Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I loooooove Amadeus. Whatever happened to Tom Hulce, anyway?

I have no idea. Last thing I can think of him being in was Parenthood, and he was the voice of Quasimodo in the Disney version of The Hunchback...

That guy needs a comeback.

I have no idea. Last thing I can think of him being in was Parenthood

Parenthood is one of those movies that I just love. I haven't seen it in a long time; maybe it's time to throw it in the Netflix queue.

"Well, if Grandma's so smart, then why is she sitting in the neighbor's car?!"

Wait, Gladiator was subtle? I enjoy Ridley Scott for what he is, a capable action director with two bona-fide fucking masterpieces (Blade Runner and Alien), but he's never matched that sort of success. Granted, I'll be watching the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven for the first time today and still need to see Black Hawk Down, but if we're matching these two guys by their filmography, Cameron's is far more solid.

Ridley Scott is a visual artist moreso than an action director to me, although if you want to match astonishingly real action-direction with a gutwrenching real story, you need to see BHD. Gladiator is not subtle no, the screenplay and the acting demand attention, and its a crowd pleaser, but in terms of staggering achievements, his work and the screenplay, and the music, design, etc of KOH is one of the most impressive movies I've ever seen.

Most definitely, but to me he focuses on that detail and the overall spectacle, sacrificing character and emotional depth. Again, I think Alien and Blade Runner fit the bill as to what you were talking about, but his "epics" like Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, and American Gangster miss that mark. He throws out "realism" in favor of what looks great on-screen, which is fine, but something is lost in the process. American Gangster in particular romanticizes Denzel's character to such a ridiculous extent that it's not only factually incorrect, but is almost morally bankrupt, as opposed to the approaches in other gangster films like GoodFellas or even The Untouchables.

Ironically, I think his lower-key movies, Black Rain and Matchstick Men are more complete films than any of the three I mentioned above. Maybe because they're more actor-based vehicles than anything else, but they just work for me.

Did you watch the KOH director's cut yet? You may not want to include it alongside the other two after seeing it, because I think most of what was excised for the theatrical release was the character and emotional material you're talking about, particularly with regard to Eva Green's character.

Did you watch the KOH director's cut yet? You may not want to include it alongside the other two after seeing it, because I think most of what was excised for the theatrical release was the character and emotional material you're talking about, particularly with regard to Eva Green's character.

I made it to the Entre'act, took a nap, and will resume in a few moments.

I guess a lot of her stuff happens after the intermission.

Nothing can change how horribly miscast Orlando Bloom is as the Balian. I just cannot buy him as this tortured, yet virtuous leader who's a badass at the same time. Maybe Russell Crowe could've done it, I don't know, but it needs to be someone else.

I wouldn't say Bloom was very good, but he was serviceable and didn't bother me. He was certainly going into that film with a lot of pretty boy baggage.

If he weren't the lead, it wouldn't bother me as much. Doubly so since the supporting cast is stellar.

Alright, I take it back, Kingdom of Heaven was pretty awesome. You win, powerhour.

I hope you have something more interesting to say than that one-line review, YLB.

At least give it up for

kingdomofheavenpubq.jpg

and

BaudouininStudy.jpg

Alright, I take it back, Kingdom of Heaven was pretty awesome. You win, powerhour.

Wooo! Yeah, no one should ever judge it based on the botched theatrical mess, it was obvious watching that version that there were holes where stuff had been cut, but I never expected so much of an arc from the director's cut, one of my top films of the decade.

I watched Little Miss Sunshine for the first time today.

I'd always wanted to see it - yes, mostly because Steve Carrell was in it (though strangely that did not want to make me see Bruce Almighty, work that one out :scratch:) - but never got around to it. We watched it today for Media&Comm, and was it a great movie. When we stopped watching half way through and the lights came on I discovered I had my feet on the seat next to me and I was holding my legs, without even noticing. I got really into. It's heartbreaking in parts, hilarious in others. I guess while my family's nothing like that, I can draw similarities and I related because I can see my family in some of the characters, and especially because I have a sister aged 10. Very unexpected (and a smidge unsatisfying) ending but it worked well. Will watch it again.

Reminds me though... in what movie was that final scene where she's dancing to Superfreak spoofed? Or have I just seen that part of the movie before...

Up with Donnie Darko, The Castle and a few others as one of my favourites.

The Corporation

Fascinating and often appalling. It was a 2-1/2 hour documentary and it didn't feel nearly that long.

I thought it was a good film. Not BP nom worthy. But I don't really have an issue with that guy winning screenplay. Especially compared to Diablo FUCKING Cody.

Good deal. I enjoyed it myself too. That screenplay doesn't even compare to that Juno shitstorm. It's actually nice when a script, you know, develops themes and such, and has legitimate characters.

I've seen it plastered everywhere, but have sort of been afraid to watch it. I have a bad feeling about this one for whatever reason.

I had an iffy feeling about it. There were a few gags thrown in there that I liked, but it seemed to be a zanier comedy than I was expecting. Larry David is a near-perfect substitute for Woody in this instance though.

Of his pure comedies, I think the last one I enjoyed was Manhattan Murder Mystery. Granted, I haven't seen his stuff between Sweet and Lowdown and Match Point, but those aren't held in high esteem by many anyway, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom