Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Leia hasn't been trained doesn't mean the midichlorians wouldn't be passed on. And no reason to believe her count wouldn't be as high as Luke's. They're twins, after all.

Yeah, but Leia's always been portrayed as only in tune with the force, and not strongly force sensitive. At least to my knowledge. Even in the AU, I remember her training as basic, at best. Though I haven't read a TON of the books.

Just because Leia hasn't been trained doesn't mean the midichlorians wouldn't be passed on. And no reason to believe her count wouldn't be as high as Luke's. They're twins, after all.

Point taken. I guess the question then is, who is Luke's baby mama? Obviously we wouldn't know that, assuming Rey is his daughter at all (with her force sensitivity, I consider it something of a given). I'm guessing that Han's complete insensitivity to the force would split the count significantly in a way it didn't for Rey. In any case, it's fairly evident from the start that Rey is portrayed as uniquely force sensitive, Kylo seems terrified of her powers the moment they simultaneously discover she has them.

The force strong with this one tho, over 9000 midichlorians say so

JJ should have done us a solid and completely thrown that part of the mythology in the garbage. Turns the Force into an episode of DBZ. It's pretty clear that he didn't though.

Last edited:
Point taken. I guess the question then is, who is Luke's baby mama? Obviously we wouldn't know that, assuming Rey is his daughter at all (with her force sensitivity, I consider it something of a given). I'm guessing that Han's complete insensitivity to the force would split the count significantly in a way it didn't for Rey. In any case, it's fairly evident from the start that Rey is portrayed as uniquely force sensitive, Kylo seems terrified of her powers the moment they simultaneously discover she has them.

JJ should have done us a solid and completely thrown that part of the mythology in the garbage. Turns the Force into an episode of DBZ. It's pretty clear that he didn't though.

I don't recall them mentioning midichlorians once, actually.

I don't recall them mentioning midichlorians once, actually.

They didn't. That said, an inherent hereditary link to the Force is the only way to explain how Rey can do what she does. It's a very different envisioning of the Force than IV and V and more in line with the prequels.

I don't mind the hereditary aspect, but the scientific breakdown of it was probably unnecessary. Qui-Gon should have made his survey of Anakin based on his actions and abilities.

Midichlorians and force sensitivity have never really been passed off as hereditary, necessarily, though. The Skywalkers seem to be an exception.

I still wonder why the microbe living in the blood is heritable? come on man, hire a biologist. (sure recent study suggests that microbe will mostly be shared but that's still bullshit as that's no strict form of heredity)

I think we're getting a little dismissive of the explanation of the force, at this point. It's not like he called it a germ.

Haha I was definitely quoting a Flying Lotus lyric.

Gotta say though, I'm realising all my chest-thumping, badge-of-honour never seen Star Wars stuff all these years has been pretty shit and lame. I get quite bad fomo and this Force Awakens film seems to be a really cool shared cultural experience and I'm actually a bit bummed to not be into it at the moment. I mean, even I got a pang of emotion watching "Chewie, we're home" from the trailer. My girlfriend likes (although isn't obsessive about) Star Wars so I think I'm gonna try and watch 4, 5 and 6 soon so I can try to catch the new one while it's still in the movies.

The more casual a fan you are, the better off you'll be watching TFA. A newcomer would be lost, but I doubt that would be a deal breaker for such a fundamentally entertaining action/adventure film. Very little effort is expended on exposition anyway; you're pretty much strapped in and taken along for the ride and that's the case for everyone.

The more casual a fan you are, the better off you'll be watching TFA. A newcomer would be lost, but I doubt that would be a deal breaker for such a fundamentally entertaining action/adventure film. Very little effort is expended on exposition anyway; you're pretty much strapped in and taken along for the ride and that's the case for everyone.

Did you just instruct Cobbler to Cobbler Star Wars?

Did you just instruct Cobbler to Cobbler Star Wars?

No, I absolutely think he should watch the original trilogy before the new one. Absolutely. There's all kinds of fan service happening here that will be better appreciated by a cursory knowledge of the series.

But you're probably better off leaving some of it at the door. I definitely wouldn't watch TFA and New Hope back to back if at all possible. The parallels (call it lazy writing, the inherent circularity/balance of the Star Wars universe, whatever) are impossible to miss.

I didn't take that from his post anyway. It was clear he meant "after seeing the original three" or "if you unfortunately caught the new one without having seen any others".

I mean, the trailer alone was evidence enough that you need to have seen the originals.

Can't wait for Cobs to proclaim TFA as the best of the series.

I get Laz' complaints, but I'll take a well executed retread over an original mess any day. After all, Terminator 2 > Terminator 3. You can't polish a turd, but you can sure reheat pizza, etc.

It's a new Star Wars, and it's a fun movie. It can't hold a candle to the OT, especially the first two, but it will have a longer life than the prequels. And in a year of cynical rehashes (Jurassic World, Terminator Gynysysyyy) it stands tall. Episode 8 will ultimately determine how this one is viewed in the long run, either a successful back to basics restart or a case of dwindling cash grabs.

I've been looking at a Star Wars message board in the lead-up to this and I'm laughing at how much those places are exactly like this one and every other music forum I've ever visited. Their discussions basically mirror everything we talk about, which makes sense I suppose. It's just about a sci-fi franchise instead of a band's music.

Case in point with this excerpt.

Lucas said this is the movie the fans wanted. He knew that from the get go but unlike JJ, KK and Disney he had the guts to not just 'play the hits.'

Just... oh my god. :lol:

?

Death Star #3. Sand planet. Snow planet. Forest planet. Stolen plans in droid. Captured girl. Rebel meeting with pilots. Attack on powerful but vulnerable battle station. Mentor dies and passes torch to newcomer.

You left out cantina scene with various and sundry aliens.

Just got back from seeing it. Funny how seeing it on the day after its official release date feels like I'm late to the party.

I enjoyed it. Certainly can't argue with Laz' criticisms of the storyline, but not overly put off by it. Just went for the ride, enjoyed the new characters as well as the old and have hope that the next one gives us everything we all want.

And even I was mildly annoyed when
R2-D2 flipped himself back on because the plot called for it.

My thinking on this is
that R2 flipping on has to do with Rey's arrival at the base, the force in (presumably) Luke's daughter is enough to turn him on as Luke's presence would
and if that's the case I'm OK with it.

But clearly not identical twins so no reason to assume Leia's count is as high as Luke's.

That's a fair point, but it wasn't communicated well, if so. Maybe these missing pieces all fall together in the end, who knows.

But clearly not identical twins so no reason to assume Leia's count is as high as Luke's.
Leia is just very clearly not as strong in the force as Luke. She's only ever been displayed as being able to feel and sense things in those she cares about. She was able to find Luke at the end of Empire, she could sense he was OK at the end of RotJ and she could sense

Han's death
in TFA. She is in touch with the force. She is not in tune with it, though.

IMO: In general, the Force isn't hereditary. But in Anakin's family line it is, since his damn father is the force. My assumption is that in Leia it's recessive. She very clearly passed it on to her son.

Just saw this one.

It does nod heavily to first two movies with the yet another villain - hero confrontation on the bridge, yet another hero pilot destroying Death Star and the main villain being a heavy Darth Vader clone, another apprentice gone wrong. I guess that BB droid wishes he was as cool as R2-D2. That said, after the prequels were BAD with the exception of Sith, this is much better. Not because of the new characters, which are only slightly above wooden acting of Anakin/Padme in the prequels. Rather, it's the old crew that carries the movie. Han Solo and Leia still have that chemistry on screen, and it shows. Hopefully Luke's still got it too. The death of you-know-who was a shock even though I'd heard of it because I believed Kylo Ren would switch to the good side.

Now the weak points :

- really ? a well trained person in ways of the force gets defeated by a chick that only began to discover her powers ? LULZ. That's not even mentioning total lack of exactly how she's so in tune with the Force. Hopefully not a variation of Vader/Luke story with Luke being her father. And *if he is, they might have some explaining to do why he abandoned her like that.

- wait what ? Han and Leia had a son since when nevermind...let me guess. Will a daugher also pop up? Rey ?

- how will 2 remaining Jedis - Luke and presumably Rey once she completes training, fight off the dark forces ?

- whatever you do in a movie as a writer/director...do not kill the best thing about the movie. Seriously, Han rocked the movie and they just tossed him away after just one movie.

Last edited:
No need for spoiler tags after opening weekend, don't come into the thread if you don't want to be spoiled.

We don't use spoiler tags for pay cable shows immediately after their US airing, no need to here.

People also seem to be forgetting that Chewie shot Kylo Ren in the abdomen right before the fight in the snow, and he took a few heavy blows from Finn immediately beforehand. That's going to slow anyone down.

I use spoiler tags for at least a couple weeks. It's not exactly hard not to. There's always the problem of this stuff popping up in the time line as well. That's no one's fault on mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom