older than she is...I though Sandra Bullock looked great. and Kathryn Bigelow looked like she was strapped in her dress too tight...I kept thinking she was going to pass out from lack of oxygen...thought the interpretive dancing was lame...overall, show was a bit boring...just my 2 cents

i'm glad the hurt locker won because it meant that the remake of poccahontis didn't win, but i'm not happy that hurt locker won because i liked inglorious basterds and up in the air better.

hurt locker was very good and all, but there was something about it that i just didn't like, but i'm not quite sure what it is... i think it's that there's not really a story, it's kinda just watching the guy do what he does. it's like an action film that's set in a real life situation so because of that it's all dramatic and stuff.

but at least waltz won... i would have stopped watching then and there if he got screwed.

It was very cool seeing The Dude, Jeff Bridges, finally get the Oscar after all these years. He is one of the greats of our time. :applaud: Now I've got to see the movie he won it for. :wink:

Good for The Hurt Locker I suppose, though I'm still not one bit interested in seeing it. War films are just not my thing, however well done they may be.

They still haven't done away with the gushy-mushy intros for the Best Actor and Actress but at least they were done by the people who had some connection to the nominees so that was a bit more bearable. I haven't seen The Blind Side so I can't really comment on Sandra Bullock and whether she deserved it, though she did look out of place considering the rest.

John Hughes tribute was quite touching but jeez Macaulay Culkin looks creepy :ohmy:

Interpretive dance... WTF?

Back
Top Bottom