Susan Boyle - my hero!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw this clip again as well as her interview with Larry King and I admit it....I cried my eyes out!

Too many times we are judged on our appearance and, in those 7 minutes on stage, Susan Boyle struck a blow to anyone who can't get beyond what a person looks like. She shined a light of hope for every average-looking woman in the world.

I have no doubt that this will certainly make reality shows (and people in general) think twice before dissing someone in advance just cos they don't look like they should be on a poster or in a magazine.

Again, Susan Boyle is my hero and I will DEFINITELY buy her CD if/when it comes out.

YOU GO SUSAN!!!

The presumption that she was a joke is what the average person watching entertainment has been groomed to expect. Only "beautiful" people are talented. For every Paris Hilton, Britney, Jonas Brothers, Jessica Alba ( yes, she is superhot but a crappy actress) or AI contestant, cute actor/actress I figure there are hundreds of people or more who just aren't considered pretty or handsome enough to be marketable. These people walk into auditions, and the agents/producers don't even care what is coming out of their mouths, all they see is marketability.

Yes. Of course they're already talking about giving her a makeover.Kelly Clarkson gets constant criticism for her looks/weight (do the AI male winners get it to that extent?). So have other women on that show. It's still easier for a guy in music to be successful "in spite of" his looks (I hate to use that phrase but it's all I can think of to make my point) Obviously looks have zero to do with ability but it is all about marketability-even more so for women.

I think her 'star' we slowly descend down to earth.

She is a good singer, not phenomenal. Many if most singers on A I, are really not great at all.

She may or may not win this British talent show.
Who are the other contestants?

Everyone thought lil Rounds had a lock on A I the first week.

The public is fickle, soon the novelty on Boyle will fade a bit.

also, her Cry Me a River, is not as impressive as the Les Miz song.

Some people are wondering if her virginity and shabby appearance were just an act:

Why is a woman so shabbily dressed and immensely confident? Was she asked to wear shoddy clothes and smear herself with sympathy through the ‘NO MAN IN LIFE’ comment?

· Anyone getting into ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ will know the enormity and the grandeur associated with even the auditions. Agreed that she could not have afforded nice clothes but she could have at least combed her dishevelled hair. Why were they untouched?

· Why will anyone give out a fact like the absence of a man in her life and VIRGINITY that too at the first time on auditions? Did she know that the comment will earn her sympathy and a possible escalation in the next round? OR was she asked to appear shoddy and rowdy?

· What happened to the hairdressers of the show? Did he lose the comb right at the moment she was there? Did he get too scared to bring an order in the mess? Did the comb break in uncoiling act (hahahah)? Did he run away by the impossibility of the task? Was he fired right at the moment for not discharging the duties properly? OR the big question, Was it planned like that?

Did Susan Boyle have a boyfriend? ? Dynamic Updates

I've heard just about everything now! PLEASE......last time I checked the show was about TALENT wasn't it? Not about whether a contestant is properly kept or has a boyfriend/spouse etc. :rolleyes:

While channel surfing last night I stopped on Larry King where Ashton Kutcher P. Diddy & Jimmy Fallon were talking about Twitter which was interesting then Larry had Susan Boyl on along with the judge Pierce. Susan did some acapella which was beautiful (My Heart Will Go on from Titanic). Pierce also publicly apologized to Susan and asked her to have dinner with him in London. It was sweet. Pierce also said that Simon is already hard at work on a record deal, album and tour for Susan. We're not going to see the end of her anytime soon. I think she has a beautiful voice and hope to see more and more of her whether she is dressed to the nines or unkempt altogether.

Some people are wondering if her virginity and shabby appearance were just an act:

Did Susan Boyle have a boyfriend? � Dynamic Updates

I hate to admit this, but I wondered many of these same things about her, too. Maybe I'm more cynical than the rest of you, but she seemed awfully poised for a dowdy nobody in the You Tube clip that was posted earlier. Does anyone know anything about her previous vocal experience? I'd almost bet that there's a little more to her than meets the eye, that she has some sort of performance experience.

I hate to admit this, but I wondered many of these same things about her, too. Maybe I'm more cynical than the rest of you, but she seemed awfully poised for a dowdy nobody in the You Tube clip that was posted earlier. Does anyone know anything about her previous vocal experience? I'd almost bet that there's a little more to her than meets the eye, that she has some sort of performance experience.

Do shows of this nature not have scouts? You'd think before getting on she would have sung for someone behind the scenes, and they could have relayed to Simon and the rest of the judges that she was worthy of being on the show. This is why I take Simon's reaction with a dose of skepticism.

I hate to say it but it's already been sensationalized. That shows the power of the internet and how quickly news spreads via platforms such as Twitter, MySpace, FaceBook, YouTube, etc.

Catch Larry King tonite. He has Susan and Pierce on via satellite and she sings off the cuff when Larry asks, it's brilliant. She has a beautiful voice, a gift, and I don't care what she looks like, what the story is, sensationalism, whatever. I enjoy listening to her without judging. With a voice like that who really should care about what dress she wears, whether her eyebrow or unibrow is tweezed, or whether her teeth are white, her hair is combed? :doh:

I hate to say it but it's already been sensationalized. That shows the power of the internet and how quickly news spreads via platforms such as Twitter, MySpace, FaceBook, YouTube, etc.

Catch Larry King tonite. He has Susan and Pierce on via satellite and she sings off the cuff when Larry asks, it's brilliant. She has a beautiful voice, a gift, and I don't care what she looks like, what the story is, sensationalism, whatever. I enjoy listening to her without judging. With a voice like that who really should care about what dress she wears, whether her eyebrow or unibrow is tweezed, or whether her teeth are white, her hair is combed? :doh:

:applaud::applaud:Well said Carek!!!

Do shows of this nature not have scouts? You'd think before getting on she would have sung for someone behind the scenes, and they could have relayed to Simon and the rest of the judges that she was worthy of being on the show. This is why I take Simon's reaction with a dose of skepticism.

I do think these shows screen people beforehand, so I'm sure there were people who knew she was a good singer before she went on. I also think that these types of shows bring on several people early on that they know are completely talentless, just so people can laugh at them. I'm not sure the judges on the show know ahead of time which people actually have talent and which are there to be made the butt of the joke. I think just about everyone was expecting her to be one of the "joke" contestants.

That's why I generally hate that type of show -- I find it cruel to subject people with no talent to the ridicule everyone expected to heap on this woman. They do get screened ahead of time and there is absolutely no need to televise the really, really bad ones.

people are so used to a package being delivered - meaning a sexy type, good-looking package to tie in with a great voice. so when a package is delivered the way Susan made it, people are shocked/surprised/blown away, and end up quickly adapting to a 'new spotlight on things' - we need more of this.

seriously

we need to do things like banish models from covers and have real women.

her voice is fantastic, its already talked about she should do a Bond Theme :up:

090424-boyle-vlrg-8a.widec.jpg

The Associated Press
updated 11:01 a.m. ET, Fri., April 24, 2009

LONDON - What’s next, a fake tan?

Britain is buzzing over singing sensation Susan Boyle’s mini-makeover, with some worrying that her new look may cost her some support in the “Britain’s Got Talent” competition that catapulted her to international stardom.

Boyle, 47, became an instant YouTube and Internet celebrity after appearing on the British TV show with gray frizzy hair, bushy eyebrows and a jowly face above a remarkably unflattering dress. The contrast between Boyle’s un-adorned looks and her angelic singing voice endeared her to viewers the world over.

But on Friday, Boyle appeared on the cover of The Sun tabloid sporting freshly dyed and styled brown locks and newly shaped eyebrows.

While no one could accuse Boyle of turning into a WAG — as the highly stylized Wives and Girlfriends of England’s wealthy athletes are called — the difference was shocking.

“Compared to what she had, it’s a 200 percent improvement,” said Toni Jones, assistant fashion editor of The Sun. “But our readers think this is as far as she should go. We want her to stay one of us, not get hair extensions and a fake tan.”

Jones praised Boyle for getting a 35-pound ($51) hair cut at a local salon near her home in Scotland rather than trekking to London for a 200-pound ($295) cut at a celebrity salon.

But Max Clifford, Britain’s most prominent publicist, called the makeover a major risk because it could jeopardize the phenomenal connection between Boyle and her worldwide audience.

“Keep her as natural as possible for as long as possible,” said Clifford. “It’s more about protection than promotion. She’s got the voice. She has to make sure that the person people all around the world fell in love with remains the same.”

In addition to the new haircut, Boyle has also upgraded her wardrobe. Instead of the plain beige dress she wore on her first TV appearance, she was recently photographed wearing a stylish black leather jacket and what appeared to be a Burberry scarf.

Judges of “Britain’s Got Talent” will decide May 23 whether Boyle gets through to the next round. Britain’s bookmakers have made her the firm favorite to win the competition.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Oh Susan, Susan.......WHY????

I adored her as she stood on the stage so confident, sassy and NATURAL.
Who told her she needed to get a makeover?? She's lived a certain way for 47 years, why change now??

What's next? Pilates? A gym subscription? Plastic surgery? Liposuction?
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!.....:sad::sad:

Susan dear - don't change a THING!!!!.....It's a TALENT competition and not a beauty contest!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Oh Susan, Susan.......WHY????

I adored her as she stood on the stage so confident, sassy and NATURAL.
Who told her she needed to get a makeover?? She's lived a certain way for 47 years, why change now??

What's next? Pilates? A gym subscription? Plastic surgery? Liposuction?
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!.....:sad::sad:

Susan dear - don't change a THING!!!!.....It's a TALENT competition and not a beauty contest!

Have you ever seen a pic of yourself and thought "Oh shit! I look like that!? :yikes: You'd think it would be the same face/body you see in the mirror, but somehow you always look different (and mostly worse) in pics or on video/tv than you do in that mirror.

I remember hearing her mention her surprise at the way she looked when she saw herself on tv, so perhaps she decided she needed a bit of a change for herself. And if it makes her feel good, why shouldn't she? I mean it's not as if she had a boob job and a face-lift. She's not exactly glam -- she still looks like a nice middle-aged woman with no pretensions.

On a satirical news program over here Have I Got News For You, Katy Brand a comedienne mentioned how she found it very patronising the discussion over how she looked, even when people are saying oh she shouldn't change. In a sense it's like a reverse snobbery, we only liked you because you were frumpy, now that you're not well you aren't that great anymore. So you either have to be beautiful or be ugly (i'm loath to use the term ugly, but it's been bandied about the media quite a bit).

if she wouldn't have changed her appearance at all it would also be conceived a gimmick
I can understand not doing yourself up for auditions of shows like that
but of course you'll do up your appearance when you go through to the next round and know for sure you'll be on tellie
unless you lack self respect

she's got a very good voice
I wonder whether she was perhaps nervous during the audition and could sound even better (control her vibrato a bit more, mostly)

:up:

calm down, all she did was tweeze the eyebrows and get a cut and colour that any normal woman would get. Are we supposed to applaud her for looking as shit as possible on national tv? I think its a looooooong way from a fake tan and hair extensions, she is just tidying her appearance up because she might have watched herself and though, yeah i could do a few things. Does it make her any more attractive? Are there now thousands of men baying for her all over the world? I don't think so, she still looks the same.

The other thing is, there are plenty of woman like her who sing opera who are not beautiful. I suppose its because only shallow shits watch the show, and have no idea that there are other singers out there besides your latest gang banger rapper and britney spears.

I mean look at American Idol at the moment, those singers are absolutely SHIT, but somehow are staying around. Beauty gets you through, not talent.

I honestly kind of find the kids on these shows to be creepy. I'm really not fond of their parents peddling them like this, and I actually kind of don't care for precocious kids with a talent...show them to me in 10 years, and we'll talk.

Back
Top Bottom