Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well I saw it on my newsfeed on Facebook. man 2016 is pretty insane.

I am going to be so fucking glad to see the ball drop New Year's Eve night. Truly, this is among the shittiest of years.

So sad to hear this news. I'd hoped she'd pull through.

(She was my mom's age as well, which makes this even more unsettling to me.)

Was she done with her work in Ep 8?

Even if she wasn't, I really hope they write her off to some happy ending off-screen. No need to kill off her character in some painfully rushed, forced scene. Handle it like (SPOILERS AHEAD) they did in FandtheF 7.

The film was completed shooting-wise awhile ago, so unless they needed reshoots or audio redubs from her, it'll more or less be what she was supposed to be doing.

The film was completed shooting-wise awhile ago, so unless they needed reshoots or audio redubs from her, it'll more or less be what she was supposed to be doing.

Right. But it's doubtful they were going to kill her off in Episode VIII right after Han dying. So I'm guessing plans for Episode IX will have to change now, which is unfortunate, even if her role wasn't likely to be huge anyway.

Let's just hope that her eventual reunion with Luke was in the next film and already filmed.

I did see the movie yesterday and with CGI her character can go on.

I doubt they will do that.

Being someone who saw TFA with a 7yo who had no Star Wars experience and having just spent a Christmas with a 5yo girl who is now a SW fanatic due to TFA, I can say that this film has won over a new audience. The 7yo has now watched most of the back catalog, and actually liked the prequels a little more than the first three, and the 5yo has seen ANH and now watching the animated series. The nostalgia is lost on them.

I saw The Force Awakens with my 20 year old ex and her younger (not by much) sisters.

I had to explain a hell of a lot as we debriefed it afterwards but hey guess what? They now own the original trilogy, the prequels, and despite having lost contact with all but one of them, have seen Rogue One.

That's how that works.

Right. But it's doubtful they were going to kill her off in Episode VIII right after Han dying. So I'm guessing plans for Episode IX will have to change now, which is unfortunate, even if her role wasn't likely to be huge anyway.

Let's just hope that her eventual reunion with Luke was in the next film and already filmed..

Right on. My guess is if they did plan to end Leia's arc in the next one (one way or another), then it might not affect the final one too much. But I do look forward to seeing what they do with her in Episode VIII. Along with the Luke reunion, I'm also hoping they might show her using the Force in a nod to those anticipating it after all these years.

If she were to die, I can only imagine how brutal that'll be to watch in the theater, assuming they didn't change it or whatever. Could've been a similar situation last year if Harrison Ford's plane crash ended a completely different way. *knock on wood*

:sigh: damn... :(
RIP Carrie

(several very wonderful & two extroidinary events happened
to me in 2016, so I can't rip 2016 to shreds like some, but
yeah it's had very, very bad things happen :( )

Haven't seen Rougue yet but if Leia is mentioned etc (not looking at CF R1 spoilers) I'm sure I'll start sniffling in the theater.

I loved to draw Leia beginning to train w Luke to use The Force (and other pre SW:OT, post- ROJ vignettes I'd dream up in the mid-80's - mid 90's).

Last edited:
Just saw rogue one. I have many many opinions. I'll be back later once I've caught up. But .... Yeah

Anyways,
I fucking hated the CGI. Sorry Laz. Leia worked because she didn't move. Tarkin made me think I was watching Polar Express. Horrible. And why do it if you're not going to recast Mon Montha?

In general, the movie has some pacing issues, but the general thing itself, I thought was solid. The final act is probably the best battle sequence in the entire franchise except maybe for Hoth, which I will always be most partial to.

I didn't like the Droid though, not until late in the film. Thought the humor was too try hard. And if you're going to distance yourself from the franchise by removing wipes and the crawl, why include goofy ass references throughout? Like, the cheeky scene with cornelius evazan... Fan service is fun, but come on, they even held on him for several seconds, like "guys guys, do you see him?!"

Anyways, solid. Like it more than 1 and 2. I'll enjoy watching it many times for years to come... But no more CGI please.

My review:

I liked it, particularly the second half, but I wouldn't place it very high in my Star Wars rankings or anything. As hard as they tried to cram a movie's worth of goodness into the final act, and it was indeed a great final act, I kind of agree with GAF's opinion that much of it felt like off-brand Star Wars. The characters were OK, the script was functional but uninspiring, the direction was competent, but for about half of the film, there was some spice missing. It was just...fine. A solid war film with a Star Wars skin over the top.

The second half was much better and, yes, that had a lot to do with bringing the new characters into a familiar context. The stakes rose, the tension heightened, the visuals grew more ambitious, it was just better. Sadly, the lack of intriguing character building prevented me from being saddened by all the (many, many) death scenes. I knew they were going to all die going in but that seemed fairly obvious from the start, especially having seen A New Hope, and little was done to conceal that throughout. Smartly, the screenwriters chose to heighten the quasi-religious fervor of both sides for their respective causes, which gave the film an opportunity to make some meaningful sociopolitical observations along the way. It's a good war film, but only about 30 minutes of it offers the cinematic spark that makes for a great Star Wars film.

There are a number of reasons for this. The tone was off sometimes, with much of the humor falling flat in the midst of such a grim atmosphere. I laughed a couple of times, but they tried to make me laugh far more times than that. The look of the film was rather bland, it had that gritty reboot thing going on, lots of greys and browns. There were some show-stopping visual moments, like Vader marching through the hallway and murdering everything in sight (this scene omg) or the overhead shots of the shield gate, or the final explosion, but it wasn't exactly a feast for the eyes overall. Finally, I just didn't really like the characters all that much. No one struck me as an obvious weak link, but all of the fresh faces in TFA were more memorable in my opinion. Funnier, quirkier, more flawed, more human. I look forward to seeing more from those characters. So much of Rogue One's cast felt like, well, vehicles for a suicide mission.

It's a good, quality film. I loved the final act and it made want to watch A New Hope immediately afterward, so it serves as a link between the PT and the OT. But I'm so glad that this was a standalone film and not our first look at the next generation of Star Wars; the spark isn't quite there, not to the degree that it was for The Force Awakens. I think Disney is doing a great job so far and am on pins and needles waiting for episode VIII, which I have a feeling could be something very special.

7.5/10

1. A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

Last edited:
I saw it a second time and enjoyed it more, some of my quibbles fell away. I still think the characters were underwritten, but I guess since I "knew" them already from the earlier viewing, I cared more this time.

I don't think quite it hits the heights of The Force Awakens (save for the
final Vader
scene, which is just instant pantheon), but it doesn't sink as low, IMO. The fan service in TFA was more eye-rolling, the lack of originality more glaring. I'm still waiting for someone to explain what is cool or interesting about Starkiller Base. And because it's an official "Episode", it's much easier for me to take it to task for seemingly minor things, like ending the film on a fucking media res cliffhanger when NONE of the other films do this.

I can't judge TFA simply on how well Rey's story was introduced, because that's the first 30 minutes of the film. It doesn't really do anything as well afterwards. As I said before, Rogue One picks up steam as it goes along and has a killer finish. That just counts for more in my book.

I really loved the characters in this as time went on far more than I like the new characters in TFA #starwarshottakes

I couldn't name many interesting qualities about the new characters if I tried.
Felicity Jones' character (forgot her name) was Leia-esque, but not as funny or outgoing. She was OK. Then there's the male lead, the guy who looked like Oberyn but wasn't...he had seen some shit, I guess. I felt bad for him sometimes. Blind guy was cool, he was my favorite. I liked his dogged dedication to the Force, that was memorable at least. His friend, he was loyal and good with a blaster. Mads' character was underutilized but I liked what I saw. I couldn't get attached to him in such a limited amount of screen time. Idk. I mostly felt bad when they all died, so I guess that's something.

Rey had the same problem as the female lead in Rogue One, she was too perfect and talented at everything she did. Rey was more fun though, she has potential to be a strong character. Finn was funny, conflicted and entertaining to watch. He added a lot of spice to the film. Kylo Ren was whiny but hey, at least he has emotions. Lots of them. There's tension on screen because he's not a completely predictable evil force that happens to be in a human body, like most action movie villains. He also functions as an interesting meta-commentary on the impact of fandoms because, sure, he wanted to be Vader, but the fact that he couldn't be and was aware of that enormous gap in skill made for an intriguing internal conflict.

One more observation on Rogue One:

I was getting mighty tired of the "accomplish your personal mission and then die seconds later" trope by the end. Every time a character ceased to be useful to the plot, they got shot or blown up instantly. "Just in the nick of time! Wow!" I'm totally fine with characters dying in film, but did it have to be telegraphed so frequently? That was the only negative I could find in the final act.

Last edited:
the male lead, the guy who looked like Oberyn but wasn't...
Thought with the hair he looked more like Bugsy from The Perfect Storm

7642-25152.gif

I liked it but I like TFA more to be honest. Partly because my expectations were much higher for this one (thanks to how much I enjoyed TFA) and something about it left me kind of cold. There was general distant sort of detached feeling I got from it that I have never experienced with a Star Wars movie before, I'm not even sure how to describe it.

Technically it was incredible to watch - the effects and action sequences were top notch. Vader was awesome, I like the nod to his retro brown tinted shades that he was sporting in ANH that were subsequently changed to black in the later films...

The CGI characters were ok. I actually found Leia to be more distracting for some reason than Tarkin. I also laughed out loud when they bumped into the two outlaws from the Cantina in ANH on the street - the dude didn't really look like the original character but the randomness of the whole encounter was a cool moment.

I was getting mighty tired of the "accomplish your personal mission and then die seconds later" trope by the end. Every time a character ceased to be useful to the plot, they got shot or blown up instantly. "Just in the nick of time! Wow!" I'm totally fine with characters dying in film, but did it have to be telegraphed so frequently? That was the only negative I could find in the final act.

I feel you on that. I guess the point is that they were outnumbered to begin with and time was running out. Like, you could show Bodhi
in that vehicle a little longer before the grenade hits, or have Baze fight on a little longer before being cut down,
but these people all knew they were going into the thick of it for some pretty perilous tasks to begin with.

Essentially, you have to account for some compression. But yeah, they could have been spaced out a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom