Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

Continue here, it's fucking DIS-TRACT-ING!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:41 AM
A new thread? OHHHH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Da-da-da-da, like this in the background.

WHAT THE FUCK IS IT WITH YOU?!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I want you off the set, you prick!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Why are you trashing my scene?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Im gonna smash your da-da head in with my Batman fist and make sure your tongue is licking your balls in a manner that would make me jealous, you fking prick! you such a little prick it must take hours to find you. fuk you, shut up! I know you are not speaking but shut, the fuk, up!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Saw Rachel Getting Married on Saturday. I was really impressed by Anne Hathaway who did an excellent job playing a deeply damaged character who was both awful and sympathetic. The rest of the cast were great as well and the family drama was really intense and raw. What I didn't love was the hand-held camera - it suited the film and everything but for someone with motion sickness issues it's just never totally comfortable to watch.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
Saw [I]What I didn't love was the hand-held camera - it suited the film and everything but for someone with motion sickness issues it's just never totally comfortable to watch.
Thanks for the head's up! Now I know to take some dramamine if I end up seeing this. I had to walk out of Cloverfield after about 10 - 15 minutes, and Quarantine after about 20 - 25 minutes. Cloverfield was the WORST! I understand they were going for cinema verite, but still! C'mon, it's a fucking fictional horror movie - use some steadied establishing shots!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
Thanks for the head's up! Now I know to take some dramamine if I end up seeing this. I had to walk out of Cloverfield after about 10 - 15 minutes, and Quarantine after about 20 - 25 minutes. Cloverfield was the WORST! I understand they were going for cinema verite, but still! C'mon, it's a fucking fictional horror movie - use some steadied establishing shots!
Cloverfield does have some stellar almost non-shaky shots, like parts of the bridge collapse or the Statue of Liberty head being thrown down the street, if I remember correctly.

The hand-held aspect of Rachel was one of its strengths, I thought, and it didn't grate on me as much as the horror films did.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Cloverfield does have some stellar almost non-shaky shots, like parts of the bridge collapse or the Statue of Liberty head being thrown down the street, if I remember correctly.
I wish I could've stayed long enough to see that. I pretty much had to flee, or I was going to loose it in the theater, right when the first explosion happened at the party and they ran out onto the balcony . . . that's when Fitz ran out of the theater!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand motion sickness, especially the part where you can get it without actually being in motion. I know it's real and all, I just can't imagine it. I fall asleep on any moving vehicle I'm not driving, plus water beds.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Yeah never had that problem with movies, I usually don't even notice whether a handheld is being used unless the shaking is really pronounced..

Zodiac

I'd read only a little about the real case but it was interesting enough to make me want to watch this. Turned out to be a great movie and made me want to learn more about the real-life Zodiac events. It's amazing that they never caught the guy, with the eventual amount of info that they had to profile him as well as his obvious ego...

The Descent

Pretty good survival horror film, though I felt that once the monsters made their first appearance there were too many cheap "boo! moments. The first part of the movie gave the impression that it could have been much better than it turned out to be, in fact for a while there I thought it might be a classic. It was still pretty good though, and I liked that they went with an all girl cast so there was no temptation to throw in some token romantic side-story as a minor distraction while they were running around trying to avoid being eaten.

ExistenZ

This was okay, the concept was great but the story wasn't interesting enough. By the time the twist came I just didn't care because everything up to that point hadn't been so good. Also the dialogue was pretty lame, intentionally in some places but I don't think that can be used as an excuse for pretty much the entire film. I think I'm being especially tough on it because I love the genre and had high hopes, also David Cronenberg is capable of producing great stuff even if he is a bit of a sicko..
Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 PM
I just showed eXistenZ to some friends. While not as good as its predecessor Videodrome, I still think it's a great (and prescient) look at gaming and how people get to deep into it the line between reality and fantasy is blurred. He also was pretty blunt about the sexuality inherent in these kind of endeavors.

While the dialogue and acting are at times stiff, isn't the whole point that they're in a game? Which would make things a bit programed? It may seem like an excuse but to me it totally felt intentionally stylized like that to put you off-balance.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:08 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 11:41 PM
RockNRolla - VERY fuking disappointed with this one! while I thought Toby Kebbell stole the movie more than any of the others - this is so shit compared to Lock Stock and Snatch (2 movies I always rate 9 outta 10 because the cast are so fuking good!) - but this one had a shit cast, shit! Im givin 5 outta 10. too much loose plot. dumb areas. stupid. trying old format YEARS later and it not working this time. jaysus Guy.

Sleepwalking - ahh alright I guess - 5 outta 10

Death Race - fuking bollox so 3 outta 10.

Phonebooth last night - 6 outta 10, 6 for Colin's great acting, but so many times this movie has laughable scenes and esp when it comes to the Sniper and things you feel he aint noticing, etc. people debate this Sniper scenerio so much, LOL!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I just showed eXistenZ to some friends. While not as good as its predecessor Videodrome, I still think it's a great (and prescient) look at gaming and how people get to deep into it the line between reality and fantasy is blurred. He also was pretty blunt about the sexuality inherent in these kind of endeavors.

While the dialogue and acting are at times stiff, isn't the whole point that they're in a game? Which would make things a bit programed? It may seem like an excuse but to me it totally felt intentionally stylized like that to put you off-balance.
Exactly.

When it's in something like Scanners, you can gripe about bad acting, but here, it's incredibly deliberate.

Also, I picked up the Criterion of Videodrome last week. Haven't watched it yet, but I cannot wait.