Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a fan of Manwolf? Or whatever the hell that movie was called...

This is seriously one of the most shockingly awful episodes of this podcast they've done. And I was actually coming around to them the last few weeks.

I hadn't heard of that until he mentioned it, but I do like Conan. I wouldn't see it, but most of his thoughts of the film news (especially the Alien reboot/prequel/whatever), recent viewings echoed mine up until the Serious Man talk. I also thought he did a good job discussing Funny People, and I usually disagree with him whenever he's on the show.

Yeah, it's a trainwreck.

Woah, yeah. He just said he doesn't like No Country for Old Men. What the fuck? You know what that makes him?

Wrong. Objectively wrong.

I'm going to test out the Battleship Pretension podcast to see how that one is.

Did you see Funny People, YLB?

I stopped before the spoiler section here in the podcast, because there's a change it might be what I'm seeing tomorrow with a few friends.

Did you see Funny People, YLB?

I stopped before the spoiler section here in the podcast, because there's a change it might be what I'm seeing tomorrow with a few friends.

I did and absolutely loved it. The three biggest revelations here are Sandler's and Rogen's performances, which are both leaps-and-bounds ahead of anything they've done... especially Sandler, and I adore Punch-Drunk Love. I'd say it's my favorite male perf of the year so far. And Judd Apatow's emergence as a legit filmmaker. Maybe it partly has to do with the collaboration with Janusz Kaminski and film's overall look, but there's a maturity and honesty in how the themes are explored and character arcs are built that really surprised me. It's a culmination of what he's been working towards since Freaks and Geeks, Virgin, Knocked Up and still funny as hell.

Maybe. I'll probably end up seeing it tomorrow regardless, but I'm really not anticipating the experience. I'm not sure I can withstand 2.5 hours of Apatow "storytelling" to be honest. 30-Year-Old Virgin works for me because the actual story there is extremely thin, and it's essentially a vehicle for the comedic performances and some really memorable moments. I've come to settle on the opinion that Knocked Up is a pretty deplorable film all around, to be honest. I don't think any of the relationships or characters work in any way by any standard, the whole thing is remarkably bloated despite offering so little to really chew on or latch on to, and having seen it again I just find the whole of the dramatic content really actively unlikable, frustrating, and ultimately irrelevant. It also didn't help that Katherine Whatsherface offers up one of the most disgustingly unappealing and unimpressive performances I've seen in years.

And I'm guessing it's my total hatred for Knocked Up that has me especially worried about seeing this new film, which by all accounts has the appearance of being even more bloated, and more heavy on Apatow's so-called "drama." I really hope I end up on the other side of the fence though, because 2.5 hours is a long time to be trapped in something you hate.

It totally demolishes Knocked Up in terms of dramatic content and believable character relationships and the like. The only thing that worked for me out of that film was the Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann marriage. I think if there is a stumbling block toward enjoying Funny People, it's the third act, which is clunky no matter how you look at it. How much you accept Rogen and Sandler's relationship and Sandler's attempt at reconnecting with his past will determine that.

Were you a fan of Freaks and Geeks?

I never really watched Freaks and Geeks back in the day, though I should probably revisit it some day. Although it's surely pretty low on my long list of "television series I should probably watch some day... eventually".

Hah, fair enough. I think that's a good indicator on whether or not you'd enjoy Funny People, but that's just me.

And while I'm bringing up "old" television shows, I have to say Avatar: The Last Airbender is the greatest thing I've ever seen made for TV.

I love everything Judd Apatow has done. :shrug:

Knocked Up FLOORED ME in the theatre. I thought it was hilarious and rather sweet as well. 40 Year-Old Virgin had more cheap laughs, but I don't think it was a better film by any stretch of the imagination.

Glad that you like Funny People, YLB. It's probably my #3 for the year after Tetro and Adventureland, maybe even taking the place of the latter.

Unless I'm forgetting something (and no, not Up).

Adventureland is a film that seems to keep coming up all over the place. I'll be sure to check that out at some point on dvd.

Knocked Up, in my opinion, was NOT better than 40year old.

I also found all comedy Airheads to be very very funny, thanks to the three main guys Steve, Brendan and Adam. :up:

Oh Im just wondering if this new Coco Before Chanel is good??

For whatever it is worth:

I've really grown tired of Apatow and Apatow-esque films. The only one of the entire bunch I could ever watch again and enjoy would be The 40 Year Old Virgin. The rest just don't do it for me. When Funny People makes its way to cable, I'll watch, though.

I'd like to see Adventureland.

I suck, there are so many movies I want to see and lately I just don't get around to it.

I've really grown tired of Apatow and Apatow-esque films. The only one of the entire bunch I could ever watch again and enjoy would be The 40 Year Old Virgin. The rest just don't do it for me. When Funny People makes its way to cable, I'll watch, though.

thank you, Knocked Up was kind of funny, Superbad made me laugh maybe twice and I have no problem Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

See what I did there?

Saw Step Brothers last night. I will never see John C Reilly as a srs actor again, but that was a very funny movie.

I've really grown tired of Apatow and Apatow-esque films. The only one of the entire bunch I could ever watch again and enjoy would be The 40 Year Old Virgin. The rest just don't do it for me.

Agreed. I almost walked out of Knocked Up. 40 Year Old Virgin was sweet and charming, though.

I love everything Judd Apatow has done. :shrug:

Knocked Up FLOORED ME in the theatre. I thought it was hilarious and rather sweet as well. 40 Year-Old Virgin had more cheap laughs, but I don't think it was a better film by any stretch of the imagination.

Glad that you like Funny People, YLB. It's probably my #3 for the year after Tetro and Adventureland, maybe even taking the place of the latter.

Unless I'm forgetting something (and no, not Up).

Here's my '09 list as of right now:

1. Watchmen
2. Up
3. Star Trek
4. The Brothers Bloom
5. The Hurt Locker
6. Funny People
7. Moon
8. In the Loop
9. The Girlfriend Experience
10. Public Enemies
11. Observe and Report
12. Adventureland
13. Coraline
14. Drag Me to Hell
15. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
16. Whatever Works
17. Two Lovers
18. Taken
19. Brüno
20. The Hangover
21. Land of the Lost
22. I Love You, Man
23. Monsters vs. Aliens
24. Fanboys
--- (Pile of Shit Zone) ---
25. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
26. Terminator: Salvation
27. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Nothing is set in stone as of right now. Still not too comfortable with the placement of the Top 13 (which I consider the keepers of the list), but hey, I think it's solid for the pre-Fall season.

Adventureland is a film that seems to keep coming up all over the place. I'll be sure to check that out at some point on dvd.

And for good reason.

Saw Step Brothers last night. I will never see John C Reilly as a srs actor again, but that was a very funny movie.

I don't think Reilly wants to see himself as a serious actor again. See Walk Hard.

So Fanboys wasn't very good, LMP? Even with KBell in the Leia slave outfit? I kinda wanted to check that one out.

I need to see Moon. And Funny People. And then Basterds, when it comes out. And then I'll be set for the year probably.

Fanboys is mostly a pile of meh, with a few good Star Wars in-jokes and about two minutes of Kristen Bell in the slave outfit.

Here's my '09 list as of right now:

1. Watchmen
2. Up
3. Star Trek
4. The Brothers Bloom
5. The Hurt Locker
6. Funny People
7. Moon
8. In the Loop
9. The Girlfriend Experience
10. Public Enemies
11. Observe and Report
12. Adventureland
13. Coraline
14. Drag Me to Hell
15. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
16. Whatever Works
17. Two Lovers
18. Taken
19. Brüno
20. The Hangover
21. Land of the Lost
22. I Love You, Man
23. Monsters vs. Aliens
24. Fanboys
--- (Pile of Shit Zone) ---
25. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
26. Terminator: Salvation
27. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Man, you see a lot of crap.

I totally forgot Watchmen when I made my mini ranking. That would definitely be #2 behind Tetro.

Never got around to Observe and Report, which I'm bummed about.

Girlfriend Experience would probably be in the Top 5 as well.

Man, you see a lot of crap.

I totally forgot Watchmen when I made my mini ranking. That would definitely be #2 behind Tetro.

Never got around to Observe and Report, which I'm bummed about.

Girlfriend Experience would probably be in the Top 5 as well.

Those are either things friends want me to see or free. Or you know, some that I like. I'd defend pretty much everything from Taken on up.

Holy crap, I saw The Girlfriend Experience and loved it. Heard some coworkers talking about it and how horrible and boring it was.

Made me feel good about heading back West soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom