Sex & The City Appreciation Thread - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #301
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Yum!! I loved him. John Corbett, the actor, is from West Virginia, too, like me!

God what a HOTTIE.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #302
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:24 PM
So a few friends and I were discussion the movie and the series and Carrie and Big, and I voiced an opinion at the dislike of Big being painted as the bad guy, and before we came to blows (kidding) we had a very in depth discussion in which we all came around to that opinion.

Its one i've held always through out the series. While Carrie is my third favourite of the girls (with Samantha and Miranda further up the list) its not my opinion of her or the writers but perhaps the hype, or the 5 thousandth person who says they have a "big" when in reality fact, its most probably a guy who's not interested that they keep hounding and hounding taking any flicker of niceness as one step away from a wedding ring, or a totally asshole who cares less for them then a stranger on the street.

In the movie for me, I believe Carrie over reacted, and if she had stopped, and talked for a moment more, it would not have been the way it turned out (yes i know happy endings and all, but still, its the months before that get me!)
She became so preoccupied with the wedding (of a woman who cares not for weddings etc) that she scared him, she didn't reassure him, or change plans by said 'we can't stop this' well you can, you can say 'hey we've decided low key is the way sorry!' and placed stress onto someone who didn't need it. Now Big was not totally faultless, but his panic and fear is totally understandable. Also the hissy fit Carrie showed by when he was apologising by smacking him around with the flowers, was an overeacting. If they had returned to the church, no one would be any the wiser. Its ok for the man whos been married twice before to feel a little out of place and stupid at a wedding for the third time. Each time they've broken up, its been Carrie's doing, and I really feel like Big is painted as this chauvanistic arrogant man, when in fact, he isn't.

perhaps i shouldn't have opened that second bottle of wine! hahahaha

Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #303
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:24 PM

I agree with a lot of what you said about the wedding. To have things turn out that way felt forced, like they had to force that major plot point to happen to have the rest of the movie go the way they wanted (i.e., keeping Carrie & Big apart).
Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #304
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
In the movie for me, I believe Carrie over reacted, and if she had stopped, and talked for a moment more, it would not have been the way it turned out (yes i know happy endings and all, but still, its the months before that get me!)
She became so preoccupied with the wedding (of a woman who cares not for weddings etc) that she scared him, she didn't reassure him, or change plans by said 'we can't stop this' well you can, you can say 'hey we've decided low key is the way sorry!' and placed stress onto someone who didn't need it. Now Big was not totally faultless, but his panic and fear is totally understandable. Also the hissy fit Carrie showed by when he was apologising by smacking him around with the flowers, was an overeacting. If they had returned to the church, no one would be any the wiser. Its ok for the man whos been married twice before to feel a little out of place and stupid at a wedding for the third time. Each time they've broken up, its been Carrie's doing, and I really feel like Big is painted as this chauvanistic arrogant man, when in fact, he isn't.
amen. the point in the movie where she realized what you said (it was her fault he got last minute jitters) was the best part. because it was then that she realized, yeah the wheels that were turning for their wedding could've been stopped.

though i do feel just about every scene with carrie and big felt forced in one way or another. let's make a seemingly happy man suddenly change his mind at the last minute, infuriate the woman, and then months later they suddenly get back together and all is right in the world. it just all seemed a little hard to believe to me.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #305
Blue Crack Distributor

It was way to hard to believe. The more I think about it the more it bothers me. Meh, oh well. Just a movie.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 AM   #306
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:24 PM
yeah i sometimes over think some movies, but i think, they get paid shitloads of money to entertain us - so do it right damn you!!!

hahahaha
Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:24 AM
I've just finished my on-and-off Sex & The City marathon, Man I love this show. The only episode I skipped is the one where Aidan and Carrie move in together and Carrie goes all shrill because Aidan's dog chewed her shoes, and Trey brings in the cardboard baby as a joke. That's my least favourite episode ever. Oh, and though I do love Carrie she's got the most irritating shriek in the history of TV,

I've noticed a few random things I haven't noticed before; like a blink-and-miss-it appearance by the guy who plays Jeremy Darling on Dirty Sexy Money in one of the episodes. And that in one episode Carrie's boss Enid wears the same jewelry that Samantha wore a couple of episodes earlier. And that the very final episode has virtually no Carrie narration, which answers the question of why the finale always felt different to me than the rest of the series.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #308
Blue Crack Distributor

I watched a few episodes over the weekend, and nowhere is that annoying Carrie shriek more apparent than in the episode where Nathan Lane announces he and his fag hag are getting married. The "you're getting MAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIII rried??" was akin to nails on a chalkboard.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #309
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:24 AM
My most annoying Carrie-shriek moment has to be the episode where she and Aidan go to Aidan's country shack and she goes mental when she sees a squirrel in the window... TWICE! I mean, jeez woman, it's just a squirrel!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullen's POPAngel View Post
I watched a few episodes over the weekend, and nowhere is that annoying Carrie shriek more apparent than in the episode where Nathan Lane announces he and his fag hag are getting married. The "you're getting MAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIII rried??" was akin to nails on a chalkboard.
Awwwww I LOVE that laugh!!!!!! (In the DVD commentary they tell that they did that scene over and over so Carries' laugh could change from even bigger to smaller. Though now, I can't remember if the one they used what the biggest laugh or a smaller one. )

P.S. That episode, "I Love A Charade", is one of my all-time favorites!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #311
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:24 PM

I've been borrowing the DVDs from my neighbor, until I'm able to get them on my own, and I just had to bump this thread to fully appreciate.
Random thoughts.
I want to marry Steve Brady.
"They Shoot Single People, Don't They?" from Season 2 is one of my favorite episodes. I really relate to it.
The dress Carrie wore to the snobby party in "The Caste System" in Season 2, has to be the ugliest thing she wore in the entire series.

Anyone else?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #312
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:24 PM
I love Steve, but his voice is so annoying. I don't know that I've seen the actor in anything else, so I can't say if it's a put-on for the character or not.

If he sounds like that all the time, then I'll probably pass on everything else he ever does.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #313
ONE
love, blood, life

^ I his voice. I think it's adorable. Steve is not the type of guy I'm normally attracted to, but I just love him. He's a sweetie. I'll admit I was majorly pissed at him in the movie when he told Miranda he'd cheated on her.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #314
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 PM
I've been re-watching all the episodes ON DEMAND and I am finding Aidan annoying. I used to like him, suddenly he bugs me. I don't quite know why. He's ... boring?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #315
ONE
love, blood, life

I love Aidan. He just was so incredibly perfect. The only time I didn't like Carrie was when she cheated on him with Big.

Tags
sarah jessica parker, sex and the city