Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ I agree with you. I think most who are familiar with the show won't find it "Howard the duck" bad. I went in knowing full well what I was getting myself into. I even laughed at the ridiculous moments that weren't supposed to be funny. I went with good company so it was a good time laughing at their clothes...and staring at Aidan on a large format was great eye candy for me :flirt:
Would I recommend this to a non fan? God no!
But I had a good time with friends whether we were laughing at them or with them

It's probably a good thing to go see this movie with low expectations ; I will probably go tomorrow night as I'm moving tomorrow and won't have computer or cable set up til Monday or Tuesday.

Lots of love for Aidan here but I always felt his character stayed around much too long as I never sensed any real chemistry between he and 'Carrie'

It's probably a good thing to go see this movie with low expectations

yes

Glad people are enjoying it. I know I'm being unreasonably crankypants about the whole thing. :wink:

Maybe it's one of those things fans of the show will like, and people who always hated the show hate more than is necessary. Every review I've read, come to think of it, is by someone who hated the series and is having a field day hating the movie.

But it does look ,and sound, awful.

Just came back from watching the new movie with my sister. It was basically a light silly romp with minimal plot, sometimes cartoonish and cheesy and at least half an hour too long. None of the characters have all that much to do but on the other hand I was relieved that they didn't turn it into a misery fest like the first film. Poor Chris Noth didn't look like he was having any fun at all. Overall I thought it was ok but please, please, please no more sequels. Let the ladies hang up their stilettos for good.

It is cartoonish. The tv show had some good and clever writing, this is just silly. We get it- Samantha likes to have sex, enough of the full on naked animal sex. At this point it just makes me cringe, honestly.
and the scene in her office with the panties, OMG come on
They tried to make some sort of political statement about women in the Middle East, it just ended up looking silly and insulting. And the stereotypes in the gay wedding-have they ever had a gay male character that's not an over the top stereotype?

There are some funny lines
Lawrence of my labia for one :lol:

Definitely have low expectations. No more SATC movies, please. Greed is not good.

I saw it on Friday and found it pretty lame apart from a few 'HA ha' moments.. but then again, I'm NOT a SATC fan and only went to hang out with the girls. ;)

^ :uhoh: . . . that bad huh . . . means I'll definitely have to see it now :lol: . . . nothing like a bit of bad/good trash to make me giggle :wink:

There was about 45 minutes to an hour that was really good, old-school Sex and the City, that kept true to the characters and the series . . . and that hour was sandwiched between some of the most ridiculous, over-the-top, are-you-f***ing-kidding-me-?, ludicrous scripted material that I never in a million years thought those four actresses would sign-off on, let alone actually get up there and act out for a film. :doh: :banghead:

I turned to my friend during one particularly horrendous scene and said, "This one makes the first movie look like On The Waterfront!"

Oh, and I just have to say this, but I'll say it in a SPOILER:

As a gay man myself, I was SO OFFENDED by that gay wedding! Shame on, ABSOLUTE SHAME ON, Michael Patrick King if he thinks that is the dream wedding of any real-life actual gay couple! Even given Standford's long-standing penchant for kitch and outlandishness. Just absolutely horrible. I'm still boggled that as gay man, Michael Patrick King could write every single cliched, self-loathing gay stereotype and put it up on the screen for the world to see, enjoy and laugh at!?!?!?!? So offensive to me.

(P.S. It is not lost on me that I am a gay man who went to see Sex and the City 2. Ok, so maybe some gay stereotypes are true. But I still say that wedding was ridiculous! *hmmph* :crossarms: )

^ Thanks for your comments about that :) As I've already posted those were my thoughts too about the opening scene. I laughed at some of the over the top camp nature of it, but I felt guilty for laughing. I guess a gay man can get away with that-a straight writer would be criticized for it (rightfully so). But he probably is being criticized for it by gay people. I know he's being criticized for the Muslim stuff.

From Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

E! reports that “Sex and the City” studio New Line is talking about mounting a movie about the high school years of “Sex and the City’s” main character, Carrie Bradshaw.

It would be based on “The Carrie Diaries,” the new Connecticut-set prequel novel by “Sex And The City” author Candace Bushnell. Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte do not appear in it.

Can they just CGI teenaged SJP into it? Because it's going to be really hard to buy anyone as a young Carrie other than teenaged SJP.

Yes, SJP has such a distinct look that it will be hard to find a perfect teenaged version.

They made Cate Blanchett look like a teenager in Benjamin Button movie but to be honest I thought that it just had a weird creepy effect more than anything else.

I asked myself, how bad could it be? It's hot as hell so I'll escape into a long movie for the afternoon.

Oh dear God. I broke all my movie rules. I ate a bucket of popcorn, I rummaged through my purse looking for chapstick; I rummaged through my purse looking for hand lotion; I rummaged through my purse looking for my cell phone; I read emails; I texted; I checked the time 40 times; during the last scene I sat on the edge of my seat with sunglasses and keys in hand ready to bolt.

On the up side, I almost giggled twice but couldn't quite work up enough enthusiam to get one out: once when the Arab woman was eating French Fries under her veil, and once when...well, hell, I don't even remember, but there was at least one other close call with a giggle.

The only things I honestly enjoyed were the blink-and-you-missed-it flashbacks of how they all met, the french fry scene, and how great Cynthia Nixon looked.

Otherwise, I think Fitz said it best:
Just . . . wow, just WOW bad!

In fact, that's the only time I actually giggled, remembering "WOW bad." Thanks, Fitz!

I saw it last night, too - went in with low expectations and enjoyed the first half but it did go downhill once they jetted off to the Middle-East.
I don't know about the rest of you but most of the people in the audience were laughing throughout and seemed to really enjoy it. Go figure :hmm:

I don't know about the rest of you but most of the people in the audience were laughing throughout and seemed to really enjoy it. Go figure :hmm:

NO ONE was laughing when I saw it. It was apparently the bored-hiding-out-from-the-heat-wave matinee crowd. I am so bummed (but not surprised) by how painful it was. I just thought it could be dumb fun, as cori said, but it just wasn't.

I did remember another scene I liked - Miranda and Charlotte at the bar discussing motherhood came close to being the old SATC. Mostly the only scenes I liked had Miranda in them.

I saw it last night and everyone was laughing, Samantha was hysterical....I thought it was good, although I think I would have run off with Aiden but that may be the next story!

^ oh this

< went with a few girllfriends yesterday afternoon . . . did the whole gold class thing (complimentary passes won at some work function) so the wine and antipasto plate softened the blow a little "doh:

went in with the lowest of expectations but still managed to walk away stunned at how just awful the whole shebang was . . . none of the characters really seemed to ring true this time around . . . that wedding nightmare . . . not sure if I will ever recover from Liza lip synching to Single Ladies (wanted to stab out my ears and my eyes with my bread sticks :yikes: ) . . . and that whole Aidan thing :doh: . . . :gah: . . . we did manage a few giggles but not exactly where the directors were assuming we would laugh . . . oh deary me . . . what a mess :( . . . and don't even get me started on the 'fashion' or that dreadful nightclub karaoke scene . . . :scream: . . . *runstodvdandripsoutseason1totryanderasethesadz*

Back
Top Bottom