RIP George Carlin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin's routine were indecent, and that the government's broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

Carlin's comedic sensibility often came back to a central theme: humanity is doomed.

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas," he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Carlin, who wrote several books and performed in many television comedy specials, is survived by his wife Sally Wade, and daughter Kelly Carlin McCall.

Rest in peace George. :sad:

I'm going to head over to youtube and watch some George Carlin videos. The seven words you can't say on tv is first on my list. :)

While I couldn't possibly agree with his views on spirituality and such, he was one fucking funny dude and will be greatly missed. Awesome comedian. What awful news.

RIP

I know. I still can't get over it (indra :hug: )

I actually got to see him live a few years ago.
And waaaaaaay back in the 80s when I worked at a record store, he was a customer on a Saturday morning. I was the only one up front/at the register. I remember checking the name on the card as I swiped it, and later I could tell everyone it was him. I still wonder if they believed me (and no, I don't remember what he bought).

So many videos to see on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=george+carlin&search_type=&aq=f

<<<in his honor

FUCK.

TOO MUCH DEATH.

Sydney Pollack, Harvey Korman, Jim Mckay, Tim Russert, and now George Carlin, all in the space of less than a month?! And Charlton Heston not too long before that?! And Anthony Minghella and Heath Ledger and Suzanne Pleshette not too long before that?!

Terrible, terrible year in this regard and we're only just barely approaching half-way through it.

R.I.P. George.

:(

OMG!....:sad:

I LOVED George Carlin....!!
My favorite show of his is "Jamming in New York" (you can find it on youtube).

Another comic GENIUS lost to us.....

RIP George.

Legendary Comedian George Carlin Dies - AOL News

I can't believe how some people have commented about Carlin on YouTube. If you don't like the guy, then just don't say anything. Seems at least one person is posting his hateful comments on several videos posted. :angry:

He was a legend and will truly be missed. I want to watch the comedians this week pay tribute, as I'm sure they will. I'm still shocked and saddened :sad:

I remember seeing him on one late night talk show years ago where he did a routine where he didn't say a single word. It was hilarious. I'd love to see that again.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe this.:sad::sad::sad:

this is so so heartbreakingly sad for me and the world will miss one of the greatest comedians out there who pushed the boundaries of comedy and didn't back down or conform to the rigid rules back then... Amazingly funny man...

I went to CNN and bam.. there's his face... what a shock!

Can't say I'll miss him.

Just the same, condolences to his family. This shit is getting ridiculous this year.

FUCK.

TOO MUCH DEATH.

Sydney Pollack, Harvey Korman, Jim Mckay, Tim Russert, and now George Carlin, all in the space of less than a month?! And Charlton Heston not too long before that?! And Anthony Minghella and Heath Ledger and Suzanne Pleshette not too long before that?!

Terrible, terrible year in this regard and we're only just barely approaching half-way through it.

R.I.P. George.

:(

Just to note, with ever increasing amounts of television and movies over the years, this trend will only accelerate. I imagine that there will be a point in the future where we see at least one semi-major/major celebrity death a day, if only because we have so many "celebrities" now.

I never laughed so hard as I did when I saw him at the Roxy in the late 70s. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

He did a very funny impression of Ed Sullivan in those years, and Ed Sullivan had died recently. Someone in the audience kept yelling "Ed Sullivan!" So George put his mic down and lay across his stool, dead. It brought the house down. That was just one of the things that made my stomach muscles hurt that night.

George was my favorite comedian of all time. Nobody will ever say things like George did. He was truly an original. I can't say I'm shocked though because his health wasn't the greatest the past few years.

RIP George

Back
Top Bottom