Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station

Old 03-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #661
A childless dog

Local Time: 08:26 AM
I mean, sure, TFA is unoriginal, but I can't compare such a lovingly and skillfully crafted adventure to the prequels. In terms of characterization, dialogue, VFX, cinematography, acting, editing, pacing, basically every possible facet that I can think of, TFA is preferable to at least Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Personally, I like it more than Sith as well, which is very good but has just enough Hayden Christensen to drop it down.

IMO, TFA will be celebrated down the road not for its fan service but its superior script and great newcomers. The casting is leagues ahead of the prequels so far and I hope the next film allows them to put a unique stamp on the series.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #662
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have to disagree with the highs balancing out the lows in Attack of the Clones. The "romantic" lake scene is so bad that I cry tears of blood. That one scene literally makes me think twice about ever wanting to watch the movie again.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #663
The Fly

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune
Finally saw this. How the fuck did this poorly imagined remake of A New Hope garner such critical acclaim!?
Because most ppl have been so dumbed down and brainwashed to think CRAP is good these days....

I know,this movie was disgusting..... TOTAL DIGITAL TRASH!! (I wont ever see it and I know this)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #664
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
TOTAL DIGITAL TRASH!! (I wont ever see it and I know this)
So you formed your opinion without seeing the movie.

Makes sense.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #665
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I know,this movie was disgusting..... TOTAL DIGITAL TRASH!! (I wont ever see it and I know this)
Old 03-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #666
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I have to disagree with the highs balancing out the lows in Attack of the Clones. The "romantic" lake scene is so bad that I cry tears of blood. That one scene literally makes me think twice about ever wanting to watch the movie again.

"I don't like Sand. It's coarse and rough...and it gets everywhere...."

Anakin-Padme was nothing more than a really bad soap opera. Attack of The Clones is mostly unwatchable.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #667
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
Finally saw this. How the fuck did this poorly imagined remake of A New Hope garner such critical acclaim!? It's one thing to enjoy it based on your sense of nostalgia, but for fuck's sake this was like a fanboy's wet-dream of a Star Wars movie. And yeah nothing is completely original in the literal sense, but A New Hope was more of a pastiche of other genres, whereas this simply retreads the same ground without any semblance of originality. Maybe I've just never been a crazed SW fan, so I wasn't drooling over all the fan service dished out by Disney and Abrahams.

Interesting tangential aside: I watched the previous 6 movies (plus Tartakovsky's Clone Wars) in preparation for this one, and I have to say there's some real substance to be found there in those shambolic prequels. So much so that Attack of the Clones through Revenge of the Sith (with the excellent Clone Wars sandwiched in between) was the most satisfying sequence of my marathon viewing. The prequels have some shockingly abysmal lows, but also manage to hit some really high notes (especially the latter two; and even The Phantom Menace has a couple of high points). The Force Awakens has neither those peaks nor troughs, and is the worse off for it by playing it much too safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I mean, sure, TFA is unoriginal, but I can't compare such a lovingly and skillfully crafted adventure to the prequels. In terms of characterization, dialogue, VFX, cinematography, acting, editing, pacing, basically every possible facet that I can think of, TFA is preferable to at least Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Personally, I like it more than Sith as well, which is very good but has just enough Hayden Christensen to drop it down.

IMO, TFA will be celebrated down the road not for its fan service but its superior script and great newcomers. The casting is leagues ahead of the prequels so far and I hope the next film allows them to put a unique stamp on the series.
"Superior script"? If you think dialogue is all there is to writing, maybe. There's very little originality in TFA's script, with way too much borrowing from previous episodes, and idiotic choices like feeling the need to one-up A New Hope by blowing up 5 planets at once.

Outside a few legitimately funny lines and some of the character work, it's operating at a fairly basic levels. And even with the characters you have problems like Rey having a pretty easy path to victory in just the first film.

By contrast, Lucas was going for something considerably more intricate in terms of plotting, as well as the deeper subtext about governments and their relations to their constituents.

The editing and cinematography aren't better, either. Just because something was shot on film and has a few nice shots isn't a reason to make such a sweeping judgement. And same goes for the OMG REAL VFX. The prequels used a countless number of models and miniatures, and the effects on all of those films were groundbreaking; here they're no better than in any other contemporary franchise picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
"I don't like Sand. It's coarse and rough...and it gets everywhere...."

Anakin-Padme was nothing more than a really bad soap opera. Attack of The Clones is mostly unwatchable.
Ehh, the "sand" line is awkwardly written and delivered, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The picnic scene comes off very naturalistic in the way they debate politics but also how Anakin casually flirts with her. Portman rarely looked as comfortable in the trilogy. The intense stalker-esque stuff doesn't work, but the whole romance isn't garbage.

Also disposing of the entire film just feels like hyperbole. So many great action scenes, and pretty much everything with McGregor is well done.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #668
A childless dog

I didn't mean that the script is "superior" in a general sense, just superior to the heavy-handed and overly expository prequels.

I do have my complaints with the script, and I've mentioned them several times over the course of this thread, but I appreciate that emphasis was placed on building characters through action instead of giving us the minutiae of every backstory. Because these are, after all, movies, not fan fiction.

Now.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #669
Blue Crack Supplier

At least it wasn't Batman vs Superman.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #670
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
At least it wasn't Batman vs Superman.
I haven't watched the movie but i haven't heard good thing about that movie.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #671
Blue Crack Addict

It's hot garbage
Old 03-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #672
A childless dog

I got spoiled on the ending. Fucking hilarious shit.

Poor dialogue aside, at least the main story of the prequels was thought through properly. The DC cinematic universe is already a trainwreck.

Now.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #673
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
"Superior script"? If you think dialogue is all there is to writing, maybe. There's very little originality in TFA's script, with way too much borrowing from previous episodes, and idiotic choices like feeling the need to one-up A New Hope by blowing up 5 planets at once.

Outside a few legitimately funny lines and some of the character work, it's operating at a fairly basic levels. And even with the characters you have problems like Rey having a pretty easy path to victory in just the first film.

By contrast, Lucas was going for something considerably more intricate in terms of plotting, as well as the deeper subtext about governments and their relations to their constituents.

The editing and cinematography aren't better, either. Just because something was shot on film and has a few nice shots isn't a reason to make such a sweeping judgement. And same goes for the OMG REAL VFX. The prequels used a countless number of models and miniatures, and the effects on all of those films were groundbreaking; here they're no better than in any other contemporary franchise picture.
I agree with allllllllll of this. And I really like TFA.

Quote:
so disposing of the entire film just feels like hyperbole. So many great action scenes, and pretty much everything with McGregor is well done.
I hate like 75% of this movie, but everything with McGregor on Kamino was incredible.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #674
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
It's hot garbage
Its not that bad. Definitely has its issues, but not as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 AM   #675
Blue Crack Addict

It is