Star Wars Episode VIII: A New Thread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post

(This feels like a discussion of recent U2. I'd sooner have a mix of 9s and 3s on an album than all 6s.)

And with episode 9 release now delayed from May 2019 to Dec 2019, it feels even more like a discussion of recent U2.

2020 it is

Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #152
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Abrams is writing and directing Episode IX now.
Good.

Jar Jar Abrams started the train wreck, only fair he should ride it off the cliff.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Whoaaaaaaaaa!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #154
Babyface

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Bring back Ian McDiarmid - I like how he played Palpatine like an old queen in Sith and also the homoerotic overtones in the scenes with Anakin
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #155
Refugee

Thoughts on the new trailer?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Giving away too much story, and don't really like the way it's cut. You can say what you want about the prequels but jesus those trailers and teasers were considerably better.

I'm already very pumped for the film but this hasn't added to that at all.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It just looks so frickin' boring, just like Episode 7. I'm open minded enough to wait until I see it and I certainly like Rian Johnson, but, well, yawn.

I'm glad Abrams is doing Episode 9 just because I want to see how he fares directing a Star Wars film where he can't just create a bunch of stupid "mystery boxes" to keep people interested. By that point, people will have answers or be expecting them, so it will have to rely solely on his own strengths as a storyteller and he's yet to do anything new in the Star Wars universe.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
But I won't get my hopes up as Disney won't just walk away from this franchise.
It's so weird because the rest of the new canon is just kind of risky enough and exciting people whether it be comics, television episodes, etc.

But Disney clearly just wants to Marvel-ize the Star Wars films and turn it into something that nobody truly loves but is palatable for practically everybody because that's what makes them the most money.

And yeah, Rogue One actually took major storytelling risks and was the kind of story long-time fans had wanted to see on the screen for years (the sort of darker tale we saw in some comics/video games). People just look at the "elements" of that film and say it's derivative because Darth Vader and Death Star, etc. but if you're making that case then everything since A New Hope is just a pale imitation of what came before.

Meanwhile, Episode 7 was such a blatant imitation that it just went ahead and copied the plot elements just like the recent Ghostbusters remake. What was the fucking point?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #159
The Male

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
And yeah, Rogue One actually took major storytelling risks
Such as? Killing off characters nobody cared about because they didn't bother to build them up to be anything other than cannon fodder doesn't count as a storytelling risk. There's a decided lack of exposition grounding the audience, but the stakes are low for fans because the results of the mission are a given from the beginning. There's a "grey," "hopeless" tone that's somewhat risky in the sense that it's a Star Wars property, but the storytelling itself doesn't risk anything other than alienating a few people by being a bummer. The plot is extremely predictable, none of its characters make a connection with the audience and the long-term impact of the story was already established by the existence of the following films. There's a blueprint here, it's just a war film's blueprint instead of A New Hope's blueprint (though, of course, it ends with a space battle and the need to disarm a piece of tech).

For such a "risky" film, it's telling that by far the most memorable and successful part of Rogue One is when the director furiously jerks off the audience with Darth Vader's final appearance. There were countless instances of fan pandering in Rogue One, which were stranger than TFA's instances of pandering because they didn't match the overall tone of the film.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote