Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station

Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Why, The Force of course. This is science fiction after all.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:41 AM
For those who don't know what I was referring to:

'Looper' director Rian Johnson is making 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' | The Verge

Old 06-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Was going to see more stylistic continuity but oh well.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor

^
Yeah, this sucks just a bit.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Contrary to reports that he will be directing the next two Star Wars film, Johnson will only direct Episode VIII, but he is writing a treatment for Episode IX.
From THR.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #96
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Joseph Gordon-Levitt in old man makeup set to replace elderly but still very powerful Harrison Ford

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Old 06-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's crazy that the official canon now only consists of a single short story and a four part comic book series beyond the filmed works.

Timeline of Canon Media

I guess we didn't lose much in retrospect. A lot of that material was downright terrible and even the well written stuff (Zahn, Hambly, X-wing series) ignored George's vision involving key story elements such as the Empire being dealt with at the end of Return of the Jedi, etc. Then there's the pseudo-canonical stuff like The Force Unleashed and Shadows of the Empire that completely altered the way the storylines in the films played out.

It's still weird though that the films and television show borrowed so many EU elements, yet none of that material is now considered legitimate. So, are the Darth Bane novels really not canon even though Lucas created the character and its back story for The Phantom Menace and then utilized it again on the television show? James Luceno's upcoming book about Tarkin will be considered legitimate canon, but his book about Palpatine's early history won't be (despite using Lucas's own backstory and the same writing style as his Tarkin book)?

There's a lot of weird picking and choosing going on here (well, really it's just them having set an arbitrary cutoff for anything that comes out now being canon), but if we get a universe with works that are much stronger on the whole and don't discredit one another, it's certainly for the best that they've restarted everything. Still no legitimate reason why the pre-TPM stuff couldn't make the transition, but I digress.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor

They uncanonized Shadows of the Empire?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
They uncanonized Shadows of the Empire?
Anything that's not the films or Clone Wars television show is no longer canon. Everything starting to come out now is part of the new canon and they have a special group dedicated to making it all fit together. The new comics/books though take the same third tier step as the old comics and books (which were ranked below the films, first, and the television show secondly).

The old comics/books no longer hold that position and are pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The post Return of the Jedi stuff won't even be able to fit in with the new books/films, so it's basically an alternate universe at this point. Personally, I think they should let all of that material go out of print altogether in order to avoid confusion. Only the biggest diehards were going to be interested in a lot of it and now they have no reason to given that it's no longer part of the timeline (not to mention that most of them were probably buying used copies or checking out the books from their library or simply illegally downloading the old books/comics/games). The revenue stream from that sort of stuff is so minimal that they might as well let it all evaporate at this point.

On the plus side, I've seen the first season of Clone Wars (and a few more of Season 2) way back when, so if watching a cool show and reading this small amount of new material lets me get caught up with the saga again, I'm rather excited. As I said in my other post, there's literally one short story and a Darth Maul comic book series (that ties into the Clone Wars show and is the final release from Dark Horse Comics). That's a hell of a lot less demanding then the massive canon that had existed up until recently with most of that material being downright awful.

Of course, I have my own canon in general and will only watch the Phantom Editor's versions of the first two films as they're a lot shorter and about a point or two better in overall quality. If you ever get a chance, they're well worth checking out, especially because the guy gives commentary on the two films as well and exposes a lot about how editing works and how those films could have been improved quite a bit just with some minor edits. Funny how the prequels fare better when tinkered with and the OT...? Not so much.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

How do you just take something that is canon though, and just said nope no more. Shadows of the Empire has always been cannon. Its not like the extended universe books. It scan it always was.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Of course, I have my own canon in general and will only watch the Phantom Editor's versions of the first two films as they're a lot shorter and about a point or two better in overall quality. If you ever get a chance, they're well worth checking out, especially because the guy gives commentary on the two films as well and exposes a lot about how editing works and how those films could have been improved quite a bit just with some minor edits. Funny how the prequels fare better when tinkered with and the OT...? Not so much.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #104
Buk
The Fly

Local Time: 09:41 AM
How about this, the 6 released Star Wars movies, Splinters In The Mind's Eye, Han Solo at Star's End, Han Solo's Revenge, and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy is what is Canon!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
How do you just take something that is canon though, and just said nope no more. Shadows of the Empire has always been cannon. Its not like the extended universe books. It scan it always was.
It was second tier canon behind the movies and bumped to third tier with the introduction of the television show...so there was always room for it to get bumped out. Obviously, there's a ton of elements from both that and other EU projects that are in the prequels and re-releases of these films, so it is rather dubious that they're saying none of this stuff is something that happened in this universe when a lot of it has already filtered into the highest level projects.