Stay Classy Mel Gibson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh for Pete's sake.

i know it's fun to feel all outraged, but no one is "defending" Polanski.

Polansk raped a teenager 30 years ago. Mel Gibson beat his wife a year (?) ago and is as emotionally abusive as he was physically abusive.

if we want to rank people on a perceived "food chain," go right ahead and do so. just don't get all self-righteous about determining which person is more bad. or who deserves what punishment -- we have courts and laws for that, and jails.

making a distinction is not making a defense. and the distinction i was trying to make was, when deciding whether or not to boycott a particular artist, perhaps one consideration might be the fact that Polanski appears to not have committed the same crime in the past 30 years. you know, in our society, we sentence people to jail for a certain period of time and they pay their debt to society and they hopefully come out reformed and don't commit the crime again and become productive members of society. sure, it might make us feel good to continually rake people over the coals and scream at them, but it doesn't really do anyone else any good. Polanski should do time in jail today for the jail time he should have done in 1977. he did a very, very bad thing.

Mel Gibson continues to do very, very bad things -- drunk driving, spousal abuse -- and he hasn't seemed to have paid any price or served any time. he should.

he's also a misogynist, racist, homophobe, and anti-Semite. :shrug:

if we want to rank people on a perceived "food chain," go right ahead and do so. just don't get all self-righteous about determining which person is more bad. or who deserves what punishment -- we have courts and laws for that, and jails.

Thats assuming folks don't flee to France. :wink:

oh for Pete's sake.

i know it's fun to feel all outraged, but no one is "defending" Polanski.

Polansk raped a teenager 30 years ago. Mel Gibson beat his wife a year (?) ago and is as emotionally abusive as he was physically abusive.

making a distinction is not making a defense. and the distinction i was trying to make was, when deciding whether or not to boycott a particular artist, perhaps one consideration might be the fact that Polanski appears to not have committed the same crime in the past 30 years. you know, in our society, we sentence people to jail for a certain period of time and they pay their debt to society and they hopefully come out reformed and don't commit the crime again and become productive members of society. sure, it might make us feel good to continually rake people over the coals and scream at them, but it doesn't really do anyone else any good. Polanski should do time in jail today for the jail time he should have done in 1977. he did a very, very bad thing.

Mel Gibson continues to do very, very bad things -- drunk driving, spousal abuse -- and he hasn't seemed to have paid any price or served any time. he should.

I never said you were defending Polanski-but a rapist is a rapist and in my opinion he never really paid for it..and the whole Hollywood attitude with that petition and people like Whoopi and now Mel Gibson. Whoopi is also not the only person on the face of the earth who believes in that whole "it wasn't rape rape" thing. Many people still do, unfortunately-and not just celebrity friends. That's what really makes me so angry and upset and I can't separate that from any mention of Polanski, sorry. Polanski and Mel have the Hollywood issues in common but other than that I don't see any connection or comparison. Except for the fact that they're both arrogant men with major problems who have gotten away with many things in life-criminal or otherwise. The big question is, why. Polanski ran away, that's one reason. I don't feel all outraged because it's "fun".

May I intercede for Mel Gibson...

Hitting his wife was wrong and saying racist remarks was wrong.

But...

NOT ONE MAN gets that crazy and angry for no reason. I know women and what they're capable of. Looking at this russian model and her past I can tell she knows her way around manipulating the hell out of a guy and making him jealous.

Just the fact that she decided to record him can let you know that she knew she'd be pressing his buttons. Sure, Gibson crossed the line but I'm way positive he was somewhat provoked. I'll sign that with two hands.

But...

NOT ONE MAN gets that crazy and angry for no reason. I know women and what they're capable of. Looking at this russian model and her past I can tell she knows her way around manipulating the hell out of a guy and making him jealous.

Just the fact that she decided to record him can let you know that she knew she'd be pressing his buttons. Sure, Gibson crossed the line but I'm way positive he was somewhat provoked. I'll sign that with two hands.

Nothing - NOTHING - gives anyone, man or woman, the right to talk to another human being that way. There are no excuses, provocations or not. I'm shocked people are even saying things like what you're saying. It's just not right.

And the fact that she recorded it could also be that she had had enough of his antics and decided to get proof of it.

WOW. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at your post.

But...

:corn:

EDIT: I won't even say anything about this post...

Nothing - NOTHING - gives anyone, man or woman, the right to talk to another human being that way. There are no excuses, provocations or not. I'm shocked people are even saying things like what you're saying. It's just not right.

And the fact that she recorded it could also be that she had had enough of his antics and decided to get proof of it.

WOW. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at your post.

Clearly you've never dated a girl like that. And I'm not defending him. I said, I understand and that I know that he wasn't like that out of the blue. The guy was provoked. If you're a girl, I won't even bother explaining. If you're a guy, I'm positive you've never dated a "difficult" girl like this one. Females are mean when they want to. Don't take my word for it, ask around.

Again: I'm not defending him, I'm just saying she probably pushed his buttons one way or another.

Females are mean when they want to.

And men are all nice puppies that woooon't ever do anything wrong to you gals, alrighty?

Now this thread will get interesting, keep'em coming. :applaud:
Also, I would like to say... ever heard of taking the higher ground? If a girl is being mean to you (of course they can be mean, everyone can, man or woman) you just don't do nothing, for Christ's sake, time to evaluate the relationship and that's it. There's NO excuse for his behaviour.

Clearly you've never dated a girl like that. And I'm not defending him. I said, I understand and that I know that he wasn't like that out of the blue. The guy was provoked. If you're a girl, I won't even bother explaining. If you're a guy, I'm positive you've never dated a "difficult" girl like this one. Females are mean when they want to. Don't take my word for it, ask around.

Again: I'm not defending him, I'm just saying she probably pushed his buttons one way or another.

By rationalizing his actions, you are, in fact, defending him, like it or not.

For the record, I am a man, and I have dated quite a few women. But no matter how "difficult", as you call it, they were, nothing they did or said could ever give me license to hit her or berate her like Gibson has done. NOTHING. It is indefensible, no matter what you say.

And if you feel your blood boiling because of a woman, that's when you either need to step out of the room to cool down or it's time to get out of the relationship altogether.

Still shaking my head. WOW.

By rationalizing his actions, you are, in fact, defending him, like it or not.

For the record, I am a man, and I have dated quite a few women. But no matter how "difficult", as you call it, they were, nothing they did or said could ever give me license to hit her or berate her like Gibson has done. NOTHING. It is indefensible, no matter what you say.

And if you feel your blood boiling because of a woman, that's when you either need to step out of the room to cool down or it's time to get out of the relationship altogether.

Still shaking my head. WOW.

Read my first post, kid. Hiting her and saying racist remarks were wrong and cannot be defended.

All I'm saying is, some women have the gift of bringing out a man's rage. And this girl probably betrayed him in a couple of different ways. And THEN of course recorded the phone call at the height of his anger.

That is just mean.

You know, I was thinking to myself "how the hell is that thread still going on?". I figured you guys were beating a dead horse in here.. but then I had a look. This thread just got AWESOME. I will be watching your progress with great interest

You know, I was thinking to myself "how the hell is that thread still going on?". I figured you guys were beating a dead horse in here.. but then I had a look. This thread just got AWESOME. I will be watching your progress with great interest

QFT. :lol:
(Even though I had a part in keeping it alive with the Polanski discussion, it was worth it.)

Read my first post, kid. Hiting her and saying racist remarks were wrong and cannot be defended.

All I'm saying is, some women have the gift of bringing out a man's rage. And this girl probably betrayed him in a couple of different ways. And THEN of course recorded the phone call at the height of his anger.

That is just mean.

First of all, don't call me kid.

And I read your first post, much as I would like to erase it from my memory.

From where I'm sitting, your first paragraph here contradicts the second, because you are defending his actions by placing the blame on the victim. That is inexcusable. No matter what she may have said or done to bring out his rage, nothing can excuse him for what he did. NOTHING.

Back
Top Bottom