Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary and Max

I love claymation and it always leaves me in awe of the people who have the patience to work with this medium. This film was fantastic; idiosyncratic, surprisingly dark and often bleak yet also very funny and full of warped black humour and visual gags. The animation, the attention to detail and the whole world created in the movie was just amazing.

State Of Play

7/10

Surprisingly entertaining, in spite of Affleck's wooden acting. Not nearly enough Helen Mirren. She elevates the movie every second she's in it.

I Capture the Castle

A pretty decent adaptation, though no match for the charm of the book. I thought casting was hit-and-miss; Romola Garai (who I recognised from Atonement) and Rose Byrne were wonderful as two sisters, but the two American brothers were utter bores. It's perhaps unfair but I just can't watch Marc Blucas in anything without thinking of Buffy's Riley Finn and how much I couldn't stand the character during my Buffy craze phase.

Changeling

Mixed feelings about this one. It has a powerful story behind it, and for the most part the film is gripping and suspenseful, but it IMO runs out of steam in its second half when it morphs into a courtroom drama and it feels like you're watching an overlong epilogue. And Angelina didn't really work for me in the lead role, partly because of the way she looked. She's got such bold features already and when you add pale skin, red lipstick, tons of eyeshadow and gloomy cinematography the whole effect is too cartoonish and distracting - and in some scenes she IMO looked outright ghoulish.

is there anyone here well into their classic movies who might recognise this scene?

I only saw 5 seconds of it.

black and white
Big busted blonde like dancing seductively either in the rain or under the show. this shot she holds her head up to the drops and runs her hands down her neck etc.

dont worry if no-one knows

tis cool :)

Battle In Seattle

It was hard to believe that this all went down in Seattle. We are the most boring city of nice people (friendly as all get-out, but your neighbors will keep to themselves - we're weird like that; it's the myth of "Seattle Nice"). Passionate people and a bunch of lefty liberals, but man, that was some bad shit that went down.

I remember watching it on the news back in Wisconsin just a few months before I moved here, and my friends saying to me "... and this is the place you want to move?" Heh. I remember some of the downtown storefronts still boarded (the Westlake Center Starbucks, for instance) from the vandalism for a while after moving there. And my new coworkers downtown telling us how scared they all were, how they didn't know how they were going to get home during the protests and riots.

It was those goddamned anarchists from hippieville nowhere Oregon who had to come in and ruin it for everyone. Fuckers.

Anyway! The movie was very good. A few little fake personal stories thrown in to give us characters to care about (or not), but I thought it was well-done.

As Knute Berger said in the book I just finished reading, it was nice to see Seattle behaving badly for once. At least until the anarchists showed up. (Fuckers.)

PS: Bonus points for the use of "Fake Empire" by The National.

Looking back, I'm a little more bummed than I realized that he didn't win the Oscar. Penn played against type, and was very convincing. But I found there was a bit more humanity and naked truth in what Rourke was doing. When he cries to his daughter it didn't feel like a forced emotional moment (like a similar moment in Milk with the suicide), but a real crack in the armor.

I was thinking about the Oscars last night as well. My initial feeling is that Penn should have won for inhabiting a completely different character. Did too many voters think "Oh, Rourke is just really playing himself, isn't he?"

But he was amazing. He certainly moved me more than Penn, who mostly just impressed me.

I saw the first 10 mins of Blade the other night, I dont know whether to rent it out now, it kinda looks good.

The Perfect Storm. 7 outta 10 - because I love Whalberg, and in fact the entire cast apart from Diane and Mary, were just great. this movie is so sad at the end, the music is so beautiful :up:

hmm, what else did I see on TV or......oh yea, Heartbreakers, I always love this movie, its never boring, and Jennifer has one HELL of a body in it hey! :hyper:

also, Jason Lee is hotter in this than he is as Earl.

Tulpan - 8/10

The film is set in Kazakhstan (real that is, not the Borat version :)) and is about a young man who returns from the navy to live with his sister's nomadic family in the steppe, and must win the hand of the only unmarried young woman around in order to get his own flock. The romance though doesn't play as big a part as I'd have thought and there's very little actual plot; the movie mostly focuses on depicting the daily life of the family in a harsh, desolate region that nevertheless has its own peculiar beauty. Slow-paced but very captivating. I think though that I've learnt more about sheep giving birth than I've ever cared to know :ohmy: I also found it a tad distracting that the dialogue was half-Russian and half-Kazakh so I constantly switched between reading/not reading subtitles.

The Soloist

Yes it's corny and schmaltzy and all that but I enjoyed it anyway-mostly for RDJ's performance. Jamie Foxx's just didn't ring true to me. Robert just continues to amaze me with his acting skills, and his attractiveness is at its peak too. The scene in which he's talking to his ex wife about the earthquake and the situation with Mr. Ayers just killed me.

9/10 for his performance

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

You know those movies you have in your Netflix queue, that you added way back when because at one point you wanted to see them, and just didn't have the heart to take out of your queue? And then they bump to the top of your list but you don't feel like watching them because you're in the middle of yet another TV-on-DVD show marathon so you keep pushing them back? And then you finally figure that you'll watch it?

I have a lot of those movies in my queue, and this was one of them.

A lot of it was really dumb and too over-the-top, and the cheesy lines were eye-rolling, but as far as continuing the Terminator story, I kind of dug it. I hadn't realized this movie's plot was "this is when the shit goes down."

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

You know those movies you have in your Netflix queue, that you added way back when because at one point you wanted to see them, and just didn't have the heart to take out of your queue? And then they bump to the top of your list but you don't feel like watching them because you're in the middle of yet another TV-on-DVD show marathon so you keep pushing them back? And then you finally figure that you'll watch it?

I have a lot of those movies in my queue, and this was one of them.

A lot of it was really dumb and too over-the-top, and the cheesy lines were eye-rolling, but as far as continuing the Terminator story, I kind of dug it. I hadn't realized this movie's plot was "this is when the shit goes down."

The only saving graces of this movie are the truck chase sequence with "Arnold" riding on the back of that crane, the general hotness of the T-X, and how epic and bleak the ending was. What an incredible way to end a shitty movie.

Let's hope Salvation fares a lot better than this.

The only saving graces of this movie are the truck chase sequence with "Arnold" riding on the back of that crane, the general hotness of the T-X, and how epic and bleak the ending was. What an incredible way to end a shitty movie.

Let's hope Salvation fares a lot better than this.

I agree with every word here.

I agree with every word here.

So does this guy:

the-t-1000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom