Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #691
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Makes it the 6th best ever...behind three MCU movies .
Ugh cinema

Old 03-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #692
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
What this scene illustrates is that Lucas wasn't up to the task of directing the prequels himself. He really fucked up in leading the less experienced actors, whereas McGregor, Neeson, Jackson, etc. were confident enough to make the material work. Abrams did a great job with the newcomers in TFA.
Well, I wouldn't trade better line readings (or newcomer casting) for someone else's visuals and sense of space during action scenes. While Abrams had some decent shots in TFA, he's nowhere near Lucas's level when it comes to frame compositions.

If we're weighing what's more important in terms of cinema, it should be no contest. And Lucas has maintained these are primarily image-driven.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #693
A childless dog

Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

Then he should have delegated some of the responsibility, as he did with Empire. The idea of one man writing and directing the prequels to three of the most beloved films of all time, with minimal directorial experience and no practice in that capacity for 22 years is foolhardy. There were bound to be issues.

I have mixed feelings about the current trilogy being passed around among writers and directors though. As with everything else about the current trilogy, it seems like they went in the complete opposite direction of the prequels and made it incredibly democratic. So far I've enjoyed the results, but the decision affects the narrative on a macro-level that we won't be able to analyze until it's complete.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #694
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I can forgive TFA for the blatant nostalgia and lack of originality simply because its the most fun I have had watching a Star Wars movie in decades. For me the next movie is the big test, they have me hooked again, I really hope that they try to go in a new direction otherwise I'm out.
I think the next Star Wars film is gonna be even better. Especially with Luke back in the mix and the story of his self imposed exile waiting to be told.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #695
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about the current trilogy being passed around among writers and directors though. As with everything else about the current trilogy, it seems like they went in the complete opposite direction of the prequels and made it incredibly democratic. So far I've enjoyed the results, but the decision affects the narrative on a macro-level that we won't be able to analyze until it's complete.
I agree for the most part. I thought I heard too that Abrams was actually offered Episode VIII as well, but turned it down due to the sheer time put into one movie. I also thought that Disney tried to assign directors to these movies ahead of time just to get a head start on pre-production (i.e., much sooner releases).

The different hands in it all sort of goes back to how the original trilogy was made as well, so maybe they just preferred that over a singular vision too. Like you said, should be interesting to examine once all the movies are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
but does he have the high ground?
Yep, I laughed.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #696
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:12 PM
I believe Episode VIII will be a step up. Freed of a lot of the burdens of TFA with Rian Johnson at the helm I expect good things.

I'm more excited about Rogue One though. speaking of filmmakers with superb command of space and composition, Gareth Edwards is the man.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #697
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm ironically looking forward for the sequel to Star Wars Head Space that's gonna surely come out alongside with Ep. VIII.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #698
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Then he should have delegated some of the responsibility, as he did with Empire. The idea of one man writing and directing the prequels to three of the most beloved films of all time, with minimal directorial experience and no practice in that capacity for 22 years is foolhardy. There were bound to be issues.
You can make a fair point about Lucas being rusty after such a long period of inaction (though he certainly had a fair amount of creative control on the Young Indiana Jones chronicles as well as Willow), but I think "minimal directorial experience" is rather ridiculous. The guy made three acclaimed films in a row (the latter two receiving Best Picture and Best Director nominations), all very different aesthetically. Terrence Malick had less under his belt (and an equally long absence from the director's chair) before he made The Thin Red Line, was he unqualified to make that film?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #699
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
I recently rewatched the prequels, and there's a lot of good in there. It's just that bad is so very, very bad it almost overwhelms the good. Oh and I'm still mad at how Lucas wrote Padme in ROTS.
I'm curious what you don't like about her in ROTS; she's given arguably the best line of the trilogy ("So this is how liberty dies..."), and she's shown as instrumental in the origins of the rebellion. It's unfortunate that a fairly substantial scene from that plotline didn't make the final cut (it features a young Mon Mothma and Bail Organa IIRC) but you can at least watch it on the DVD/Blu release.

She also has a great scene with Obi-Wan where she wrestles with whether or not to give up Anakin's whereabouts and the revelation about the dead padawans.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #700
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
You can make a fair point about Lucas being rusty after such a long period of inaction (though he certainly had a fair amount of creative control on the Young Indiana Jones chronicles as well as Willow), but I think "minimal directorial experience" is rather ridiculous. The guy made three acclaimed films in a row (the latter two receiving Best Picture and Best Director nominations), all very different aesthetically. Terrence Malick had less under his belt (and an equally long absence from the director's chair) before he made The Thin Red Line, was he unqualified to make that film?
Entirely fair, though I would argue the responsibility of manning a prequel trilogy with decades of fan expectations loaded into it isn't quite comparable to directing a standalone epic like Malick.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:26 AM   #701
Blue Crack Addict

I like the Rey character.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #702
Blue Crack Supplier

me too, I am interested to see what her backstory is all about...

I like Kylo Ren as well, we've never really seen a "Sith" during their development, we got Anakin just turning into a Sith and then his decline and death but nothing in his prime really...

I think the character I have the hardest part getting on board with is Finn. I love the comic moments but he's a little too one dimensional so far and his motivation is a little vague. I mean, he doesn't want to kill innocent people, I get that but he has no problem killing his former comrades even though, of all people, shouldn't he at least pause and consider they come from the same circumstances? That doesn't entirely ring true for me.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #703
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I think the character I have the hardest part getting on board with is Finn. I love the comic moments but he's a little too one dimensional so far and his motivation is a little vague. I mean, he doesn't want to kill innocent people, I get that but he has no problem killing his former comrades even though, of all people, shouldn't he at least pause and consider they come from the same circumstances? That doesn't entirely ring true for me.

Great observation, and that's some very weak writing that has largely gone uncriticized.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #704
New Yorker

Maybe it’s a bit different when they’re actively trying to kill you, as opposed to the innocent people thing? Assuming the later isn't trying to kill him either, of course...
Old 03-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #705
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm curious what you don't like about her in ROTS; she's given arguably the best line of the trilogy ("So this is how liberty dies..."), and she's shown as instrumental in the origins of the rebellion. It's unfortunate that a fairly substantial scene from that plotline didn't make the final cut (it features a young Mon Mothma and Bail Organa IIRC) but you can at least watch it on the DVD/Blu release.

She also has a great scene with Obi-Wan where she wrestles with whether or not to give up Anakin's whereabouts and the revelation about the dead padawans.
I think editing out her scenes with Organa was a huge mistake. However the biggest crime was having her die of a "broken heart" at the end. I think it cheapened her character.