RIP Michael Crichton has died..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
wow.. didn't see this coming..

RIP Michael..

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

really new news.. It appears he died of cancer.

Prolific novelist and "ER" creator Michael Crichton has passed away. He was 66.

Perhaps best known for being the author of Jurassic Park and its sequel The Lost World, which were turned into a hugely successful movie franchise, his numerous books have sold over 150 million copies worldwide.

In what his family calls an unexpected death, it was revealed that he was waging a private battle against cancer.

"While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us -- and entertained us all while doing so -- his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes," his family tells ET. "He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget."

I was always meaning to get around to his books. Now I doubly well intend to do so :(.

I feel as if a velociraptor has torn out my heart.

Most scientists don't think 'raptors were as glamorous as Crichton painted them out be. For myself I feel as if I've been accidentally transported back 400 years to a really cliche Renaissance period and I won't be able to save my female friend who has been confused for a princess by an evil prince, andI'll never be able to return home. :scream:

Didn't he write Congo too? lol.

I put my comments in the Reading is Sexy thread, and actually added remarks about his film work.

But yeah, Westworld and Coma are great, and The Great Train Robbery is well-worth seeing, too.

Didn't he write Congo too? lol.

The movie was total camp (I think it was actually intentionally ridiculous), but the book is anything but. A fascinating look at how far communication with apes has come, interwoven with a really unique story.

Probably my favorite of his novels.

:(

i wrote a book report in 6th grade on the andromeda strain. also, one you guys didn't mention: timeline (probably my favorite) :up:

rip

The movie was total camp (I think it was actually intentionally ridiculous), but the book is anything but. A fascinating look at how far communication with apes has come, interwoven with a really unique story.

Probably my favorite of his novels.

I read this a long time ago and I really liked it (and I was psyched when the movie came out - saw it in the theatre :uhoh:), and I also loved The Sphere; but I think time has made me wary of his books. I read a couple more as time went on and just really found them silly - Timeline comes to mind. Maybe I'm lumping in him with the Robin Cooks of the world unfairly. I dunno.

I read this a long time ago and I really liked it (and I was psyched when the movie came out - saw it in the theatre :uhoh:), and I also loved The Sphere; but I think time has made me wary of his books. I read a couple more as time went on and just really found them silly - Timeline comes to mind. Maybe I'm lumping in him with the Robin Cooks of the world unfairly. I dunno.

You're not offbase; I will say the quality has dropped off somewhat. Prey was a thrilling read, but not as deep as his best work. Timeline was an interesting take on the time travel story, but not very good either. Airframe on the surface doesn't seem as high concept as his other books, but a penetrating look at the unsafe practices of the airlines. Didn't feel comfortable flying for a while after that one.

The older ones are definitely all worth reading, though. The Andromeda Strain, Congo, Jurassic, Sphere, Rising Sun, and of course Travels. Only one that I wasn't very impressed with of the 70's-early 90's was The Terminal Man.

Back
Top Bottom