Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What this scene illustrates is that Lucas wasn't up to the task of directing the prequels himself. He really fucked up in leading the less experienced actors, whereas McGregor, Neeson, Jackson, etc. were confident enough to make the material work. Abrams did a great job with the newcomers in TFA.

Well, I wouldn't trade better line readings (or newcomer casting) for someone else's visuals and sense of space during action scenes. While Abrams had some decent shots in TFA, he's nowhere near Lucas's level when it comes to frame compositions.

If we're weighing what's more important in terms of cinema, it should be no contest. And Lucas has maintained these are primarily image-driven.

Then he should have delegated some of the responsibility, as he did with Empire. The idea of one man writing and directing the prequels to three of the most beloved films of all time, with minimal directorial experience and no practice in that capacity for 22 years is foolhardy. There were bound to be issues.

I have mixed feelings about the current trilogy being passed around among writers and directors though. As with everything else about the current trilogy, it seems like they went in the complete opposite direction of the prequels and made it incredibly democratic. So far I've enjoyed the results, but the decision affects the narrative on a macro-level that we won't be able to analyze until it's complete.

Last edited:
I can forgive TFA for the blatant nostalgia and lack of originality simply because its the most fun I have had watching a Star Wars movie in decades. For me the next movie is the big test, they have me hooked again, I really hope that they try to go in a new direction otherwise I'm out.

I think the next Star Wars film is gonna be even better. Especially with Luke back in the mix and the story of his self imposed exile waiting to be told.

I have mixed feelings about the current trilogy being passed around among writers and directors though. As with everything else about the current trilogy, it seems like they went in the complete opposite direction of the prequels and made it incredibly democratic. So far I've enjoyed the results, but the decision affects the narrative on a macro-level that we won't be able to analyze until it's complete.

I agree for the most part. I thought I heard too that Abrams was actually offered Episode VIII as well, but turned it down due to the sheer time put into one movie. I also thought that Disney tried to assign directors to these movies ahead of time just to get a head start on pre-production (i.e., much sooner releases).

The different hands in it all sort of goes back to how the original trilogy was made as well, so maybe they just preferred that over a singular vision too. Like you said, should be interesting to examine once all the movies are out.

but does he have the high ground?

Yep, I laughed.

I believe Episode VIII will be a step up. Freed of a lot of the burdens of TFA with Rian Johnson at the helm I expect good things.

I'm more excited about Rogue One though. speaking of filmmakers with superb command of space and composition, Gareth Edwards is the man.

I'm ironically looking forward for the sequel to Star Wars Head Space that's gonna surely come out alongside with Ep. VIII.

Then he should have delegated some of the responsibility, as he did with Empire. The idea of one man writing and directing the prequels to three of the most beloved films of all time, with minimal directorial experience and no practice in that capacity for 22 years is foolhardy. There were bound to be issues.

You can make a fair point about Lucas being rusty after such a long period of inaction (though he certainly had a fair amount of creative control on the Young Indiana Jones chronicles as well as Willow), but I think "minimal directorial experience" is rather ridiculous. The guy made three acclaimed films in a row (the latter two receiving Best Picture and Best Director nominations), all very different aesthetically. Terrence Malick had less under his belt (and an equally long absence from the director's chair) before he made The Thin Red Line, was he unqualified to make that film?

I recently rewatched the prequels, and there's a lot of good in there. It's just that bad is so very, very bad it almost overwhelms the good. Oh and I'm still mad at how Lucas wrote Padme in ROTS.

I'm curious what you don't like about her in ROTS; she's given arguably the best line of the trilogy ("So this is how liberty dies..."), and she's shown as instrumental in the origins of the rebellion. It's unfortunate that a fairly substantial scene from that plotline didn't make the final cut (it features a young Mon Mothma and Bail Organa IIRC) but you can at least watch it on the DVD/Blu release.

She also has a great scene with Obi-Wan where she wrestles with whether or not to give up Anakin's whereabouts and the revelation about the dead padawans.

You can make a fair point about Lucas being rusty after such a long period of inaction (though he certainly had a fair amount of creative control on the Young Indiana Jones chronicles as well as Willow), but I think "minimal directorial experience" is rather ridiculous. The guy made three acclaimed films in a row (the latter two receiving Best Picture and Best Director nominations), all very different aesthetically. Terrence Malick had less under his belt (and an equally long absence from the director's chair) before he made The Thin Red Line, was he unqualified to make that film?

Entirely fair, though I would argue the responsibility of manning a prequel trilogy with decades of fan expectations loaded into it isn't quite comparable to directing a standalone epic like Malick.

Last edited:
me too, I am interested to see what her backstory is all about...

I like Kylo Ren as well, we've never really seen a "Sith" during their development, we got Anakin just turning into a Sith and then his decline and death but nothing in his prime really...

I think the character I have the hardest part getting on board with is Finn. I love the comic moments but he's a little too one dimensional so far and his motivation is a little vague. I mean, he doesn't want to kill innocent people, I get that but he has no problem killing his former comrades even though, of all people, shouldn't he at least pause and consider they come from the same circumstances? That doesn't entirely ring true for me.

I think the character I have the hardest part getting on board with is Finn. I love the comic moments but he's a little too one dimensional so far and his motivation is a little vague. I mean, he doesn't want to kill innocent people, I get that but he has no problem killing his former comrades even though, of all people, shouldn't he at least pause and consider they come from the same circumstances? That doesn't entirely ring true for me.

Great observation, and that's some very weak writing that has largely gone uncriticized.

Maybe it’s a bit different when they’re actively trying to kill you, as opposed to the innocent people thing? Assuming the later isn't trying to kill him either, of course...

I'm curious what you don't like about her in ROTS; she's given arguably the best line of the trilogy ("So this is how liberty dies..."), and she's shown as instrumental in the origins of the rebellion. It's unfortunate that a fairly substantial scene from that plotline didn't make the final cut (it features a young Mon Mothma and Bail Organa IIRC) but you can at least watch it on the DVD/Blu release.

She also has a great scene with Obi-Wan where she wrestles with whether or not to give up Anakin's whereabouts and the revelation about the dead padawans.

I think editing out her scenes with Organa was a huge mistake. However the biggest crime was having her die of a "broken heart" at the end. I think it cheapened her character.

Exactly. The story itself wasn't bad, but Lucas just can't get a decent performance out of an inexperienced actor to save his life. That coupled with some clunky dialog delivered poorly, made for some super awkward scenes.

I recently rewatched the prequels, and there's a lot of good in there. It's just that bad is so very, very bad it almost overwhelms the good. Oh and I'm still mad at how Lucas wrote Padme in ROTS.
I hear that!

Strong , smart, determined Padme turns into mostly a wimpering pregnent woman. Yes of course she had the right to wimper BUT she hardly did anything else -yay she called Anakin out- but lose that much
of what she had been?! Feh!

To be fair, we're not talking small stakes here. Practically all the Jedi have been wiped out, the chancellor exposed as a Sith Lord who has now declared himself Emperor, and you find out your husband and childrens' father is a direct perpetrator in those events?

It's not like she has much hope left.

If I were that guy, I'd totally have requested that my tombstone read only "IT'S A TRAP!"

RIP, guy.

To be fair, we're not talking small stakes here. Practically all the Jedi have been wiped out, the chancellor exposed as a Sith Lord who has now declared himself Emperor, and you find out your husband and childrens' father is a direct perpetrator in those events?

It's not like she has much hope left.

8cd8516f30bcc8f81a3b3fe7fc9700c8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom