Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gonna smash your da-da head in with my Batman fist and make sure your tongue is licking your balls in a manner that would make me jealous, you fking prick! you such a little prick it must take hours to find you. fuk you, shut up! I know you are not speaking but shut, the fuk, up!

Saw Rachel Getting Married on Saturday. I was really impressed by Anne Hathaway who did an excellent job playing a deeply damaged character who was both awful and sympathetic. The rest of the cast were great as well and the family drama was really intense and raw. What I didn't love was the hand-held camera - it suited the film and everything but for someone with motion sickness issues it's just never totally comfortable to watch.

Saw What I didn't love was the hand-held camera - it suited the film and everything but for someone with motion sickness issues it's just never totally comfortable to watch.

Thanks for the head's up! Now I know to take some dramamine if I end up seeing this. I had to walk out of Cloverfield after about 10 - 15 minutes, and Quarantine after about 20 - 25 minutes. :sick: Cloverfield was the WORST! :barf: I understand they were going for cinema verite, but still! C'mon, it's a fucking fictional horror movie - use some steadied establishing shots! :rant:

Thanks for the head's up! Now I know to take some dramamine if I end up seeing this. I had to walk out of Cloverfield after about 10 - 15 minutes, and Quarantine after about 20 - 25 minutes. :sick: Cloverfield was the WORST! :barf: I understand they were going for cinema verite, but still! C'mon, it's a fucking fictional horror movie - use some steadied establishing shots! :rant:

Cloverfield does have some stellar almost non-shaky shots, like parts of the bridge collapse or the Statue of Liberty head being thrown down the street, if I remember correctly.

The hand-held aspect of Rachel was one of its strengths, I thought, and it didn't grate on me as much as the horror films did.

Cloverfield does have some stellar almost non-shaky shots, like parts of the bridge collapse or the Statue of Liberty head being thrown down the street, if I remember correctly.

I wish I could've stayed long enough to see that. I pretty much had to flee, or I was going to loose it in the theater, right when the first explosion happened at the party and they ran out onto the balcony . . . that's when Fitz ran out of the theater! :lol:

I don't understand motion sickness, especially the part where you can get it without actually being in motion. I know it's real and all, I just can't imagine it. I fall asleep on any moving vehicle I'm not driving, plus water beds.

Yeah never had that problem with movies, I usually don't even notice whether a handheld is being used unless the shaking is really pronounced..

Zodiac

I'd read only a little about the real case but it was interesting enough to make me want to watch this. Turned out to be a great movie and made me want to learn more about the real-life Zodiac events. It's amazing that they never caught the guy, with the eventual amount of info that they had to profile him as well as his obvious ego...

The Descent

Pretty good survival horror film, though I felt that once the monsters made their first appearance there were too many cheap "boo! moments. The first part of the movie gave the impression that it could have been much better than it turned out to be, in fact for a while there I thought it might be a classic. It was still pretty good though, and I liked that they went with an all girl cast so there was no temptation to throw in some token romantic side-story as a minor distraction while they were running around trying to avoid being eaten.

ExistenZ

This was okay, the concept was great but the story wasn't interesting enough. By the time the twist came I just didn't care because everything up to that point hadn't been so good. Also the dialogue was pretty lame, intentionally in some places but I don't think that can be used as an excuse for pretty much the entire film. I think I'm being especially tough on it because I love the genre and had high hopes, also David Cronenberg is capable of producing great stuff even if he is a bit of a sicko..

I just showed eXistenZ to some friends. While not as good as its predecessor Videodrome, I still think it's a great (and prescient) look at gaming and how people get to deep into it the line between reality and fantasy is blurred. He also was pretty blunt about the sexuality inherent in these kind of endeavors.

While the dialogue and acting are at times stiff, isn't the whole point that they're in a game? Which would make things a bit programed? It may seem like an excuse but to me it totally felt intentionally stylized like that to put you off-balance.

RockNRolla - VERY fuking disappointed with this one! while I thought Toby Kebbell stole the movie more than any of the others - this is so shit compared to Lock Stock and Snatch (2 movies I always rate 9 outta 10 because the cast are so fuking good!) - but this one had a shit cast, shit! Im givin 5 outta 10. too much loose plot. dumb areas. stupid. trying old format YEARS later and it not working this time. jaysus Guy. :down:

Sleepwalking - ahh alright I guess - 5 outta 10

Death Race - fuking bollox so 3 outta 10.

Phonebooth last night - 6 outta 10, 6 for Colin's great acting, but so many times this movie has laughable scenes and esp when it comes to the Sniper and things you feel he aint noticing, etc. people debate this Sniper scenerio so much, LOL!

I just showed eXistenZ to some friends. While not as good as its predecessor Videodrome, I still think it's a great (and prescient) look at gaming and how people get to deep into it the line between reality and fantasy is blurred. He also was pretty blunt about the sexuality inherent in these kind of endeavors.

While the dialogue and acting are at times stiff, isn't the whole point that they're in a game? Which would make things a bit programed? It may seem like an excuse but to me it totally felt intentionally stylized like that to put you off-balance.

Exactly.

When it's in something like Scanners, you can gripe about bad acting, but here, it's incredibly deliberate.

Also, I picked up the Criterion of Videodrome last week. Haven't watched it yet, but I cannot wait.

Yeah I accept that it was deliberate (at least in places) but I wonder if the movie would've been much better if the dialogue and acting had been spot on, taking the argument that the virtual worlds are completely immersive and true to life. Like you said it's one of the main themes so why not follow it to the extreme case.. As it is I think that the movie suffers when the characters seem unreal because you're less inclined to care about them, and when the story isn't really profound either there's not much left to fall back on.

As I said I'm being especially harsh because I had high expectations. From what I'd heard, the movie was going to be a major mind-fuck but it was a bit weak. Not terrible by any means though, I still found it kind of interesting..

And I still have to see Videodrome at some point..

Australia. 2/10

The 2 is exclusively for the pretty that is Hugh.

Terrible movie. I honestly feel like I wasted 17 hours of my life on this. It felt that long. Which probably makes sense given that it was something like 2 movies in one and could have happily ended halfway through. Nicole Kidman's acting was heinous. The green screen technology was so CHEAP that they should be ashamed of themselves. I swear you could see the outline around her arm in that once scene on the pier (where they took Nullah away). What's worse, the sound mixing was really bad to the point where I had to put the subtitles on because I couldn't understand what anybody was saying. And it isn't the accent either, as I've known plenty of Australians and never had any issue there.

Long, incredibly freaking boring. I expected some shmaltzy romance in the outback, but even that part was a) lame and b) nearly non-existent. I can't verbalize how awful I thought this movie was.

I have "I've Loved You So Long" here as well so I'll watch that this week and hopefully it will be a lot better.

seven

not nearly as fucked up as everyone said, but still fucked up. therefore i liked it. kevin spacey was right.

supertroopers

not nearly as funny as everyone said, but still funny. therefore i laughed. meow.

seven

not nearly as fucked up as everyone said, but still fucked up. therefore i liked it. kevin spacey was right.

:heart:

John Doe was a great character. It would be cool to see a prequel that shows how he got to be so jaded.. If it was done really well, that is. Big shoes to fill..

:heart:

John Doe was a great character. It would be cool to see a prequel that shows how he got to be so jaded.. If it was done really well, that is. Big shoes to fill..

That wouldn't take all of the intrigue away or anything.

would anyone know the following movie Im talking about?

something along the lines of Romanze Criminalz or Italiano Criminalz (Google is NO help with this). but its prob a recent Italian Crime movie, wondering if its good?

Ive lost it.

would anyone know the following movie Im talking about?

something along the lines of Romanze Criminalz or Italiano Criminalz (Google is NO help with this). but its prob a recent Italian Crime movie, wondering if its good?

Ive lost it.

On IMDB, I found a movie from 2005 called Romanzo Criminale a.k.a Crime Novel. That's probably it, right? I don't know if it's any good, though.

Romanzo criminale (2005)

crime-novel-romanzo-criminale-poster-0.jpg

I've Loved You So Long. First 90% of movie = 8/10. Last 10% = 5/10.

I know everybody talks about Kristin Scott Thomas, and yeah, she was good here. But I think she's almost always decent in things I've seen, even movies I didn't like like Random Hearts. The woman who played Lea, was in my view, perfectly cast. She was just naive enough and happy enough and avoidant enough to pull off that role.

The movie also made me really miss France, from the crazy dinners to the cafes filled with smoke, to the sun hitting the old buildings. Everything about it was just so genuine.

The ending was plain dumb. I mean, maybe if we'd known more of the backstory it would have made some sense. But the way they presented it did not suggest that Juliette has such a poor and distant relationship with her family that she would have kept this sort of thing from them when the boy (Pierre?) was still alive. And her explanation made no sense either. I almost feel like they wrote the script to that point and then they had to find a resolution so they crapped one out and hoped nobody would notice.

Ghost Town

A little maudlin for a comedy, but it had some chuckle-worthy moments. I liked Tea Leoni in this - she's often hit or miss for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom