Survivor Samoa - and beyond!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, if Russel had played the best game, he would be holding the check. It doesn't matter how strategic a player is, or how many immunities they have, at the end of the game if the people on the jury don't like someone or at least respect them, they can't win. Covering your ass socially is just as important to the game as everything else. Russell clearly could not do both. Plenty of under the radar types have won Survivor. I don't know why this one is such a surprise, other than Russel making a huge cry-baby deal over it.

Not surprising Russell didn't win. Interesting how he sat there with his eyes tearing up. WTF was that all about?

I think that was about the million dollars going to one of his dumbass blondes. :lol:

Russell's major mistake was getting too caught up in being a villain. Sicy hit the nail on the head when she said he was a cocky mother fucker. I'm sure many of the contestants felt he was worthy of winning, but didn't want to give it to him because he was such an asshole. Take Jaison for instance. A few weeks ago, I would have figured that he would have voted for Russell if he made it all the way. But, obviously, he chose to vote for Natalie instead.

I bet by next year at this time, people will barely remember that Natalie won Survivor and they'll only remember that Russell lost.

Either way, I bet Jeff Probst is extremely thankful that Russell was on the cast this season. Russell was the spice in an otherwise bland season of Survivor.

Russell may do ok in the next season.

Who would not want to let him cut throats all the way to the end, assuming they believe it is not theirs, when he can't win it all.

I'm sure he has a good shot since his fellow tribe mates most likely knew nothing about him when they filmed.

Based on how Russell looked at the reunion, and his reaction, I figure he got pretty close to the end in the All-Star but failed to face the jury. So this was his only shot at the million.

An annoying person has never won? You ever heard of Richard Hatch? That guy was all about annoying.

I didn't say that a jerk has never won Survivor. That's happened several times. But all the assholes who won Survivor, including Richard Hatch were able to get along with people socially enough to get the jury's votes. I don't think I've ever seen anyone win who drove everyone else on the tribe crazy and who they couldn't stand.

It never ceases to amaze me how bad the survivors look at the reunion shows!:huh: who the hell does their makeup?? they need to tone it down about 100 notches!

Natalie should not wear makeup.

!
Every year it amazes me that so many of the contestants look worse at the reunion than on the island. Lividmanda was a great example of this, and several others get too much hair/makeup for the final as Ratalie did.

As for Russell, he definitely killed his chances with how he was in front of the jury..may not have won anyway as many of the Galu just seemed to hold a grudge against him, but if he was more praising of them and less cocky, he may have gotten more than 2 votes. And why was everyone so Anti-Mick...dude got the Becky treatment.

And as for the Early Show...why is Russell there when Natalie is getting the check? CBS knows he was the meal ticket this season, but when we already know he was upset about losing, why put him on to get the million dollar check rubbed in his face?

He definitely dominated the game strategy-wise, was amazing with the idols, but his social skills (lack thereof) were his come-uppance. Should have gone along with the original plan of Mick and Jaison to take out Natalie when Brett won immunity at 5. He would have beaten Mick and Jaison.

Looking forward to Zeroes vs Villains...c'mon
Boston Rob
!

Every year it amazes me that so many of the contestants look worse at the reunion than on the island. Lividmanda was a great example of this, and several others get too much hair/makeup for the final as Ratalie did.

I agree, although I will give credit where credit is due. I thought Ashley looked great, and surprise, she didn't go overboard with the makeup. Not a coincidence.

As for Russell, we've seen how he's acted, and yes, he needs to get over it. But there's no doubt that he is the sole reason that this season was as good as it was, and despite his style, he deserved to win this edition.

Jeff Probst blogs about 'Survivor' finale: 'Nobody outplayed Russell' | EW.com

Jeff Probst blogs about 'Survivor' finale: 'Nobody outplayed Russell'
by Jeff Probst
Categories: Reality TV, Survivor
Okay, now that the show is officially over I’m going to take off my hosting and producing hat and just give you my personal reaction to what went down last night.

I think Russell was the victim of a jury of bitter people. I am not taking anything away from Natalie, she clearly did a great job of reading the group dynamic of the jury and as a result she deserves the money.

Oftentimes on Survivor, the vote does come down to a choice where a determining factor is “how nice someone is” but that’s usually when all other criteria being considered is equal. That doesn’t hold up this season. This season was so lopsided in terms of one person (Russell) completely dominating the game that to not give him the money and the title is a bit silly.

If I were playing Survivor, no matter how much I despised someone, if they kicked my ass in the game I would give it to them. Period. Outwit. Outplay. Nobody outwitted or outplayed Russell. Not even close.
I was a bit surprised at Erik’s nod to Natalie during the final tribal council. I think he certainly helped Natalie and definitely hurt Russell. I also think that when Erik watches this season again in a few years he will regret not giving his vote to Russell. Erik is the kind of guy who I thought would respect a player like Russell. I think Erik was still smarting from the whole Galu disaster.

I do not believe the jury voted for Natalie, I believe the jury voted against Russell.

Russell was clearly upset last night and I think a lot of people understand why that would be. He played a very risky and creative game and he wanted to be acknowledged. As for the audience, they spoke quite loudly when they awarded him the $100,000 from Sprint by an overwhelming 46% Russell to 10% Shambo… and 7% Natalie. Not even close. I put myself in that same group. Again, I’m speaking as a fan, not as a host or a producer.

But hey this is how it goes, it’s why Survivor is so fun to watch, you can never predict the outcome. So…

A FEW QUESTIONS…
Q. Can you be considered the greatest player ever if you don’t win? Hmmm. It’s a tough question for me. On one hand, it’s a no-brainer, absolutely not. Survivor is a social game and to win you have to vote people out in a way that compels them to return and vote for you to win the game. It’s extremely complicated and Russell did not achieve it, therefore he cannot be considered the greatest player to ever play. On the other hand, I can’t think of anybody who has ever played a game like Russell played. It was so dominating that I am still shaking my head that he didn’t win. The only guy I could even see having the talent and guts to do something equally dominating would be Boston Rob. So I am on the fence on this one. But this much I am certain of – Russell is without any question ONE of the greats. No doubt about it.

Q. Did Natalie play a better game than Russell? For me, that’s a bit easier to answer. I do not think that Natalie played a better game, but rather was the right person in the right position who made one very good strategic move and that was to stay out of Russell’s way, and as a result she ended up with the money. But to be fair – a very good counter argument is that Natalie used her strengths, avoided her weaknesses and by taking this active approach to the game, she put herself in position to win the money and it paid off. It’s a counter argument, but not one that I’m that fond of supporting.

Q. Was this a great season or a lame season? For me, this is another easy question. Survivor: Samoa will rank as one of my favorite seasons and for one reason: Russell Hantz. He single handedly kept this show interesting week after week after week. But I know some will argue that because it was “The Russell Season” it lacked having more big characters and therefore does not rank as high. This is one that will be debated by Survivor fans for years to come.

LIFE GOES ON AND SO DOES SURVIVOR
I hope you’re all jazzed about Survivor: Heroes Vs. Villains. I think you are going to really enjoy it! We have an all-star cast returning. A lot of people you will expect and want to see and a couple of surprise choices that may leave you scratching your head, which we love, by the way.

As for Russell, we've seen how he's acted, and yes, he needs to get over it. But there's no doubt that he is the sole reason that this season was as good as it was, and despite his style, he deserved to win this edition.

Me, Jeff and the rest of North America agree with you.

But, we've seen this happen before. I remember several seasons back when that dude Terry was dominating the challenges and only came in third I think.

Mick...dude got the Becky treatment.

Someone always gets the Becky treatment when there are three finalists. I much prefer an F2.

I agree, although I will give credit where credit is due. I thought Ashley looked great, and surprise, she didn't go overboard with the makeup.

I would also add that I thought that Kelly, was it?, looked great sitting on the jury from week to week. The make-up seemed more understated for the jury members during the season. And what's her name--Shambo's archenemy--holy cow, the makeup really helped her a LOT!

I thought Jeff put it well: This was not a vote for Natalie, it was a vote against Russell. Which I think is really lame.

I wonder if things would have been different for Russell if he had answered the question "what are you like off the show" differently. Like, what if he had said "I own a business and it is a cut throat business. I do what I have to do to succeed." Do you think his "honor, integrity and (something else)" answer was too much and annoyed enough people to change the vote?

But the Jury seemed to be a bunch of sour grapes towards each of the final three during their question time. Like, more than usual...and the way he played combined with their attitudes, it came back to bite him. Their attitudes after being voted off was a dynamic he could not control...maybe the only one in the whole season.

I wonder if things would have been different for Russell if he had answered the question "what are you like off the show" differently. Like, what if he had said "I own a business and it is a cut throat business. I do what I have to do to succeed." Do you think his "honor, integrity and (something else)" answer was too much and annoyed enough people to change the vote?

I thought one of the 3 words he should have used was "family", he had mentioned his daughters a few times, I think if he made that the focal point of his answer to that question he'd have served himself much better.

I don't think Russell could do much by the time he got to the jury. At least a couple of the women who voted for Natalie said Russell was pretty creepy around camp, and a lot of people have said he was plain unlikable and rude to the jury members.

His game was tailored to get to the end, but not to win over a jury.

He should have tried to bring unlikable people to the jury with him.

Richard Hatch wasn't that likable, but he went up against Kelly, who had a lot of enemies in Season 1.

I got a kick out of this interview with Natalie and Russell:

Interview with Russell Hantz and Natalie White ? ?Let?s rename it the social game!? - Fans Of Reality TV

What shocked you the most about that final jury tribal council both you guys went through?

Natalie: Well for me, I’ve always watched seasons in the past, and you’re at your worst mentally, emotionally, and physically, and you’re pretty prepared to be criticized. But it seemed extra brutal. It was rough. And you know, they’re long. They’re a couple of hours, so you get pounded up there, on the last day, when you’re at your absolute worst. And for me, I guess I didn’t think people would get … I guess people were a little more hateful than I thought they would be. But it makes you fight for yourself, so in turn it was better for me, because I was able, you know, to fight for myself.

Russell: I thought that my speech was brilliant. As I talked, I was laying out everything that I did. I weeded everybody out, and then I tagged Mick alone. I thought that I laid everything out for them. What can you do … weigh it out. If she outwitted me, and outplayed me, give her the money. She was nicer to people than me, but just weigh it out. Which weighs more? That’s called a bitter jury. That’s what it is. Yeah, she had a better social game than me, but did she have a better strategic game than me? Did she have a better physical game than me? No. So let’s weigh it out. When you use common sense, when you weigh it logically, it just seems like it would’ve had to be my vote.

Natalie: Well it wasn’t, because you were so mean to everybody. It’s a social game. I mean you have to at least admit that it’s a social game.

Russell: Yeah, it’s a social game, social game, social game. Let’s rename it the social game! Because that’s all it is. If it was a social game and only that, and only people like you were playing in it, then you know what would happen? They would’ve shut it down before the first season would even be finished. Because you’re that damn boring.

Natalie: Well, you know what, I may be boring, but guess what, I got the check. So that’s all that matters; I don’t care.

Russell: [stutters] Yeah, well …

Natalie: Yeah, I know you don’t have anything to say.

Russell: You wanna talk about money? You wanna see my bank account?

Natalie: I don’t really care about your bank account.

Russell: I don’t really care about your check.

Natalie: [laughs] Yeah you do. You wanted the title. You do, you do care. You wanted to win, and you hate it that you didn’t win, and I’m sorry that you didn’t take into account the jury. You did not play the social card, at all. Period.

Russell: I can’t understand how stupid you are. You think the social game is the game. You sit there and say, it’s a social game, it’s a social game. How can you be that ignorant? How can you be that stupid?

Natalie: Well guess what, I played the player, so just shut it up now.

Russell: Calm down, calm down.

Natalie: You’re not used to getting a rise out of me; well, you got a rise.

As long as Natalie has got that check, she's got bragging rights. Hopefully, Russell will end his little pity party. If he feels he's the best, he'll have a chance to prove it next season.

I don't think Russell could do much by the time he got to the jury. At least a couple of the women who voted for Natalie said Russell was pretty creepy around camp, and a lot of people have said he was plain unlikable and rude to the jury members.

His game was tailored to get to the end, but not to win over a jury.

He should have tried to bring unlikable people to the jury with him.

Richard Hatch wasn't that likable, but he went up against Kelly, who had a lot of enemies in Season 1.

I got a kick out of this interview with Natalie and Russell:

Interview with Russell Hantz and Natalie White � �Let�s rename it the social game!� - Fans Of Reality TV

What shocked you the most about that final jury tribal council both you guys went through?

Natalie: Well for me, I’ve always watched seasons in the past, and you’re at your worst mentally, emotionally, and physically, and you’re pretty prepared to be criticized. But it seemed extra brutal. It was rough. And you know, they’re long. They’re a couple of hours, so you get pounded up there, on the last day, when you’re at your absolute worst. And for me, I guess I didn’t think people would get … I guess people were a little more hateful than I thought they would be. But it makes you fight for yourself, so in turn it was better for me, because I was able, you know, to fight for myself.

Russell: I thought that my speech was brilliant. As I talked, I was laying out everything that I did. I weeded everybody out, and then I tagged Mick alone. I thought that I laid everything out for them. What can you do … weigh it out. If she outwitted me, and outplayed me, give her the money. She was nicer to people than me, but just weigh it out. Which weighs more? That’s called a bitter jury. That’s what it is. Yeah, she had a better social game than me, but did she have a better strategic game than me? Did she have a better physical game than me? No. So let’s weigh it out. When you use common sense, when you weigh it logically, it just seems like it would’ve had to be my vote.

Natalie: Well it wasn’t, because you were so mean to everybody. It’s a social game. I mean you have to at least admit that it’s a social game.

Russell: Yeah, it’s a social game, social game, social game. Let’s rename it the social game! Because that’s all it is. If it was a social game and only that, and only people like you were playing in it, then you know what would happen? They would’ve shut it down before the first season would even be finished. Because you’re that damn boring.

Natalie: Well, you know what, I may be boring, but guess what, I got the check. So that’s all that matters; I don’t care.

Russell: [stutters] Yeah, well …

Natalie: Yeah, I know you don’t have anything to say.

Russell: You wanna talk about money? You wanna see my bank account?

Natalie: I don’t really care about your bank account.

Russell: I don’t really care about your check.

Natalie: [laughs] Yeah you do. You wanted the title. You do, you do care. You wanted to win, and you hate it that you didn’t win, and I’m sorry that you didn’t take into account the jury. You did not play the social card, at all. Period.

Russell: I can’t understand how stupid you are. You think the social game is the game. You sit there and say, it’s a social game, it’s a social game. How can you be that ignorant? How can you be that stupid?

Natalie: Well guess what, I played the player, so just shut it up now.

Russell: Calm down, calm down.

Natalie: You’re not used to getting a rise out of me; well, you got a rise.

Russell just keeps looking uglier and uglier. He's like the Tiger Woods of Survivor.

I mean whose really the "stupid" here? The one who thinks Survivor is a social game and got the check, or the guy who foolishly thinks winning Survivor is soley based on rationality and common sense. . .

I'm really beginning to think that Russell didn't understand the game as well as I thought. Especially if it turns out that he'd been turning people off from well before the jury.

Perhaps he's not as sharp as I've given him credit for.

Russell just keeps looking uglier and uglier. He's like the Tiger Woods of Survivor.

Russell is the gift that keeps on giving :applaud:

He got seriously hosed by the jury...but it's probably more entertaining that he lost. I love how he threw Jaison's socks into the fire again.

Hopefully he made it deep into the all-star game.

Back
Top Bottom