Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it. I always laugh and even though I didn't know women like that in NYC (although I knew a lot of gay men like that) I still enjoy it. I disagree with people who think the characters are shallow; they actually display quite a depth of understanding about human nature and relationships. They may not be intellectuals, but they're not shallow either. I especially like their humor about themselves.

And I don't care what anyone says--I love Big and thought he was definitely the man for Carrie.

I loved Aiden, too--for myself! But Aiden wasn't right for Carrie. She needed a rich man to support her shoe habit and to whisk her off in limos and jets for exotic weekends. They also had the best sex.

I started watching this show when I lived in China. A fellow teacher was obsessed with it and lent me and my GF at the time some DVD's to watch—it was either that or put up with some Chinese soap opera.

Over time I really started to appreciate it and I don't mind saying so. I know other men like this show, but many wouldn't openly admit it(at least that's what I've found to be the case).

BonoManiac said:

Over time I really started to appreciate it and I don't mind saying so. I know other men like this show, but many wouldn't openly admit it(at least that's what I've found to be the case).

I don't care -- I thought the show was fun.

OK, going off to watch monster truck driving now. <grunt>

I really like the show. It made me laugh!

I think I'm one of the few female viewers that didn't like Aiden. Maybe it was more that I don't find John Corbett attractive.

Doozer61 said:
:reject: I have never seen one episode!

You should at least hunt down the episode(s) where Samantha (the sex babe) decides to give women a go. :yes:

corianderstem said:
I think I'm one of the few female viewers that didn't like Aiden. Maybe it was more that I don't find John Corbett attractive.

I wasn't an Aiden fan - I loved Carrie with Bigl! Was such a great final episode too.

Kinda miffed that CW took it out of their east coast 11:00pm time slot and replaced it with... Family Guy. :mad:

cruzila said:

I wasn't an Aiden fan - I loved Carrie with Bigl! Was such a great final episode too.

Kinda miffed that CW took it out of their east coast 11:00pm time slot and replaced it with... Family Guy. :mad:

I usually watch it at midnight when I can't sleep and I see that now they show Raymond reruns. :mad:

I woke up around 2 last night and they were playing the I love New York episode, when Big moves to CA. I love that episode, it always makes me cry.

I LOVED this show! I own every season on DVD.

So some might say, oh just another gay guy who loves SATC . . .

BUT . . . I have a TOTALLY straight male friend (Army, former Juvi prison guard, originally from Tennessee) and he absolutely loved the show as well! In fact, in its original run, I think he watched the show more religiously than I did!

I thought Season 4 was the last "reality" based season. After that it became a bit too money and fantasy-Manhattan life that only the rich and elite can ever live. Moreso because I think Carrie (who always grounded the show for me) became more of an unrealistic fantasy character to me. Though I did like that her relationship with Berger finally allowed her to be the one in the couple with money and success.

Season 3 is my favorite, followed by Season 4 and then Season 2.

And I'm a TOTAL Big guy!!! :drool: :drool: Yes, he could be an asshole at times, but he was hot!!!! :combust:

Carrie wasn't an innocent victim AT ALL in the Big relationship.

She was never completely honest with him about her needs in the relationship, and despite being unfulfilled, she stayed in the relationship (TWICE) unhappy, rather than letting Big go and putting herself first.

Only when her back was to the wall did she finally muster up some gusto and self-respect and say Bon Voayage to Big.

And even in the very last epsiode, Big's character was the one that had the huge arc and made the emotional change; Carrie didn't change. Again, her back was to the wall and she got herself out of a sinking relationship (Petrovsky) just in time, but essentially she's still following Big's lead . . . only this time he changed himself into being emotionally available, so it's healthy for her to follow him.

I love Carrie, but I wish she'd been just a little bit stronger throughout the series, and not just strong at the last minute.

FitzChivalry said:
Carrie wasn't an innocent victim AT ALL in the Big relationship.

I totally agree. It was always clear that he wasn't emotionally available early on in their relationship but she continued to see him every time he showed up. And she was no angel either, having an affair with him while she was seeing Aidan. They were ultimately the right people for each other but they had to have other relationships to see that. Their ultimate commitment to each other couldn't be rushed, it had its own season of time.

Back
Top Bottom