Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 AM   #61
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:54 PM
RIP George

Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:54 PM
HBO appears to be showing a marathon of Carlin specials this evening. I've set my TiVo!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Kevin Smith wrote about George Carlin in the latest Newsweek:

A God Who Cussed’

Director Kevin Smith remembers George Carlin

They say you should never meet your heroes. I’ve found this a good rule to live by, but as with any rule, there’s always an exception.

My first exposure to George Carlin was in 1982, when HBO aired his “Carlin at Carnegie” stand-up special. When I saw the advert—featuring a clip of Carlin talking about the clichéd criminal warning of “Don’t try anything funny,” and then adding, “When they’re not looking, I like to go …,” followed by a brief explosion of goofy expressions and pantomime—I immediately asked my parents if I could tape it on our new BetaMax video recorder.

That was a hilarious bit. But when I finally watched the special, Carlin blew my doors off. Whether he was spinning a yarn about Tippy, his farting dog, or analyzing the contents of his fridge, Carlin expressed himself not only humorously, but amazingly eloquently as well. I was, as they say, in stitches.

And that was before he got to the Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television.

I was 12 years old, watching a man many years my senior curse a blue streak while exposing the hypocrisy of a medium (and a society) that couldn’t deal with the public usage of terms they probably employed regularly in their private lives. And while he seemed to revel in being a rebel, here was a man who also clearly loved the English language, warts and all—even the so-called “bad words” (although, as George would say, there are no such things as “bad words”). I wouldn’t say George Carlin taught me obscenities, but I would definitely say he taught me that the casual use of obscenities wasn’t reserved just for drunken sailors, as the old chestnut goes; even intelligent people were allowed to incorporate them into their everyday conversations (because George was nothing if not intelligent).

From that moment forward, I was an instant Carlin disciple. I bought every album, watched every HBO special, and even sat through “The Prince of Tides” just because he played a small role in the film. I spent years turning friends on to the Cult of Carlin, the World According to George, and even made pilgrimages to see him perform live (the first occasion being a gig at Farleigh Dickinson University in 1988). Carlin influenced my speech and my writing. Carlin replaced Catholicism as my religion.

Sixteen years later, I sat across from the star of “Carlin at Carnegie” in the dining room of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. It was a meeting I’d dreamed of and dreaded simultaneously. George Carlin was the type of social observer/critic I most wanted to emulate … but he was a celebrity, too. What if he turned out to be a true prick?

What I quickly discovered was that, in real life, George was, well, George. Far from a self-obsessed jerk, he was mild-mannered enough to be my Dad. He was as interested as he was interesting, well-read and polite to a fault—all while casually dropping F-bombs. But most impressive, he didn’t treat me like an audience member, eschewing actual conversation, electing instead to simply perform the whole meeting, more “on” than real. He talked to me like one of my friends would talk to me: familiar, unguarded, authentic.

I made three films with George over the course of the next six years, starting with “Dogma” and his portrayal of Cardinal Glick, the pontiff-publicist responsible for the Catholic Church’s recall of the standard crucifix in favor of the more congenial, bubbly “Buddy Christ.” A few years later, I wrote him a lead role in “Jersey Girl”—as Bart Trinke (or “Pop”), the father of Ben Affleck’s character. It called for a more dramatic performance than George was used to giving, but the man pulled it off happily and beautifully. (Something most folks probably don’t know about George: He took acting very seriously. The man was almost a Method actor.) Sadly, I consider that “Jersey Girl” part my one failing on George’s behalf, and not for the reasons most would assume (the movie was not reviewed kindly, to say the least). No, I failed because George had asked me to write a different role for him.

In 2001, George did me a solid when he accepted the part of the orally fixated hitchhiker who knew exactly how to get a ride in “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.” When he wrapped his scene in that flick, I thanked him for making the time, and he said, “Just do me a favor: Write me my dream role one day.” When I inquired what that’d be, he offered, “I wanna play a priest who strangles children.”

It was a classic Carlin thing to say: a little naughty and a lot honest. I always figured there’d be time to give George what he asked for. Unfortunately, he left too soon.

He was, and will likely remain, the smartest person I’ve ever met. But really, he was much more than just a person. Without a hint of hyperbole, I can say he was a god, a god who cussed.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

Bravo is re-airing Carlin's appearance on Inside the Actor's Studio tomorrow at 11:00am PST. It was on at 3:00am this morning, but I fell asleep. I set the TiVo for tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

And don't forget that the first SNL with Carlin as host is airing Saturday night.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the heads up

And the PM
Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I have to be honest here, prior to his death, I wasn't much of a Carlin fan. But you know, news like that points you to a certain direction and before you know it you're lifting rocks you never would've gotten to on your own.

What I enjoy the most about Carlin is how eloquent he was and how he's so obviously well read when he uses just the right word in his description.

And then of course the way he just makes fun of "stupid people".

Definitely a very smart guy.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

I watched SNL Friday thanks to my brother's DVD set. It was amazing how many little quips and sly observations that we all use or hear on a daily basis came from George Carlin (like the bits about jumbo shrimp and military intelligence). He definitely made a mark.

That first episode of SNL was quite something, really a variety show rather than a sketch show. They had such a nice showing of artists on that first episode--George Carlin, Billy Preston, Janis Ian, Andy Kaufman, Valri Bromfield and the Muppets--it was a marked difference from how the show is now. I wonder what current watchers thought when they tuned in Saturday.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2904 View Post
I watched SNL Friday thanks to my brother's DVD set. It was amazing how many little quips and sly observations that we all use or hear on a daily basis came from George Carlin (like the bits about jumbo shrimp and military intelligence). He definitely made a mark.

That first episode of SNL was quite something, really a variety show rather than a sketch show. They had such a nice showing of artists on that first episode--George Carlin, Billy Preston, Janis Ian, Andy Kaufman, Valri Bromfield and the Muppets--it was a marked difference from how the show is now. I wonder what current watchers thought when they tuned in Saturday.
I watched it yesterday and was going to post on this! I was going to comment that I must not get 1970's humor. Carlin was Carlin, witty. (coincidentily, my brother and I were debating what the flavor "blue" should be a week or so ago) The other comedian wasn't funny. I sat with a look on my face. She did some school bit. It was fell flat for me.

My second thought is, my god, Janis Ian writes depressing songs!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #70
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2904 View Post
I wonder what current watchers thought when they tuned in Saturday.
What about what the watchers of the old show think about the piece of crap the show has become?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
What about what the watchers of the old show think about the piece of crap the show has become?

I know. I try to be loyal and watch it, but it's annoying more than funny.
I ususally end up watching Mad or picking up one of the various book's or magazine article's I'm trying to finish.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for Humor

I came cross this by accident last night on KCET. I taped most of it and will watch over the weekend. I caught about 10 minutes. Dennis Leary introduced the 7 words portion, followed by Colbert doing "The Word" and then Lewis Black. I can't wait to see the rest. Check your local listings. I think it's 90 minutes, and if I read my schedule correctly, it will re-air here on 2/14. Then I can re-record the whole thing.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

When I saw this thread bumped I thought "ZOMG did he died again?!?!?!111!!?!"
Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #74
Blue Crack Distributor

my heart is still broken
Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for Humor

I came cross this by accident last night on KCET. I taped most of it and will watch over the weekend. I caught about 10 minutes. Dennis Leary introduced the 7 words portion, followed by Colbert doing "The Word" and then Lewis Black. I can't wait to see the rest. Check your local listings. I think it's 90 minutes, and if I read my schedule correctly, it will re-air here on 2/14. Then I can re-record the whole thing.

I actually happened to catch this special. It was pretty good. The only thing that sucked was that they bleeped everything.

Tags
george carlin