Star Wars Episode VIII: A New Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too, brother.

lanadelrey-600x337.jpg

Really dug Rogue One, but I'm still pretty ho-hum on this next chapter since Episode VII was just a bore, really. It's kind of like when a band does an album that doesn't broaden their horizons but mostly plays to their strengths (Atomic Bomb, anyone?). You like it, but it's hard to love it.

Rogue One was kind of a bore, really, but I'm still pretty excited about this next chapter because even though Episode VII didn't broaden the series' horizons, it played to its strengths and I really dug the result.

New Teaser Trailer is out today.

About 1:50 run time of actual footage.

Excited for Rian Johnson at the helm. The rocks hovering reminded me of the rainmaker in Looper

Late to the party, but have some brief thoughts on Rogue One. Man... the first half of this is a real shit show. But then the second half is pretty exciting. There are a number of really stunning images that play to Edwards' strengths, and at least one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a Star Wars film.

The two CG characters we see the most of are fucking awful though, holy shit. The droid is just painful to watch (he looks good, but the voice and quips are just woof) and the other looks about as horrible as I was expecting.

Two spoiler things:
Leia actually looks pretty great I thought (if not perfect), and given recent events I felt myself getting pretty damn emotional just seeing a young Carrie Fisher again. And holy shiiiiiiiit Vader is a slasher movie villain now, that shit was dope.

I would like Teh Last Jedi to avoid the whole "dark middle chapter" trope and all, but I do hope it bring the melodrama harrrrd.

Thought the trailer was pretty rote to be honest. Granted, it's just a small slice of what's likely a 140 minute movie, but it just feels like more of the same. Yes, it's Star Wars, but at this point can anybody watch this space battle footage and actually be wowed?

You wonder if, despite his talents, that Rian Johnson will be backed into a corner thanks to J.J. Abrams going in such a formulaic route that brought nothing new to the table.

Was more excited going into the other two films to be honest.

Hard to tell from that clip if it's more fan appeasing or a new direction.

I'm sure there will be some parallels but my hope is that the story takes off

That's what everybody wants at this point. A new direction plot-wise and some key answers as to what's been going on in that damn galaxy in recent years.

Also, all of the Luke scenes looked very...um, fan filmy. He's clearly the least talented actor of the bunch (a great voice actor, mind you) and just sticks out like a sore thumb whenever he's onscreen. Him having to carry so much of this next film might be too much of an ask.

Hey so I forgot to mention. On Saturday night, I went to a colleague's house to watch Episode 3, which had been translated into Chinese, then back into English, and then dubbed. It was pretty funny. That was my first introduction to Star Wars.

It piqued my interest, so Sunday night I bought the original trilogy for 20 bucks on DVD. We watched Episode 4: A New Hope. It was good. It was quite funny, very entertaining. It did not change my life. I think 26 years of being surrounded by how great it is built it up too much. It's kind of like a less good version of Top Gun.

Looking forward to watching all the rest now.

Harrison Ford was smoking hot back in the day.

Chewbacca is really cool.

R2D2 is quite cute for a bleepy robot.

Carrie Fisher... phwoarrrr.

So yeah. In summary, enjoyed it, but not the life-changing experience I thought it would be.

Other things I learnt:

- that cantina song was an original composition for Star Wars?!?!?!
- like at least four or five quotes that I've heard/been using for using come directly from this film and I never knew

Back
Top Bottom