Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station

Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #841
A childless dog

Local Time: 02:29 PM
I hope I never see any performances awful enough to make Hayden Christensen's Anakin look good.

The casting, direction and writing was problematic, but I see zero evidence of him elevating the material.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #842
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Yes, but I don't think the material could be elevated. Ewan and Natalie were just as wooden.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 AM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Namkcur, I am absolutely astounded that you only just now saw Force Awakens. Didn't you have Yoda as your avatar for a while? Haven't you posted extensively in the Star Wars threads over the years? How could a Star Wars fan have taken that long to see the new Star Wars movie. That's fucking staggering to me. I'm sorry.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #844
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 PM
And this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
As someone who watches a lot of films and has seen more than practically anybody that uses this forum
...is a total eye-roller. What an obnoxious way to begin a post.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 AM   #845
A childless dog

Quote:
Yes, but I don't think the material could be elevated. Ewan and Natalie were just as wooden.
I thought Ewan was OK. Neeson was doing fine. Jackson had his moments.

Lucas really didn't know how to direct less experienced actors, that was the big problem.

Now.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:39 AM   #846
Blue Crack Supplier

Ewan got better and better with each film. He had some great one-liners in AOTC, and really seemed to push himself on Sith, having fun in the action scenes but also giving more dramatic heft, culminating in a very emotional confrontation with Anakin. Not sure how you can call him wooden and then, what, give Mark Hamill a pass? No way was he better at the end of ROTJ.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:01 AM   #847
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Namkcur, I am absolutely astounded that you only just now saw Force Awakens. Didn't you have Yoda as your avatar for a while? Haven't you posted extensively in the Star Wars threads over the years? How could a Star Wars fan have taken that long to see the new Star Wars movie. That's fucking staggering to me. I'm sorry.
Yeah, ok, I know it looks weird, because I am a huge Star Wars fan. I think it's two things.

1. I had every intention of seeing it in the theater, but it didn't happen. I was initially waiting for the early crowds to thin, and then I got pre-occupied with other things. Then I was going to get the blu-ray as soon as it came out, but upon finding out that there was going to be a 3D blu-ray later on, I decided I wanted that one, especially since I didn't get to see it 3D in the theater. I'm a sucker for 3D. So I was waiting for that to come out(in November), but I cracked and torrented it earlier this week. I'm still going to get it as soon as it's released, but I couldn't wait to see the film anymore.

2. I suspect that I was subconsciously putting it off because I was afraid of disappointment. It got great reviews, but people here were somewhat critical of the fan service and re-hashed plot points and whatnot. Luckily, I wasn't disappointed.

I know all of that sounds very lame, but it's the truth. It won't happen again. I'll see Rogue One in the theater.

Also - I had totally forgotten about that Yoda avatar.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #848
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
And this...

...is a total eye-roller. What an obnoxious way to begin a post.

I'm just stating where I come from...watching some decent Star Wars film does little for somebody like me that watches hundreds of much better reviewed films from cinematic history every year. I'm sorry but it's almost certain that anybody going to bat for that mediocre Godzilla remake probably isn't watching a substantial amount of films and/or great ones. Just trying to give this all some context...

And on the subject of being a fan, I too waited to see The Force Awakens since I don't have a theater closer than ten minutes driving away, my girlfriend had already seen it on opening day for a work party and I had no real interest in paying and squeezing into a massive crowd to watch what was said to be an overly reverential work. On the flipside, I find it strange that some people post often in this thread and never really mention engaging with the rest of the canon. I can't for the life of me wonder why somebody would be obsessed with talking about specifically a set of seven films, at least half of which aren't even great. It's like using this forum and pretending that U2 only releases albums and doesn't tour.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #849
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm just stating where I come from...watching some decent Star Wars film does little for somebody like me that watches hundreds of much better reviewed films from cinematic history every year. I'm sorry but it's almost certain that anybody going to bat for that mediocre Godzilla remake probably isn't watching a substantial amount of films and/or great ones. Just trying to give this all some context...

From what I know of Lance (which is strictly through this forum of course and the little bit of pillow talk from his Mom), he is a very prolific film viewer. Your post as GAF points out comes across extremely condescending.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #850
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And how many films from, say, Ingmar Bergman has he watched out of curiosity? Because if he's even seen five I doubt he'd ever press "play" on 2014's Godzilla.

And for the record, over a third of users on Rotten Tomatoes didn't even like the Godzilla remake and they're the people this stuff was marketed to in the first place. So to act like a guy who made a blockbuster movie the public didn't care for will surely give us gold with this re-shoot plagued and rushed Star Wars spinoff...
Old 08-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #851
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
And how many films from, say, Ingmar Bergman has he watched out of curiosity? Because if he's even seen five I doubt he'd ever press "play" on 2014's Godzilla.

And for the record, over a third of users on Rotten Tomatoes didn't even like the Godzilla remake and they're the people this stuff was marketed to in the first place. So to act like a guy who made a blockbuster movie the public didn't care for will surely give us gold with this re-shoot plagued and rushed Star Wars spinoff...

Wait ... you mean people can't like arty films AND popcorn movies? Fuck.

it's probably a safe bet Lance has seen everything Bergman ever did.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #852
A childless dog

Looks like I'm up to five Bergman films. My list of anticipated 2016 films just got a whole lot shorter.

Should have thought twice before watching Cries and Whispers.

Now.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #853
Refugee

Local Time: 10:29 PM
I'm confused. Has bmp not seen five Bergman films and was therefore uneducated enough to watch Godzilla 2014, or is he just talking out of his ass?

Or what, a subsequent viewing of Through a Glass Darkly gave him enough exp to retroactively realize how 'mediocre' Godzilla was?

Or, given that he has obviously seen every great cinematic achievement the world has to offer, he had nothing else to do on a rainy Tuesday evening BUT watch Godzilla on Netflix?

I dunno. But his obnoxious schtick seems to be unable to allow him to discuss the film any more than pointing to some percentage scores online. For someone who claims to watch as many films as he does, he seems like an awfully passive viewer when it comes to critical examination.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #854
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Even more condescending, as Bergman is like entry-level film school student material, what people watch when they first discover art films. Lance is very well-versed in international cinema, and has watched some pretty obscure stuff. That doesn't stop him from praising more mainstream directors, nor should it. I say this as someone who owns a region-free player, attends festivals with international selections, and has diverse viewing habits myself. You've chosen the wrong target.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #855
A childless dog

I find Lance's taste in mainstream films to be.......unique, but I would never question his dedication to the medium.

Now.