Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Edgar Wright - kicking the film world's ass since 1996

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerhour24

ONE love, blood, life
1999:
spaced.jpg

2004:
fp1382shaun-of-the-dead-posters.jpg

2007:
hotfuzz2-1.jpg

Separately in 2010 we'll get:

Paul:
Paul_Simon_Pegg_Nick_Frost-thumb-550x302-26797.jpg

and Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World:
20100108pilgrim.jpg

and in 2011 hopefully we'll be getting their 3rd feature collaboration The World's End.

If Scott Pilgrim approves it, it must be good.

Plus, we could only hijack the Avatar thread for so long.

I wanted to see Avatar on Imax last night, but its sold out until tomorrow night :(

On episode 3 of Spaced right now.

Oh yeah, I uh, opened it. Because we both have "i"s in our names...

Oh! AND!

in 2011 all 3 of them are collaborating with Spielberg and Peter Jackson on the TinTin series.

tintin_pegg.jpg

PHqpIvtrNDBBut_1_m.jpg

My friend has beene hasslin me to read Scott Pilgrim forever, but I have a strict post-film rule about reading books/comics. Usually because the source material is better than the film adaptation. As Tommy Wiseau says, "We'll seeeeeeee."

I think the one thing the Scott Pilgrim film has going for it is that it's a rather organic companion piece to the books, from everything I've read. Started production right after the first volume was published and evolved along with the written series. Supposed to follow the first two books rather faithfully, then sort of goes off in its own direction, incorporating just the big ideas from books 3-5 and ending the whole thing in a unique way. I read there was also a lot of creative exchange between O' Malley the author and Wright, some of Wright's ideas and dialog finding its way into the later books and such even. And hell, the last volume hasn't even been released yet, set to come out some time this year, not even sure if it's before the film or not. I think this might be one case where it couldn't hurt either way to read the series before the film, since this is a particularly unusual case of adaptation. Not that I necessarily disagree with your logic for reading stuff after the film. Makes plenty of sense.

I think the one thing the Scott Pilgrim film has going for it is that it's a rather organic companion piece to the books, from everything I've read. Started production right after the first volume was published and evolved along with the written series. Supposed to follow the first two books rather faithfully, then sort of goes off in its own direction, incorporating just the big ideas from books 3-5 and ending the whole thing in a unique way. I read there was also a lot of creative exchange between O' Malley the author and Wright, some of Wright's ideas and dialog finding its way into the later books and such even. And hell, the last volume hasn't even been released yet, set to come out some time this year, not even sure if it's before the film or not. I think this might be one case where it couldn't hurt either way to read the series before the film, since this is a particularly unusual case of adaptation. Not that I necessarily disagree with your logic for reading stuff after the film. Makes plenty of sense.

Interesting. That really does change my outlook on reading the comic before the film comes out. Do you know if Matthew Vaughn approached Kick-Ass in a similar vein?

And who else would approve of Nick Frost as Harry Mudd if he were ever to make an appearance in a future Star Trek movie?

Do you know if Matthew Vaughn approached Kick-Ass in a similar vein?

No idea, but I'd wager not. Haven't the Kick-Ass books been out for a while now? I have no idea regarding that either though.

Also, back in D.C. for my final semester. *unhappy*... mainly just because I'm back in D.C.

I want to say that they haven't all been released yet, but I'm probably wrong.

I want to say that they haven't all been released yet, but I'm probably wrong.

OK, I was way off. Series only started the April before last and is ongoing. Apparently the film was optioned before the first issue even hit. Which is a good sign I guess. I don't know. Still, there doesn't seem to have been any where near the sort of collaboration that occurred with Pilgrim.

Also, did I put Kick-Ass on my 2010 list? Because I should have. I forget. Also, now we're talking about it so much, I'm pretty sure Pilgrim should have been much higher on that list too... like #2 high, just behind Malick. That and Kick-Ass are pretty far and away the two really mainstream film releases this year I'm anticipating above all others.

My friend has beene hasslin me to read Scott Pilgrim forever, but I have a strict post-film rule about reading books/comics. Usually because the source material is better than the film adaptation. As Tommy Wiseau says, "We'll seeeeeeee."

See I'm the exact opposite. I get your logic, but I just can't read novels after having seen the movie, it ruins it for me, you picture the actors as the characters and the filmmaker's visual instead of your imagination and then you nitpick the novel. As much of a film-lover as I am, I'd rather pick the film apart for its differences than the book.

Well Lance you'll be happy to know I'm reading the first issue of Scott Pilgrim, and it's hilarious :up:.

Well Lance you'll be happy to know I'm reading the first issue of Scott Pilgrim, and it's hilarious :up:.

I probably prefer the volumes in this order:

But it's really splitting hairs. Volume 1 is a favorite because I just love the courtship between Scott and Ramona. And Knives Chau only continues to become more hilarious as the books go on. But she's an essential part of the first volume.

I love Edgar Wright, but the more I read, the more I'm enjoying the quirky art and think it'd make a fun animated series.

I can't imagine an animated version being any more artfully successful than the drawn books, so I'm kind of glad it's getting the live action treatment, honestly

True, I'm excited to see what becomes of it, I just meant as a motion-picture depiction of it, it'd be fun in animated form, not that it'd greatly add to the experience.

It certainly would be fun, but perhaps gratuitous.

It will be a shame if Volume 6 doesn't release sooner rather than later. Volume 5 ends on such a down note, and a not-quite-cliff-hanger, but ends with the most heightened sense of non-resolution/climax-tease of any point in the series. It's been tearing me apart for a long time now. You might want to pace the reading out a while until we find out the release date for the last issue, just as a bit of advice. At least hold out on reading Volume 5 until then. You'll be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom