Star Wars Episode VIII: A New Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watched the most recent one. Worst piece of shit ever. As if the last installment wasn’t already a total ripoff of its predecessors... you’d think it couldn’t get any more predictable. From departures a la Obi Wan, to the angered guy who lost all light when he lost the girl, to the Falcon going through this reddish cavernous maze with fighters hot on its tail towards the end of the movie...

Oh let’s not forget that the casting was pretty much a mixture of “let’s make sure to ring nostalgia” plus Disney showing how they acknowledged the first trilogy had more species than not-white-dudes (which is refreshing, but still, it’s overly apparent in this film and somewhat distracting). Let’s not forget about the new age bobba fett and his/her army of not-clones/enlists.

Last, I’ll take a minute to appreciate the fact that the plot of the movie undermines so much of prior Star Wars. The whole movie takes place in practically one setting and one epoch. There are threads off of it, but somehow being parked next to a conveniently placed planet that *nobody knew was there until they were desperate* next to *like the entire darth fleetious* just managed to work out. How about Brad Pitt’s stellar character development? And the legendary “master code breaker” who is all but an extra, and doesn’t even look or seem the part.

Yeah I’ll take episode 1/2/3 any day before this. If only to get to see Samuel L. Jackson with a purple light saber being a total badass.

A friend of mine once won a bet(dinner) because some guy thought Dustin Hoffman was in Star Wars.

He ended up bringing his parents with him to that dinner but insisted it wasn't a date. I only have a few friends but boy are they odd.

Solo doesn't seem to be the worst thing ever. Those giving it bad reviews think it's completely dreadful and as bad or worse than the prequels though and few critics seem to actually love it. Kind of weird that it has a higher Metascore (barely) as of now than Rogue One since Rogue ended up on a bajillion Top 10 lists for that year. Guess it was just more divisive.

Personally, I wouldn't even leave the house and drive down the street to sit through Solo, even when I had MoviePass up until recently. Presumably, it'll be released on Netflix shortly before the Disney deal goes away and I'll watch it then. If Force Awakens could bore me to near sleep, I can't imagine I'll get much out of something directed by Ron Howard.

I have zero interest in this movie. Harrison Ford was young when he played Han Solo and was likely playing a ~30 year old and this new movie would be what...5 or 10 years before that? This is a movie that very few wanted.

I have zero interest in this movie. Harrison Ford was young when he played Han Solo and was likely playing a ~30 year old and this new movie would be what...5 or 10 years before that? This is a movie that very few wanted.

Well, very few wanted a paint-by-the-numbers ho-hum movie about Solo -- which is apparently how this film turned out.

Not bad. Not good. Ok entertainment. Won't set any new records at the box office.

Disney should have made their initial investment back on their Star Wars purchase by now, which is good for them because there isn't any good reason to think these films will get any better moving forward.

Not with Jar Jar Abrams back at the helm soon.

I’m not sure what your criticism is there.

They made a movie about a “young” Han Solo but he was already young when we were first met him in A New Hope.

It’s not like what the Star Trek reboots did where we initially had a group of middle aged people for the 80s movies and the recent reboots have them all young.

Young. Younger. He wasn’t *that* young in the original. They’re portraying him during the peak of his being a bandit. What’s wrong about that?

First of all he's still young, could do all his own stunts, and should have done this movie but they didn't want to spend the money to cgi out his earring.

Secondly, this seems to be the one most people are excited about, so I'm a little :huh: about your survey of who wanted this or not.

First of all he's still young, could do all his own stunts, and should have done this movie but they didn't want to spend the money to cgi out his earring.

Secondly, this seems to be the one most people are excited about, so I'm a little :huh: about your survey of who wanted this or not.

Harrison Ford is still young? I mean 75 might be the new 65 but its not the new 35.

As for most people being excited, I just am not reading about, hearing about or seeing any buzz for this movie. I mean, the trailer views are minimal compared to the previous SW movies.

TFA has 3 trailers that all hit 80 million + views
TLJ trailer hit 50 million views
Rouge One trailer hit 45 million views
Solo Trailer is at 13 million views

The above certainly doesn’t speak to quality but it does speak to anticipation.

I'm more excited for this than I was for Rogue One. I've been a fan of Alden Ehrenreich for a while and I'm really glad he got the role. Rest of the cast looks great too.

Ron Howard isn't exactly a step down from JJ Abrams, so I'm not gonna worry much about that either.

As for the audience not wanting more of these films, if there's an Obi-Wan spinoff in the works as rumored, I think you'll see another uptick in excitement. McGregor emerged from the prequels unscathed, and since he's expressed interest in returning it won't be a paycheck role like Ford in TFA. Just give me a Kurosawa western set on Tatooine wirh Kenobi in the Toshiro Mifune role, a couple glimpses of Young Luke, Joel Edgerton returning as Owen Lars, and I'm all set. I want to see that blue lightsaber remove one more limb. Bonus points to Lucasfilm if they manage to convince Liam Neeson to do a Force Ghost or voice only appearance, since they set this up with Yoda in Revenge of the Sith.

For me, there were moments of pure joy and also moments of pure eye-rolling. I think Ehrenreich was great in the role. Easy and likable.

The Kessel Run was the highlight of the movie for me. Awesome sequence, and Chewie taking the co-pilot's chair for the first time was a thrilling fanboy moment.

But it is fucking RIDICULOUS that Darth Maul is still alive. Come on. Yeah, a friend told me that it's explained in one of the cartoons. I don't give a shit. I saw that motherfucker die. I saw it in 1999. He was cut in half and fell a million miles down a damn space shaft at the end of one of the best lightsaber fights ever. Still, as ridiculous as it is, I loved the character as a kid and it was nice hearing "Duel Of The Fates" in a theater again, even if only for a few seconds.

Also something is way off about the color palette (or whatever it's called...color tone?) in this movie. It's far far far too dark. There were times in the first half hour or so where I was dying for a little bit of brightness!

That was definitely my least favorite Star Wars movie since AOTC. I didn't hate it, but that actor was not Han Solo. Harrelson and Glover did their best, but the magic wasn't there.

The action sequences were pretty crappy too. Would it kill them to zoom out once in a while so we can actually see what's going on and not get motion sickness? The war scene near the beginning with the generic grey background felt so cheap and closed in. If you're going to shoot on such a small set, at least be more creative with your angles.

All of the Disney Star Wars movies have been derivative, but this one was the first that I felt lacked any spark. Even Rogue One, which bored me to tears, had a wicked final 20 minutes. This one? I dunno man.

Even Rogue One, which bored me to tears, had a wicked final 20 minutes. This one? I dunno man.

Heck, the last 5 min....

I could watch an entire 2 hour movie of Vader walking down a corridor messing people up. How I would love a Darth Vader story that took place between episode 3 and 4!!!!!!!

Speaking of Rogue One . . .

Did anyone else think that the ending didn't sync up with the beginning of A New Hope (ANH)?

In ANH, Leia denies having any knowledge or possession of the plans. But if I remember Rogue One correctly, they captured her ship while she was in the act of receiving the plans. So the denial sounded rather absurd.

For me, there were moments of pure joy and also moments of pure eye-rolling. I think Ehrenreich was great in the role. Easy and likable.

The Kessel Run was the highlight of the movie for me. Awesome sequence, and Chewie taking the co-pilot's chair for the first time was a thrilling fanboy moment.

But it is fucking RIDICULOUS that Darth Maul is still alive. Come on. Yeah, a friend told me that it's explained in one of the cartoons. I don't give a shit. I saw that motherfucker die. I saw it in 1999. He was cut in half and fell a million miles down a damn space shaft at the end of one of the best lightsaber fights ever. Still, as ridiculous as it is, I loved the character as a kid and it was nice hearing "Duel Of The Fates" in a theater again, even if only for a few seconds.

Also something is way off about the color palette (or whatever it's called...color tone?) in this movie. It's far far far too dark. There were times in the first half hour or so where I was dying for a little bit of brightness!

That 2nd spoiler is where it’s at.

The rest of the movie is fine if you just watch it like it’s a movie about some random dude and not Han Solo.

Speaking of Rogue One . . .

Did anyone else think that the ending didn't sync up with the beginning of A New Hope (ANH)?

In ANH, Leia denies having any knowledge or possession of the plans. But if I remember Rogue One correctly, they captured her ship while she was in the act of receiving the plans. So the denial sounded rather absurd.

Leia never had the plans until a guard/soldier managed to get it to her at the last second in Rogue One. But perhaps I’m not understanding what you’re saying.

Back
Top Bottom