Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many references to sex (as would happen in a book about high school seniors with boyfriends!), but it's very tame. It's nowhere near the raunchiness of the series.

I didn't mean I thought it might be raunchy.

It's just funny that the teens who would be reading it now would have been so young when the show was popular.

I have the feeling it's going to be bad-so why am I still seeing it in the theater?. Here are some early excerpts from reviews. I read that he wanted to make the movie over the top with the camels and all that because of the recession..we need that because of the recession :slant:

defamer.com

The newest batch of ladygoop premiered last night to much fanfare and fancy dressery. But how was the actual movie? Well, judging by a few critics' reactions, it was not so good. Actually, it sounds terrible.

From that oddly sallow, washed-out cinematography to Michael Patrick King's increasingly strained punnery, SATC2 sounds much like the first movie, only far more tired.

In a scathing hiss of a review, Rex Reed writes for The New York Observer:

The only thing memorable about Sex and the City 2 is the number two part, which describes it totally, if you get my drift. Everything else in this deadly, brainless exercise in pointless tedium is dedicated to the screeching audacity of delusional self-importance that convinces these people the whole world is waiting desperately to watch two hours and 25 minutes of platform heels, fake orgasms and preposterous clothes. It is to movies what fried dough is to nutrition.

You really should read the whole thing. He profoundly didn't like the movie.

Same goes for David Edelstein of New York Magazine:

The thinking behind the movie (written and directed by Michael Patrick King) is undisguised. Let's start with an over-the-top gay wedding! Then we'll send the girls to Abu Dhabi so they can rile up the fundamentalists with their sexuality! Then they'll make fun of women in niqab ("Certainly cuts down on the Botox bill!") but later show (campy) feminist solidarity! Won't they look great swishing around the desert being waited on by smooth young Arab men?

The whole gay wedding mini-plot sounds just about as tokeny and upsetting as the gayness was on the series, only now the two main gays are just mashed together in a sad Liza Minnelli officiated party for lonely gay losers.

But really, of course, this is all about Carrie, as it always was. (Most self-involved beloved TV character in recent memory?) Amy Diluna describes her ish in the New York Daily News:

As if she can't help it, Carrie kicks up some trouble for herself after finding Aidan (John Corbett), now a married dad of two, in a souk. She's dressed as Glinda the Good Witch in a poufy skirt and "J'adore Dior" T-shirt, and she looks like a maniac. But the drama that ensues is so been-there, done-that, you wonder if she has an emotional imbalance that keeps her perpetually dissatisfied with life.

Aren't you so excited girls???

The more I hear about the movie, the more peeved I am about why they even went ahead with another movie.

^ yup . . .I enjoyed the first movie in a kind of *haven't seen my old girlfriends in a while, lets catch up* kinda way . . . but didn't think it was any where near as ground breaking or fantabulous as the series . . . :shifty: . . . will still be frocking up and throwing back a cosmopolitan or two with some buds at the screening of this though :giggle: . . . but its curiosity value and a chance to hang with friends rather than a real yearning to see this one :shrug:

:lol: at the reviews. I'm sure I'll hate it especially if they turn Aidan into a douche but I'll still watch it... Just like I saw Star Wars episode III since I'd already seen everything else

I can't wait to see how awful it is.

The "making of" on HBO revealed some of its dreadfulness. I nearly choked on my caramel hazelnut ice cream when one of them said that what they loved about the wardrobe was that it was both fun and realistic (something like that). I honestly could not believe it.

If my boss still wants to go see it and have a happy hour/movie night, I'll go. Otherwise, I'll wait for DVD.

:lmao:
thanks for sharing, I was cracking up!
I'm watching it tomorrow with a friend. I hope I can enjoy it in the "it's so bad it's funny" kind of way

Well, Lindy West's cheap shot at Cynthia Nixon's partner says all I need to know about Lindy West.

That said, I hope the popcorn's good. I might need extra butter butter-flavored partially hydrogenized oil to get through it.

Well, Lindy West's cheap shot at Cynthia Nixon's partner says all I need to know about Lindy West.

True! That was mean.

As I was reading it, I had trouble deciphering if the description of the plot stuff (re: the stuff that happens in the faraway city that I can't spell from memory) was actually true, or if she was exaggerating.

I was a little appalled at the length of the movie. The first movei didn't need to be as long as it was, this new one CERTAINLY does not.

yeah, i've been shocked in interviews to hear how long it is. now i'm just trying to figure out when's the best time to see the movie. i'm figuring some weekday matinee will be the slowest. no offence to any fans, but i just don't want to be surrounded by a ton of screaming mega-fans or anything.

Thankfully, my boss said she wasn't interested in going, so I won't feel obligated to go have a fun ladies' night.

We're going to save that for Eat, Pray, Love instead. :wink:

I went to the midnight screening for the first movie completely unaware of the length :crack:

a few of my friends saw last nights screening but I decided to wait until tomorrow. I was receiving some funny texts about the film though.

I'm still excited about it. Part of the reason the movies don't work is because the dynamic of SATC worked as a TV series with many episodes a season to tell this story. It was, in my opinion, one of the best shows ever created. That's how we came to know it and how we're used to seeing these characters and their stories. It loses something in trying to take it to the big screen because they're trying to condense a plot line to 2.5 hours that we're used to seeing unfold over 18 episodes. It does fall flat compared to the brilliance of the TV series in terms of quality, but I'm so emotionally invested in these characters that I don't really care. I don't expect anything but having a good time having Cosmos with my real friends and then going to see my favorite 4 "fake" friends.:lol: And of course, the biggest reason I'm excited for this movie, the return of my boyfriend, Aidan Shaw.:love:
Also, there's a rumor that Samantha and Smith end up back together which would make my SATC day.:heart: love them together

I thought the movie was pretty good. Will be honest there were a couple of parts where it was pretty damn cheesy lol. No doubt this movie lacked the emotional punch that was in the first one. Rather decent sequel though and I did enjoy it for what it was.

Btw guessing a lot of people are waiting today to go and see it or the reviews are keeping them away. There was hardly anyone in the theatre last night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom