Survivor Gabon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
I know - its months away, but the first bit of news is filtering through...

The Associated Press: Probst: Production problems on 'Survivor: Gabon'

Probst: Production problems on 'Survivor: Gabon'
By DERRIK J. LANG – 1 day ago

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) — Jeff Probst says the upcoming season of "Survivor" has already hit a few snags. "Survivor: Gabon — Earth's Last Eden" has been plagued with several preproduction problems, Probst told The Associated Press at a restaurant opening Wednesday.

The dilemmas for the 17th season of the CBS reality show, which begins filming in Africa later this month, range from encroaching animals to slow shipments.

"Our shipping has been really delayed," Probst said. "One aspect of 'Survivor' that is different from a lot of shows is that we have to ship throughout the season, and we're about 30 days behind now, which is a major problem. We're going to be fine on the show, but the crew housing is not there. We're going to be in tents."

Other than the habitation hindrance, Probst also said a crane had fallen over and a cargo hold containing about $100,000 worth of food had gone missing. The lumber used for building props and set pieces for challenges and Tribal Council, however, had safely arrived. Probst said the "Survivor" crew was also having an issue with something that was already present: wildlife.

"We have a danger problem with animals that we're trying to figure out how to handle," the "Survivor" host said. "There's so much truly wild life out there, we're not sure what to do. We don't want the animals around for a safety reasons, but we'd love to have a hippo sneak in every so often. I just got a call from our executive producer that we've got hippo tracks at base camp."

"Survivor: Gabon," which will feature 18 castaways living in the wilderness in the West African country, will be filmed in high-definition and is slated to premiere in the fall. It's the first time the competitive reality series has returned to Africa since its Kenya-set third season. Probst said he doesn't think the snafus will halt production.

"These things for us usually have a way of turning into good things," he said.

Source - AP Newswire

Hippos! :love: Of course they can be murderous beasties...

And 18 castaways - hasn't the last few been 20 or was that just Fans VS Favourites?

:applaud: Just the thought of Survivor makes me happy. The shows that are on now all suck IMO, especially the Mole show. I can't wait for Survivor to come back on. I hope they get to the bottom of the delays and challenges they are facing in pre production! :love:

And 18 castaways - hasn't the last few been 20 or was that just Fans VS Favourites?

Borneo through Pearl Islands - 16
All Stars - 18
Vanuatu - 18
Palau - 18 (after two were eliminated outright)
Guatemala - 18
Panama: Exile Island - 16
Cook Islands - 20
Fiji - 19 (after a female contestant quit before filming)
China - 16
Micronesia: Fans vs. Favorites - 20

Personally, I think the two recent seasons with 16 were the best since the last with sixteen (Pearl Islands)...gives us way more time to let the characters develop. Obviously, adding two more people to the cast of China or Panama probably wouldn't have really limited the number of big characters but having only 16 certainly lets the minor ones shine through rather than be an afterthought. On the other end of things, Cook Islands/Fiji were mostly filled with recruits because they wanted a more ethnically varied cast along with people who knew jack about the show. Fiji, for instance, had only one applicant (busdriver Gary). Last season was slightly weak near the first half because of the fans tribe, half of which weren't even hardcore fans in the first place. None of them was remotely entertaining aside from Tracy helping keep the weaklings around.

They'll never go back to sixteen after what happened last season though. Two people quitting for mental reasons (Fairplay/Kathy), one quitting for medical reasons (Chet who was hospitalized after), and two medivacced out of the game (Jonathan/James).

But we should also not go back to 20 which always gives us three or four more people to make the "invisible Survivors Hall of Fame"

I've just finishing rewatching Vanuatu - and yeah there were a few there that just kind of blahhed me out. Then again the fact I had to sit through Eliza and Twila in almost every damn episode kind of kills that season for me anyhow. I'm gonna watch Palau next.

Any Survivor news is good news:drool::drool: When I read the thread title I got excited thinking they bumped up the premiere. I think this is going to be one great season in terms of location!

Fans VS Favourites is an excellent excellent season.

I got impatient waiting for Channel 9 to schedule the series here in Australia (it looks like we will have to wait a while longer - hopefully they wont skip it to go straight to Gabon but I bet they will) so I just hit the torrent sites.

F*ck waiting for TV. There have been some great shows we haven't got yet - Chuck for instance.

Most Australians still haven't seen Survivor: Marquesas. The network scheduled Australian Survivor instead which was actually pretty damn good and my favorite of the foreign seasons. The celebrity edition in Australia was also marvelous, particularly the production values. Definitely looked better than the American seasons which makes me salivate for HD Survivor this fall. :drool:

Only thing lame about the world's only edition of celebrity Survivor was the outcast twist and the two bozo girls deciding to vote with the outcasts which pretty much canned their own game. :down:

But if any of you can, look out on the web for Australian Survivor. Wonderful cast, cool challenges. A guy raps himself out of a challenge then finds the most unlikely way to make the F3. Someone wins the car reward and has never driven in their life (they sold the car after the show because they were rubbish at driving). An 18 year old girl is in the cast and is the cutest and most useless Survivor in history. Don't even get me started on one cast member supplying another from the opposite alliance with extra food because they view them as a heroic warrior. :applaud:

Not earth shattering news - but exciting nonetheless! The new season starts Thursday, September 18!!! I'd expect the CBS website to have a few contestants details up soon... Yay! :drool:

In the preview last night, Jeff was worried about his wrinkles in HD.

And the art department was worried that now viewers would be able to see the duct tape :lol:

Back
Top Bottom