RIP Andrew Koenig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonogirl777

Blue Crack Addict
At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about
Just found out the bad news. :sad:

Missing actor's body found in Vancouver park, source says

(CNN) -- Actor Andrew Koenig, missing since February 14, was found dead in Vancouver, British Columbia, Thursday, a source close to the family told CNN.

The body of the former "Growing Pains" star was found in a park, according to the source, who spoke to Koenig's father after Koenig was informed of the discovery.

The source asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Koenig, 41, was reported missing by his parents after he did not board a flight to Los Angeles from Vancouver last week.

Vancouver police confirmed a body was found in Stanley Park around noon Thursday, but said only that it was "believed to be that of Andrew Koenig."

A police news conference, with his parents expected to attend, was set for 5 p.m. local time (8 p.m. ET) in the park to discuss the case.

Walter Koenig -- himself an actor, known for his role as Pavel Chekov in the "Star Trek" series -- flew to Vancouver with his wife, Judy, on Tuesday to help with the search.

The Koenigs said they received a letter from him last week in which their son wrote in a "despondent tone."

He had stopped taking medication for depression about a year ago, his father said.

Unknown to his parents at the time, Andrew Koenig sold or gave away many of his possessions and moved out of his apartment in Venice, California, before traveling to Canada, the family said.

Koenig fell in love with Vancouver in 1988 when he first visited to film an episode of the TV show "21 Jump Street," his father said.

Koenig appeared in 25 episodes of "Growing Pains" from 1985 to 1989, playing Richard "Boner" Stabone, according to a filmography posted on the Internet Movie Database Web site. He also appeared in episodes of several other television shows.

He is described as "a gifted and passionate multitalented young man" on his father's Web site.

He performed at The Improv and had roles in movies that included "NonSeNse," "InAlienable," "The Theory of Everything" and "Batman: Dead End." He also acted on television in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," "G.I. Joe," "My Two Dads," "21 Jump Street," "My Sister Sam" and "Adam-12," the Web site said, and edited, directed, produced and wrote a number of films.

Koenig was an activist interested in many causes, his father's Web site says. He was arrested at the Rose Bowl in 2008 while protesting U.S. involvement in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in China. He opposed U.S. participation because of China's support for a repressive regime in Myanmar, also known as Burma, the Web site says.

Missing actor's body found in Vancouver park, source says - CNN.com

Yeah, I thought this was pretty sad as well. Apparently, he acted in a "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" ep, too. I remember Boner, though, from "Growing Pains". I was too young to get the joke, though my older brothers always laughed about it.

Many suffering from depression rely on psychiatrists and their prescriptions of medication, but psychologists are much more effective and trained to figure out the emotions underlying the symptoms that psychiatrists treat superficially. I'm not saying it's a sure fire solution, but psychologists are better than psychiatrists, who often fall into their own self-absorbed tendencies and aren't trained to read other people or help them figure out the emotional source of the pain in one's past.

Back
Top Bottom