Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains Winner - CBS News Video

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #542
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:13 AM
What would we say about a person who gripes that the team that won the basketball championship isn't really all that good?

Who would suggest that the winner of the Super Bowl just "got lucky."

In no other game would we suggest that the winner (much less a two-time winner) is completely undeserving.

Yet, in Survivor we do it all the time.

Perhaps it's because we can't agree on what the game is about. It's pretty clear what it means to be a good basketball or football player--but even then those skills gain their value because they lead to winning. Who hasn't seen a basketball player in a pick up game who is all flash and dazzle but doesn't actually score much? In the end, the ability to win is ultimately what makes someone a good player.

So what do the great players of Survivor have? What are the winning qualities? I would suggest an ability to keep a clear head--to stay focused on the goal. All the best players have not let emotion cloud their judgement. Sandra tried her hardest to get Russell out--but only to the extent that it wouldn't come back to bite her. As much as she couldn't stand him, she stuck with him--until she didn't need to any more. The best players are flexible--they change their approach to the game as the circumstances around them change. The best players know how to work with people--at best they can get others to do what they want, and at the very least they can at least keep them looking at someone else when tribal council comes around. Winning challenges? Challenges are only important as a means to an end--they're sole purpose is to increase your odds of staying in the game. If you can stay in the game without winning them, than so much the better. This isn't the Olympics--you don't win the money for being the best athelete. It's outwit, outplay, outlast--not outmuscle.

Overall, I felt Pavarti was the best player, but I do not in any way feel that Sandra was undeserving. She wisely played her oppositon to Russell to the jury. I think she could read their mood, and new that distancing herself from Russell was to her advantage.

Russell's game has a short shelf life. His kind of scorched earth play only works when no one knows who he is. If they ever invite him back, I think it's unlikely he'll be able to get away with playing the kind of game he did these past two seasons.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #543
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Russell's got his story and he's sticking to it.

To me it does reveal his (not the game's) fatal flaw--both Sandra and Parvarti seemed to be able to take a step back and analyze the game objectively. Russell can't seem to do that. If you can't step back and see "here's what I'm doing well, here's what's working, here's what's not working, here's what others are doing well" that creates a huge blind spot. He's started with the assumption that he's the greatest player ever and then spends the rest of the time trying to make the facts line up with that that assumption.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #544
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

'Survivor Talk': Russell and Parvati argue over who deserved to win 'Heroes vs Villains' | EW.com

Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #545
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
How in the world do they even know all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
The survivors leak it to people. I asked and someone said Russell spoiled the last two seasons. Though I dont know if they're bullshitting me or not. I suppose any of the producers, staff, survivors could tell just 1 person and it goes from there..

Yeah it's people who work on the sets and production teams that leak stuff too. Like Sicy says all it takes is for one person to say one thing to another person and it spreads like wildfire (and can snowball out of control too).
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #546
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:13 AM
I agree with Sean, and he said it better than I could, re: Sandra winning.

I do think it's a bit unfair to Russell that he played twice before he really understood how the end works...but I don't think he'd change. But then again, it should have been pretty obvious as the jury formed that it was going to be a jury of mostly "heroes", and most of them would value a straight game over the other style (call it strategic or "social game" or scumbagging depending on your point of view).

I actually thought Parvati deserved to win, she played strategically without Russ' abrasiveness, and I think that's the right balance. I was also impressed with her performance in challenges. And I actually thought she would win, until I started hearing comments about how she "rode Russ' coattails", which I thought was off-base. And when Rupert said what he did about Sandra repeatedly trying to reach out to the Heroes I started thinking Sandra would win.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #547
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I do think it's a bit unfair to Russell that he played twice before he really understood how the end works...
That's his bad for not watching previous seasons.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #548
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
That's his bad for not watching previous seasons.
Well, I meant how it would work for him. You know, if he'd been able to finish his season and reunion before doing H vs. V. Though somehow I doubt it would change anything; I kind of think he is who he is.

Call me a fanboy but I really like the "all star" type shows. I suppose it does get old when you start seeing people for a 3rd time, and I could have done without seeing half of the people from HvV again, but I could definitely get into seeing Russ, Rob, Coach, Parv...even goofy Rupert again.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #549
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon - Video Blog - The Survivor Heroes vs. Villains Finalists - Watch Episodes, Video, and Clips for Free - NBC Official Site
Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #550
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Hey Sicy, have you kept up your conversations with Coach?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #551
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

A little here and there. I am waiting for him to tell me whatever happened to the Dragonz lol.

Here's Jeff's finale blog.

Jeff Probst blogs the finale of 'Survivor: Heroes vs Villains' | EW.com
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #552
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I thought Coach was such a dick and now I like him after the changes in him this season and how cool he's been communicating with Sicy! But on the other hand in the beginning I liked Russell cuz I thought he'd be a good player floating under the radar what with him not wanting to reveal too much about himself then he turned out as time passed to be a Devil. Now I think he's such a dick.

Do keep us posted on any Coach communication, Sicy!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #553
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Thanks for the links, Sicy. All very insightful and enjoyable.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #554
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

No problem.

So Survivor is going to be switched back to Wednesdays. It aired on Wednesdays Season 1 and its been Thursdays ever since. That is going to be WEIRD.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #555
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
No problem.

So Survivor is going to be switched back to Wednesdays. It aired on Wednesdays Season 1 and its been Thursdays ever since. That is going to be WEIRD.
That's better for me, I watch a bunch of (FOX) stuff on Thursdays but only Criminal Minds on Wednesdays.

Tags
survivor