Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
59LoyR0.gif

So I'm not up on this "new canon" at all. Is there a novel or two that spans the gap between Ep. VI and Ep. VII? Anything that's an absolute must read before the new movie comes out?

There's like a book or two that kind of set the scene, I guess. I'm just reading the recent books now...one is like a prequel to the Rebels tv show that I still haven't seen (and the book seems a lot more violent/adult than what I expect that program to be like) and the other is called Tarkin and self explanatory. I don't think there's too many full length novels at this point, but there's definitely at least one that details some post-ROTJ stuff that this new film will involve.

Tartakovsky's original Clone Wars series has to be canon to an extent considering the events of the last episode segue right into the beginning of Revenge Of The Sith.

Nope. I mean, there's plenty of stuff that fit in nicely with the start or end of these films and all. But they canned everything but the films and two television shows when they reset everything.

I've also heard that the plan is to eventually get out an original trilogy release that is faithful to the versions first scene in theaters (so no "Episode IV" on the first film's crawl or higher pitched Aunt Beru voice...if they are going for complete accuracy) and the original films will now be the canon benchmarks. It's the right move because I doubt anybody is going to be saying, "but the Star Wars universe I know had a bunch of poorly composited CG creatures thrown into the mix!"

I downloaded this one guy's awesome purist versions of ANH and ESB although I've yet to watch them. He sourced the Blu-Ray first and color corrected it, leaving out all the changed shots including ones where they horribly altered the color (such as the setting suns sequence with Luke) and then did everything from rotoscoping in certain shots, using mattes he found, etc. in order to have hi-def versions of these films that are as accurate as possible to their original release. ROTJ is being worked on now although there's an older one out there that starts with the DVD as the main source, so an upgrade is obviously needed.

For what it's worth, the guy did such a great job with these that he was point blank offered a job and now works for one of these companies that distributes 4K and enhanced films for streaming and/or download.

It felt like yet another teaser. I still have zero idea what the film is on based on the trailer (the only thing I'm going to expose myself to before the film), and I think there were some concepts introduced that I already find pretty laughable BUT, I am getting pretty excited all the same.

i would like to thank Carrie Fisher for giving us the first recognizably human emotion in a Star Wars film since 1983.

well i enjoyed the trailer very much

i don't mind it being ?"vaugeish" I haven't followed much of the rumours, real stuff etc'''
without a working computer at home it's hard enuff to follow U2 in Tour-mode! :lol: :sigh: plus the other artistic & science stuff i follow/explore, then add on SW ! :huh::lol:

I loved Han saying yeah it's all true to the yougins who've come looking for answers.

But i have located io9 articles and commentary from Wookiepedia about the cutting of the EU etc by disney etc The quik WP comment was fast to read but the i09 stuff will hve to wait for my next on-line visit

I still love a lot of PM
:p
:D

of course I wish that GL had never conjured up JJB and right now i can't remmeber what JJB did aent the road for Palpie taking over the senate.

Love most of the 3rd prequal

enjoyed soemm of the 2nd one

i want the riding lizard! :heart::lol:

My problem with really both of the longer trailers we've seen is that there's nothing new. Yeah, I get that this is Star Wars, but part of the plot of this movie seems to be that the Imperials kept on fighting and all which is woefully unoriginal given that's what almost the entirety of the books that took place after ROTJ were about. So, we're basically watching what feels (so far) like an eleven year old JJ Abrams playing in his sandbox with his favorite toys.

"Oh, Star Wars? Well, here's Han. Here's some tie fighters. Here's a good Jedi. Here's a Sith. Here's a Star Destroyer. Here's storm troopers. Here's..."

I mean, it was always going to be a pain in the ass to reinvigorate a franchise that everyone felt had shown us everything in its arsenal (hell, Return of the Jedi is chock full of rehashed material), but they've really just gone with an approximation of Star Wars...and frankly, the mock trailer and information about the movie that comes out a year from now sounds a lot more interesting (the one about the Death Star plans) as it won't draw as much from the same well.

Unfortunately, to the general public, just accomplishing something without it being a total embarrassment is a success, hence the massive bankrolls of The Avengers and Jurassic World. And based on the reaction to the trailer, I feel that millions will gum this down without asking the question of whether it offered anything interesting from an artistic perspective or anything new to the Star Wars audience. You shouldn't be praising a movie just because it doesn't have the toothless dialogue and Jar Jar Binks of the shittier recent films. Hundreds of well constructed films come out a year that get lost in the shuffle from either a critical or commercial perspective. Maybe they aren't innovative enough, etc. but my point is that we shouldn't just be rewarding competency here.

Last edited:
My problem with really both of the longer trailers we've seen is that there's nothing new. Yeah, I get that this is Star Wars, but part of the plot of this movie seems to be that the Imperials kept on fighting and all which is woefully unoriginal given that's what almost the entirety of the books that took place after ROTJ were about. So, we're basically watching what feels (so far) like an eleven year old JJ Abrams playing in his sandbox with his favorite toys...........

You shouldn't be praising a movie just because it doesn't have the toothless dialogue and Jar Jar Binks of the shittier recent films. Hundreds of well constructed films come out a year that get lost in the shuffle from either a critical or commercial perspective. Maybe they aren't innovative enough, etc. but my point is that we shouldn't just be rewarding competency here.

:hmm:
well, I'm guessing (pretty reasonably? :) ) much of the SW Movie Audience haven't read the plethora of books & comics, played the video games etc.

I close to hated TZ's books except for ?Thrawn... the ?Admiral who studied hus enemies through studing their Art.
That soured me for a long time. Some one recommended a ? Barnbra Hambley SW which i liked. Read another ine i liked .

SO i actually am ok with seeing more of the Rebels fighting the Empire.

Will borrow from library the books now listed as canon through Disney.

Won't judge the movie till i see it. :)
------------------------------------------------------

On a whole other facet of SW Fandom I was very active as one of the SW (Print)Zine artists who illustrated other fans stories. Not copying from photos but drawing on my own (w references) our heroes, villians, inocent civilians, storm troopers, rebels, cityscapes, countysides, vechicles, the Falcon,and author's other sapients for about 7 yrs. Man, while occasionally frustrating it was mostly fabulous fun! :love:

Before all thaT I started off doing my own Pre-quel comic book (very small dimesions) after ROJ and then other big drawings for myself, a few Post-ROJ stories/ after my 9-5 to share with a few friends. I sent some of that to the Zines editors to show what i could do.
When i found SWZinedom I was overjoyed i could dive into other people's SW ideas and draw them. SWZines came out of STZinedom.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll see you all in December. Getting myself to NOT look at anything until then is going to be so hard. :panic:

I think I managed to grab one of these app-controlled BB-8s before Amazon sold out of them. Hasn't shipped yet but my order is still active at least.

711zzPrFvpL._SL1500_.jpg

My kid is getting the Target exclusive BB-8 ($79.99, but only $64.00 with a 20% off code) from Santa. Regular remote control, not app driven, which saves me from either getting an 11 yr old a smart phone (its already a battle as some kids in his class have them already, hoping to hold out for at least another year) or letting him use my phone to drive BB-8 around the house.

From the comparisons I've seen the Target one is bigger, but clunkier. Most reviews said for a kid get the Target model, for an adult/collector get the Sphero.

Star Wars Episode 7 Remote Control BB-8 – Only a... : Target

Yep. I've watched some good comparison videos between the two, and I'd say you're making the right choice for the right reasons.

8 days. :drool:
I have opening night tix and I'm so hyped. I've tried staying away from possible spoilers as much as I can. Don't let us down JJ!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom