Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sexywink:

I'll probably have to go alone. Don't know anyone who's interested, and all you guys are spread across the country!

I bet they're going to set up some faux tension with Aiden, like "ooooh, is she going to cheat on Big with Aiden this time, instead of vice versa?"

I don't think they'll actually go that far, but I'm already rolling my eyes.

^Chances are that is exactly what is going to happen. The whole cheating bit has already been done. While I am excited about there being a 2nd movie. There is a part of me that kind of wishes that they had just left it with only the first one.

I know I'm not going to be happy with the movies outcome but I hope Carrie at least thinks about it so I can see Aidan nekkid:sexywink:

honestly I hate knowing he's probably going to get burned a third time. I wish the writers had the guts to let him have the last word. He's been through enough

I never liked Aidan either. I mean, he was okay, but not for Carrie. I thought he was kind of judgmental. She could never really be herself.
agreed. idk, they never seemed like a good match for me. it's been like five years since i saw any of the episodes, but didn't he pressure her to quit smoking? this is coming from an avid anti-smoker, i don't think i could force an ultimatum on someone like that.

agreed. idk, they never seemed like a good match for me. it's been like five years since i saw any of the episodes, but didn't he pressure her to quit smoking? this is coming from an avid anti-smoker, i don't think i could force an ultimatum on someone like that.

Yeah, she always had to sneak around to have a cigarette. Then there was the episode where she was afraid to tell him she'd had an abortion when she was in her early 20s. Then the one where he told her she had to get rid of some of her clothes to make room for him and he made fun of some of them. And then the country cabin she hated. All forgivable in the bigger picture of him being a good, reliable guy and all but Carrie needed glamour and fun in her life, not a fixer-upper in the country. She needed a man who'd offer her a light instead of a lecture when she pulled out a cigarette.

I like THAT granola :drool:

eac1bafd.jpg

He was way too good for her IMO and deserved much much better, but she didn't have to treat him like shit as she did. Carrie was my least favorite of the four gals

He wasn't right for her, but she did treat him like shit. In general, Carrie is the "worst" of the girls for sure - she's pretty self-centered, and treated Aiden like crap. But she did have her moments of being a great friend.

I take back what I said about not liking John Corbett - I just started watching United States of Tara, and I LOVE him on this show, so I guess it's just Aiden I didn't like.

Anyone else planning on reading The Carrie Diaries?

It's pretty fluffy so far (not shocking), but I'm enjoying it if only for insight into Carrie's family, of which we barely heard anything.

She has two sisters! I hope Bushnell ties this all together at some point (more books, maybe? Looks like this one only covers senior year of high school.) so we can figure out why in the hell six seasons would go by on the show with nary a mention of her parents or sisters.

That always bothered me. I mean, we never heard about Sam's or Charlotte's families, either. On the one hand, I guess it's kind of nice to have a show that doesn't have storylines with the cliched "Oh, my parents made me so messed up," but on the other hand, it can be such a big part of what/who defines people, I just found it weird that a show that goes in depth into these women's lives and emotions barely mentioned parents or siblings.

(And I must say, the episode where Miranda's mother died was one of the best episodes of all the seasons.)

(And I must say, the episode where Miranda's mother died was one of the best episodes of all the seasons.)

''Those flowers were supposed to say, 'We're so sorry for your loss', not, 'You're dead, let's disco!'''
:lmao: :lmao: Cracks me up every time! One of Charlotte's best lines ever.

The show addressed parents, but through the side of the men on the show, which is odd and kind of cool. To varying degrees we got: Big's Mom, Aiden's parents, Steve's Mom, and Trey's Mom (and brothers, sort of). The only relative of the women we got, really got (as in actual lines of dialogue), was Charlotte's brother. And then there was at least some mention of Carrie's father and Miranda's mother and sister . . . maybe Miranda's sister even had one line of dialogue in that episode, I can't remember.

So really, the only one we know absolutely nothing about her family is Samantha.

^We do know a bit about Samantha's family. In "All or Nothing" from Season 3, she gets really sick with the flu and when Carrie comes to take care of her she has her make her this drink with orange pop and other random ingredients that she says her mom used to make her as a child when she was sick. There was another episode (can't remember which, it may have been earlier in the same one) where she's talking about how much she loves her life and says "When my mother was my age, she was saddled with 3 kids and an alcoholic husband."

I figured there were some mentions of family I just wasn't remembering, but I just always found it surprising that there weren't more. Particularly when there was more of a focus on the men's families.

For a show I like to argue was more about female friendship and interaction than about sex, it's a little annoying that the only families we really saw were those of the menfolk. It makes it seem like it skews more to being all about the men. Boo!

I wanted to know what their relationships with their families were like, not just little asides. Miranda's mom and sister, yep we got that! I thought that would have been a great theme for at least one good episode - about families making you crazy, or how your family has affected the way you handle relationships.

Maybe they thought that would be too cliched.

I've seen a number of the cast and producers mention this in several different interviews, but especially SJP, and yeah, they tried really hard and made conscious decisions to keep the show's focus on people's Family of Creation and not their Family of Origin.

Cool, thanks! I feel like I can let my hangup go, now that I know it was a conscious decision! :wink:

I liked The Carrie Diaries. It reads like a YA novel in the fairly typical "friendship and romance in high school" fashion, but considering how the show was focused on those things, it makes sense that a high school telling of a similar story would read that way.

This high school version of Carrie was very likable, although a lot of her friends annoyed me. Really liked finding out about her family, and it ends on a note that ties it to the series, which was really lovely.

It's funny - there's not much mention of her looks. I took it as Bushnell's acknowlegement that while she created Carrie and Carrie probably didn't actually look like SJP, SJP is now Carrie, and we all know what she looks like, and even looked like as a younger woman.

I thought it was kind of funny that they never said the exact year. There were a couple of gags about almost finding out, but they definitely left that open as nineteen-eighty-something, although based on the series' mentiones of Carrie's age and a few references to music and the like in the book, it's obviously the early 80s.

I liked The Carrie Diaries. It reads like a YA novel in the fairly typical "friendship and romance in high school" fashion, but considering how the show was focused on those things, it makes sense that a high school telling of a similar story would read that way.

I was surprised when our copies arrived at the library and saw that it is actually catalogued as a YA book, which means it will be shelved with the teen books. I know she's in high school in it but it still seems weird. I have a copy on order because I'm reading something else right now, but Carrie is definitely next.

Back
Top Bottom