Susan Boyle - my hero!!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Susan Boyle - my hero!!!!

Up untill this morning, I had no idea who this person was. I read about her audition on "Britain's got talent" and there was a picture too. Here was a gutsy 47 year old woman who, she says, has never been married and never been kissed (which isn't so strange considering that I myself am 49 and still a virgin....lol).

I did a search on youtube and found this clip which you have GOT to see to believe. I got the biggest smile on my face when the sniggers and smirks in the audience turned to gasps and thunderous applause.

What a breath of fresh air! How wonderful to see someone on a talent show with actual TALENT. Someone who just comes out of left field and blows everyone away!

Susan - for your gutsiness and Chutzpah and for your magnificent voice I say that you are my new hero and I wish you all the luck in the world!!

YouTube - BRITAINS GOT TALENT 2009 SUSAN BOYLE (SINGER) (HQ)

Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:04 AM
This woman is awesome, and made me cry with tears of joy after hearing her sing. She surely is a winner in my book!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:04 AM
YES!!! Thank you for starting this thread!!!!

I just watched the clip again and I am still crying. What a story. What a talent!!! EVERYONE has to watch this!!!

Susan Boyle IS a true winner in my eyes and I hope we hear and see much more of her in the days, weeks and years to come.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I've seen her on tv, I have to watch the entire video online

Some show I was watching last night claimed that Simon has already signed her to a record deal
Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:04 AM
I knew those were dollar signs I saw in his eyes when she sang!

deep had posted this in the American Idol thread (for lack of a better place to put it) a few days ago, and I had things to say there.

Good on her. She was great. Love those "Paul Potts" moments.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:04 AM
I actually cried when I watched that. She was amazing. I've never seen Simon light up like that before. I'm sure part of it were the dollar signs, but I think he was genuinely surprised. Also, seeing Piers Morgan on the edge of tears really brought the lulz. Seriously, though, it really does show how judgmental we are based on surface elements. The audience reaction when she first walked out on stage was pretty shameful, but it was great to see them get those smirks wiped off their faces. Go Susan!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:04 AM
I've been forwarded this video many times in the last few days. She is so awesome!! Les Mis is one of my favourite musicals, and I adore that song.

I think I read somewhere that Simon said he would sign her, no matter the outcome of the show.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 AM
I have watched two or three different versions of this
there is a longer one, around seven minutes

here it is

Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:04 AM
I'd hit it.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I have watched two or three different versions of this
there is a longer one, around nine minutes (I think) that includes interviews before and after the singing, taken from the live show.

Some things bother me.
Why does everyone act like she is a joke before she sings?
Why are they shocked after she sings?

Some contestants come out in silly costumes, with some king of shtick. Trying to make a statement.

She just came dressed appropriately, and made her best appearance.

Does one have to look like a Spice Girl to be deserving?

The show is called Britain's Got Talent.
Seriously. I don't get the nature of this hoo-ha either. Are people confusing this show with "America's Next Top Model?" WTF?

I suppose I don't really get why folks are so utterly astounded that such a magnificently beautiful voice could spring forth from, well, a rather dowdy, plain looking woman. Since when has musical talent or other types of talent for that matter had a strong correlation to one's physical appearance? That must be a really sweet gene to inherit! Are people seriously so out of touch with reality--so distorted in their preconceptions about what constitutes talent and worthiness?

That so much of this "shock" and "awe" is merely being played off of the idea that a woman with perhaps sub-par looks and, given, a slightly quirky background, could actually produce such a heavenly sound is really just a sad reflection on the masses.

I don't know, maybe I was raised differently ... perhaps I live under a rock ... but if I was sitting in that audience and observed this woman walk on stage, I would have had little more than a blank expression on my face ... until the moment her first note reached my ears of course--and even then, my mouth wouldn't have hit the floor.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Some things bother me.
Why does everyone act like she is a joke before she sings?
Why are they shocked after she sings?

Some contestants come out in silly costumes, with some king of shtick. Trying to make a statement.

She just came dressed appropriately, and made her best appearance.

Does one have to look like a Spice Girl to be deserving?

The show is called Britain's Got Talent.

Also, the look on Simon's face when she says she is 47.

That man, with the bowling ball forehead, is 48.
My god, someone better put him down.
I agree - I wish they had not shown people rolling their eyes before she started singing.

Simon's face when she says she is 47 I thought was not about her being too old or anything, but that she looks older than that. She looks older than him. When I look at it again, she doesn't have wrinkles and her skin is actually quite youthful, yet the overall appearance is old-fashioned and she just gives the impression of being a much older person than 47. That's what I thought that look was about - still, I wanted to smack him.

But I, too, was very uncomfortable with the presumption that she's a joke. It was all really mean. I have never seen the show except for a couple of youtubes like this so I don't know if the audiences are always like that or what.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:04 AM
I was blown away when I first heard her singing. She has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard before.

Like others I too thought it was uncalled for with the audience's reactions and everything when Susan first came out. Good for her with shutting them up and showing just how talented she is!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:34 AM
The presumption that she was a joke is what the average person watching entertainment has been groomed to expect. Only "beautiful" people are talented. For every Paris Hilton, Britney, Jonas Brothers, Jessica Alba ( yes, she is superhot but a crappy actress) or AI contestant, cute actor/actress I figure there are hundreds of people or more who just aren't considered pretty or handsome enough to be marketable. These people walk into auditions, and the agents/producers don't even care what is coming out of their mouths, all they see is marketability.

Those of you here were are displeased with their reactions are the exceptions. The female host said it best when she gave her response. She was honest in reflecting on her and everyone else's behaviour. Society is superficial and has been this way for a long, long time. It is indeed a sad commentary on people's expectations. Racism of the past still exists but is frowned upon publicly or covered up but discrimination based on perceived beauty is everywhere and acceptable.

Regardless of her appearance, Susan Boyle is a fantastic talent. Go look at Elaine Page's performances and I think she has an equally or arguably better voice.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Go Susan!

This reminds me of when Paul Potts sang "Nessun Dorma." Here was a portly guy who made everyone roll their eyes, just like Susan. But then he belted out that opera piece, and shocked everyone, including Simon Cowell!

You'd think after Potts Simon would think twice about rolling his eyes over someone's appearance.

Tags
susan boyle