Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely wanted to wait until the mania died down slightly. (The theater was still packed anyway.) Plus, I usually get movie gift cards for Christmas, so I wanted to wait for those too. Crazy that it cost over 33 dollars for two tickets to the movies, but we went all out. Then, cashed in some Outback gift cards and got food drunk afterward. Good times.

Yikes. Granted, I saw the standard 2D version, but it cost me $10 to see it twice.

I've seen it 4 times. Twice in 2D and twice in 3D IMAX (new laser system) :drool:.

The 3 times I saw it in LA it cost $15 or $20 for one ticket. Saw it in my podunk hometown, $6. :doh:

Oh and I love it even more now than the first time I saw it. Seriously, it's just so much fun. The new characters are great, and Poe Dameron can get it.

I'm very excited for Star Wars land. I still don't have a Disney season pass, since I live in LA proper and normally only go once a year or so.

So, apparently Episode VIII has been delayed until December 2017.

/SoEjokes

Yeah, I just saw that too. Disney wanted to space out the releases with Rogue One coming out in December of 2016. They wanna keep milking the holiday season.

First :applaud::lol: for everyone's U2-ized SW "records"!

I might mix up who posted what- I should have screen grabbed them for reference-. On my of @nthe library so not quite as agile in typing etc as on full computer....

1) laz's article and maybe ohr poster here.... as far as visuals in ROJ

I thought the Forest Moon of Endor was amazing! To say it was just a bunch of trees...

Not everyone has been in areal serious forest... espcially since the USA has a lot of deforestation... On FMOE we probably have ? hundreds of square miles (or more) of these towering pines and other trees.

Even if it he ewoks are questionable their wonderful surrounding the massive tree trunk villages and bridges are quite a architectural sight! Loved that!

IWB - There have been plenty of incidents in RL where people thrown together in harrowing circumstances bond together very fast .

I didn't mind the echoes s of the other films at all...since we got all these new and interesting characters to transition with into the next films (8 & 9) .

No problem w "DS3" because they I guess turned a planet into a traveling weapon in excavating and creating a uber laser weapon! That's pretty amazing.

even now (2nd vowing) I knew Han's death was approaching I half winced, turned away when it happened.

Very bummed out about t hat, but I remember HF wanting his character killed off ( after seeing TFA the first time).
He really did a great job in this film!

The way I see R2 awaking is the threads of the future realign with getting the almost full map and missing "jigsaw" piece about to be/put together thus leading to finding Luke... and somehow R2 senses it. ... it may be possible that a robot can exceed their programming under certain circumstances. And hanging around a powerful force user might be part of it.
BB8 and R2 are adorable together.

LM- the visuals were gorgeous! Loved the crashed Star Destroyer on this desert planet.
The snow & forest lighsaber battle darkly poetic .

Ridley & Boyega are great together and did well with our OT characters.

Last edited:
Damn, I got a headache just reading that. Holy shit! The thing about Star Wars is that major characters die in every movie. Han Solo died not because Harrison Ford demanded it, but because it was part of the story. It could only have ended one way with his son. Han Solo was in a good portion of TFA. Next, we'll get to see good old Luke Skywalker be in a good portion of Episode 8. I wouldn't be surprised if he died, though. Setting up a final battle between Rey and Kylo Ren in Episode 9.

Damn, I got a headache just reading that. Holy shit! The thing about Star Wars is that major characters die in every movie. Han Solo died not because Harrison Ford demanded it, but because it was part of the story. It could only have ended one way with his son. Han Solo was in a good portion of TFA. Next, we'll get to see good old Luke Skywalker be in a good portion of Episode 8. I wouldn't be surprised if he died, though. Setting up a final battle between Rey and Kylo Ren in Episode 9.

No one died in The Empire Strikes Back, unless you consider Dack or various Imperial officers "major characters".

If you don't think Ford's contract stipulated a one-film appearance, you're crazy. He may have had a unexpectedly good time doing the film, but his positive attitude this past season was likely because he knew he was finally free of the shackles of having to do any more episodes.

Yes, Luke will be prominent in the next film, but Rey and Finn are still going to be the "main" protagonists. Because if you give Luke equal time and show him throughout the film, people aren't going to care as much about the newbies. So he'll likely feature in the film's first half, and Rey will go off on her own to face Ren. She'll likely get defeated in the way Luke does in Empire, and he will perhaps have to give her additional training so she can emerge the victor in the final film.

The only weird thing with this theory is that having two people duel in three consecutive films would get a little old. They probably shouldn't have had a major face-off in The Force Awakens, one of many poor decisions made in the story's second half.

After a second viewing and much time to think about it, my biggest gripe aside from the lack of originality is the decision to end on a cliffhanger. It violates the "episodic" format and was really a cheap move to fire up the audience. Hamill should have never been advertised as appearing in the first film, and it should have ended with Rey, Chewie, and R2 going off to find him. The way they shot it, she gets in the Falcon and is seemingly there instantaneously, with no sense of a journey taking place, no build-up.

What I would have preferred is for Leia (who hugs Rey like they're family) to reveal Rey's relation to Luke after they meet. So not only is Rey seeking out Luke because of some mythology she's just become connected to, but she's now going to see her long-lost father. She gets in the Falcon, takes off, and roll credits. She's given between-movie time to reflect on the revelation, as is the audience. And it's a classic SW ending. The Force Awakens with that camera swirling around bullshit is so stylistically off from everything that's come before, which is unfortunate if they're all supposed to be part of one big story.

My bad. No deaths in Empire. Just Luke losing a hand and Han getting put in suspended animation. Free of the shackles of having to do any more episodes? That is some funny fuckin' shit. They're paying the dude a fuckload of money and he got to meet up with some long lost friends again. That's why the guy was happy. Despite fracturing his ankle no less. Plus, the "shackles" will still be there because he'll be showing up in Episode 8 in flashback form.

No one died in The Empire Strikes Back, unless you consider Dack or various Imperial officers "major characters".

If you don't think Ford's contract stipulated a one-film appearance, you're crazy. He may have had a unexpectedly good time doing the film, but his positive attitude this past season was likely because he knew he was finally free of the shackles of having to do any more episodes.

Yes, Luke will be prominent in the next film, but Rey and Finn are still going to be the "main" protagonists. Because if you give Luke equal time and show him throughout the film, people aren't going to care as much about the newbies. So he'll likely feature in the film's first half, and Rey will go off on her own to face Ren. She'll likely get defeated in the way Luke does in Empire, and he will perhaps have to give her additional training so she can emerge the victor in the final film.

The only weird thing with this theory is that having two people duel in three consecutive films would get a little old. They probably shouldn't have had a major face-off in The Force Awakens, one of many poor decisions made in the story's second half.

After a second viewing and much time to think about it, my biggest gripe aside from the lack of originality is the decision to end on a cliffhanger. It violates the "episodic" format and was really a cheap move to fire up the audience. Hamill should have never been advertised as appearing in the first film, and it should have ended with Rey, Chewie, and R2 going off to find him. The way they shot it, she gets in the Falcon and is seemingly there instantaneously, with no sense of a journey taking place, no build-up.

What I would have preferred is for Leia (who hugs Rey like they're family) to reveal Rey's relation to Luke after they meet. So not only is Rey seeking out Luke because of some mythology she's just become connected to, but she's now going to see her long-lost father. She gets in the Falcon, takes off, and roll credits. She's given between-movie time to reflect on the revelation, as is the audience. And it's a classic SW ending. The Force Awakens with that camera swirling around bullshit is so stylistically off from everything that's come before, which is unfortunate if they're all supposed to be part of one big story.

Definitely not 100% sold that she's Luke's daughter. I think the Kenobi theory holds a lot of weight, especially when we hear both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor's voices prominently in the lightsaber freakout flash forward/back sequence.

The sequence ends with McGregor's voice very clearly saying "These are your first steps."

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Interference, what do you think of the theory that Snoke is Darth Plagueis? I really want it to be true but I don't think it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Interference, what do you think of the theory that Snoke is Darth Plagueis? I really want it to be true but I don't think it will be.

I think that'd be a fantastic way to tie all 3 trilogies together into one cohesive narrative. That is a very interesting theory, I would like for it to be true. But I don't think they put that much thought into it when they made the movies.

But Snoke surely has to be SOMEBODY! If Snoke was Darth Plagues, then maybe he created Anakin Skywalker, thus making Kylo Ren his great grandson! WHOA!! They could do a whole thing where Snoke created the Skywalker bloodline for a specific reason that we don't entirely know yet.

Ugh... I can't believe I now have to wait until Dec 2017 now!!

If Snoke was Darth Plagues, then maybe he created Anakin Skywalker, thus making Kylo Ren his great grandson! WHOA!! They could do a whole thing where Snoke created the Skywalker bloodline for a specific reason that we don't entirely know yet.

This is basically what I'm hoping for, especially as someone who rather likes the prequels and would like to see some ties back to them. I'd like the sequels to feel like a unifying capstone of the whole saga.

But this theory also requires not retconing midi-cholorians, which may cause some distress.

I like the prequels as well.

But the average mainstream fan doesn't know who Darth Plagueis is, or give a fuck about him even if they did.

So it would be a pretty lame reveal that wouldn't have much impact on the audience.

And I hope Rian Johnson is smarter than that.

I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm thinking about settling in and watching the Clone Wars animated TV series. Is it good? Should I watch the movie first? Looks like the show is more highly regarded than the movie.

The movie was terrible.

Also, there are two Clone Wars series. The first started in 2003 and was produced by Genndy Tartakovsky, who was a major contributor to Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, and Samurai Jack. It's more of a hand-drawn look with a classic cartoon feel. Loved this show. It lasted 3 seasons. The first two seasons were made up of short, 3-minute episodes, and the final season were a series of five 12-minute episodes, the final one featuring the kidnapping of Chancellor Palpatine and leading right up to the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars_(2003_TV_series)

The second one is CGI and started in 2008, following the movie you mentioned that was made by the same team. It has less of a personality to it, IMO. Some interesting storylines but I had trouble getting into the whole thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_(2008_TV_series)

So anyway, if you look for "Season 1" you'll probably get the second series. The Tartakovsky stuff was sold on DVD as Volume 1 (first two seasons) and Volume 2 (third season). The whole series basically takes up about 2 hours of screen time. These are all on YouTube, 25 eps in total.

the more recent version of Clone Wars was expanded so much to just pack interesting plots into it. I mean, why reviving Darth Maul? makes no sense.

Ok thanks Laz. It's the second one I'm going to check out. The entire series is on Netflix. So fuck it. I'm gonna give it a shot.

YOU'RE ALL CLEAR, KID!

Watched the first two episodes. Just ok. Getting to see Plo Koon in action was cool. And a couple of the voice actors are spot on. But the Droid Army is annoying and unfunny. Is Anakin gonna step out on Padme with this hippie lookin long hair apprentice chick?

I started watching Star Wars Rebels with my younger daughter, as she's turned into a total Star Wars fanatic now. And I gotta admit, it's pretty good, even if Freddie Prinze Jr. is in it.

So due to unforeseen events I was unable to see this until a week ago or so. I managed somehow to remain relatively "spoiler-free" and I'm glad I did.

Ok so on one hand it was extremely derivative with almost too much blatant nostalgia and there were several plot holes and questionable story elements buuuuuuut... I pretty much loved it despite all that. I had a grin on my face through the whole ride and despite some relatively minor complaints was able to suspend my disbelief.

I think the greatest compliment I can give it was that it awakened (no pun intended) my love for Star Wars again. The prequels really sucked out a lot of the joy and love I had for the franchise - more than I even realized until I saw this and for that alone it was worth it. I eagerly await the next movie now, I hope they don't disappoint.

Finally saw this. How the fuck did this poorly imagined remake of A New Hope garner such critical acclaim!? It's one thing to enjoy it based on your sense of nostalgia, but for fuck's sake this was like a fanboy's wet-dream of a Star Wars movie. And yeah nothing is completely original in the literal sense, but A New Hope was more of a pastiche of other genres, whereas this simply retreads the same ground without any semblance of originality. Maybe I've just never been a crazed SW fan, so I wasn't drooling over all the fan service dished out by Disney and Abrahams.

Interesting tangential aside: I watched the previous 6 movies (plus Tartakovsky's Clone Wars) in preparation for this one, and I have to say there's some real substance to be found there in those shambolic prequels. So much so that Attack of the Clones through Revenge of the Sith (with the excellent Clone Wars sandwiched in between) was the most satisfying sequence of my marathon viewing. The prequels have some shockingly abysmal lows, but also manage to hit some really high notes (especially the latter two; and even The Phantom Menace has a couple of high points). The Force Awakens has neither those peaks nor troughs, and is the worse off for it by playing it much too safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom