Survivor Gabon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daddysgonnapay, Erik said that Ozzy cheated on Amanda. That's the word on the street from late this summer. Still, in the Survivor community, it's hard to tell when a relationship ends or begins unless the two people involved are seen together out in the real world.

Hewson, sorry but Ozzy had no game. Remember that he threw the second immunity challenge just to vote somebody out? There wasn't a good enough reason to do that so early in the game. He affected little strategy at camp as it was pretty much all Yul's doing...plus, Ozzy even had a shot to flush out the idol at F5 and then have a chance at voting out Yul at F4. He didn't take Adam up on that. Not a very good game player, and if winning challenges really meant something, Terry Deitz would have also made that list.

MrPryck2U, you say that Richard wouldn't have lasted long in other seasons of the show, but he was pretty well liked in Borneo. Colleen/Gervase both admitted that they only voted for Kelly to win because they felt bad for her after Sue's snakes & rats speech. It'd have been 6-1 in favor of Hatch. Also, when was he ever slimy in either season? Again, he never back stabbed his alliance mates in either season. Now, there was the Sue Hawk grinding issue...but that's for another day. And if you're gonna knock him down for that, remember Ted/Ghandia in Thailand as well...but anyway, Richard stuck with Rudy to the end in the first season, making the two of them the most loyal players in that entire game.

Also, lest we forget that Hatch usually finishes first in greatest character polls. You may not like the person known as Richard Hatch, or Randy or Shane but you certainly wouldn't want to watch a season with 16 Bobs, would you?

As for the upcoming episode, yes, it's indeed a clip show. But it goes a bit further by including deleted scenes, and for the first time in ages, the audition tapes.

MrPryck2U, you say that Richard wouldn't have lasted long in other seasons of the show, but he was pretty well liked in Borneo. Colleen/Gervase both admitted that they only voted for Kelly to win because they felt bad for her after Sue's snakes & rats speech. It'd have been 6-1 in favor of Hatch. Also, when was he ever slimy in either season? Again, he never back stabbed his alliance mates in either season.

:yes: It's one thing to be an asshole to the cameras during those interview portions, but my impression was that Richard always kept the snarkiness there and came across as a likable guy to his fellow castways.

A lesson Randy clearly hasn't learned.

I can't think of anyone who won Survivor that wasn't a smooth social player. People that irritate other people simply don't last long.

Comparing the social games of the winners to their final tribal council rivals...

Richard: Better
Tina: Better
Ethan: Better
Vecepia: Better
Brian: Worse
Jenna: Better
Sandra: Better
Amber: Better?
Chris: Better
Tom: Better
Danni: Better
Aras: Better
Yul: Better
Earl: Better
Todd: Better Than Amanda, Not As Good As Courtney
Parvati: Better

Definitely a correlation there....you could almost chalk it up to being a popularity contest. But, just from a pure strategic standpoint, I think Danni is the only winner that doesn't have a clear case over her competition from that angle (especially with her god-awful jury answers), but she's definitely over the hurdle when the strategic/social game are added together.

Now, it would be interesting to see a F2 or F3 with solely unlikeable people. It's not out of the question. Brian/Clay weren't really the smoothest from that perspective. But, in that case, the person that objectively played the best game would win just as they have in every other season....but there'd be an interesting jury response and little-to-no favoritism like Amanda getting three votes from poor sports.

I did almost die when I saw the Axver comment, but in truth I spend little to no time on this Survivor stuff and, frankly, probably make two posts a week on the subject. I'm a bit more involved with the show, still, because it's the only thing that everybody in my family watches, so we discuss it from time to time, usually concerning how we think it will play out. Believe me though, for every 1 minute I spend on Survivor, Axver's spending three hours on U2. :up:

:yes: It's one thing to be an asshole to the cameras during those interview portions, but my impression was that Richard always kept the snarkiness there and came across as a likable guy to his fellow castways.

A lesson Randy clearly hasn't learned.

I can't think of anyone who won Survivor that wasn't a smooth social player. People that irritate other people simply don't last long.

Plus lets face it, Hatch drew the blueprint on how to play the game.

Survivor is so different now then it was when Richard was first on the show. He got away with a lot of lying and telling people what they wanted to hear. In the last several seasons, it seems like the contestants have less tolerance for liars. That's why I believe that in later editions of the show, Richard wouldn't have lasted very long. Obviously, one of Hatch's best moves was to form an alliance with Rudy. Sue Hawk's speech was pretty ridiculous and Colleen and Gervase were a couple of dopes. Richard was just fortunate that he was on the first season of Survivor. Nobody really knew how to play the game, but Richard had a strategy that worked for him. I haven't seen the first season in a long time, but I guess one thing that was a little slimy was when Richard pretended like he didn't know how to make a fire when he actually did know how. I suppose if I had the time or the inclination, I could go back and review how Richard was a scumbag, but he ain't worth it.

Randy's mistake was that he wasn't able to hide his dislike for his fellow contestants.

Survivor is so different now then it was when Richard was first on the show. He got away with a lot of lying and telling people what they wanted to hear.

I haven't seen the first season in a long time, but I guess one thing that was a little slimy was when Richard pretended like he didn't know how to make a fire when he actually did know how.

To answer your first part, no he didn't. Richard didn't lie to anyone at all in Borneo. He formed a four-some alliance, which Kelly left, and then decided to stay true to his three-some and his number one alliance mate, Rudy. There wasn't any incessant lying except for his own alliance having to cover their tracks. I don't think Richard put the wool over their eyes to the same extent as Parvati or used the "I deserve this" mantra as much as Tom. Again, you're saying all of this because of what he's done since the first season and disregarding the man's game completely. There's few other players (and winners) that would've recognized the importance of stepping down in the final immunity challenge the way he did, for example. There were plenty of clear game moves that season that he made which are still bold and definitely "the blueprint" on how to win this game.

And the second part you posted was from All Stars. And whatever, it's strategy. Richard won his game fair & square and definitely could've won in other seasons. Someone like Tom Westman would've had his ass handed to him if he didn't play with the sheep he did on Palau, etc. Imagine him trying to play against Cesternino & the young kids in Amazon...he probably wouldn't have made the merge. It's all relative. But Brian & Chris are definitely slimier winners than Hatch.

Sugar is pretty hot. :drool:

n1435471128_30006459_9521.jpg

And apparently Ace is not mad at her. :hmm:

n1435471128_30131432_955.jpg

I wonder who Sugar married....I heard it was John Landis....but then I heard it was not that John Landis...either way, the fact that Ace is at her wedding in that picture means things softened for them since, after all, it is just a game.

But I think Ace went a bit overboard with the post-show, emergency gorging. :lol:

Actually, I think those pics are from Halloween (I am looking at them on her facebook).

sugar.jpg

I don't think she's married. Her relationship status says "It's complicated" lol.

In the larger picture, I recognize Bob Dawg and Bruce from Survivor: Panama...also looks like Rita from Cook Islands is there along with Alexis from Fans vs Favorites...

These have varied from time-to-time....they've been better in recent years since they re-emerged in Survivor: Panama with an episode that was heavy on "never before seen footage"...this one still spent too much time re-capping things. Nobody needs to see what has already gone down since I doubt you're going to ensnare too many viewers that haven't yet tuned in this season by airing a meager clip show on Thanksgiving...

Definitely a correlation there....you could almost chalk it up to being a popularity contest. But, just from a pure strategic standpoint, I think Danni is the only winner that doesn't have a clear case over her competition from that angle (especially with her god-awful jury answers), but she's definitely over the hurdle when the strategic/social game are added together.

Actually my argument was less about whether the better social player would win (though it appears that is indeed the case based on your comparison), but more that people who don't know how to play the game socially generally don't make it to the finals in the first place. That leaves a lot of room for people to think of you as dumb, dishonest, a weak player, etc. The one thing you can NOT be however is annoying.

Re: Danni. :drool: I found HER to be hottest Survivor ever. I was actually a little sad when her season ended. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

But Brian & Chris are definitely slimier winners than Hatch.

True. I find it interesting that the winners of Survivor with the exception of the two above and maybe a few others belie the common fallacy among non-Survivor fans that the show rewards bad behavior. You know you'll hear people say rather sanctimoniously (I've even heard preachers mention it in church as an illustration of how society is going to the dogs): "Oh that Survivor show. I just think it's wrong how it glorifies lying and backstabbing"--and then you look at most of the people who actually won, and very few of them gloried in lying and backstabbing.

Now Big Brother. . .that's a different story. . .

I still think socially inept people can win this game. If their tribe has the numbers and then they point the targets at the likely winners...you could definitely end up with a Final Two that's absolutely despised or completely lacking in social skills. The real problem for those sort of people is making the merge, but given the right twists here or there, it's not out of the imagination.

Well, I asked Eliza over at Sucks who she would have had on Fans vs. Favorites from a purely objective standpoint (entertainment value over everything else):

That's actually a tough question. I'd rather have cast people who I knew would be loyal to me. I also think that there would have been people I would have bonded with more than the people who were there. I think Terry Deitz should have been there. I would have wanted Michelle Yi there and I think Peih-Gee and I would have gotten along well. I would have wanted Rafe there and Coby. Even Bobby Jon or Judd.

It's hard to be objective on the matter, but I think if I were really trying not to be biased, then Twila and Shane should both have been there.

I'll have to think more about it. I don't think I've fully answered your question.

She's definitely got good tastes and knows who played big roles in their seasons. That's what I really like about Eliza & Jonathan. They both know the game really well and don't take things personally.

But yeah, that's still not as cool as having them write on your wall, but I have talked to Johnny Fairplay, argued with Jenna Morasca, talked shit with Jeff Varner, and asked some interesting questions to Sandra amongst others.

I have talked to Johnny Fairplay, argued with Jenna Morasca, talked shit with Jeff Varner, and asked some interesting questions to Sandra amongst others.

That's cool. :up: Do a lot of them post over there?

So the story is.. lol.. Randy posted a photoshopped picture on his facebook of a giant cookie in a slingshot aimed at Sugar.. and then Sugar bitched about it in her status line so I made this pic and posted it on her wall :lol:

n593664691_1688291_9242.jpg

She liked it, called me wonderful and hugged and kissed me. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom