Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Notebook

I never thought I would, but I've been getting into the romance-y type movies these past few month. Who would've thought it possible? :shrug:

Completely predictable? Absolutely. Fun and entertaining? Absolutely. And Rachel McAdams' performance really buttressed the whole movie and saved it from being schlocky. She's pretty great in everything I see her.

I just got back from Adventureland. I went in expecting to really, really like this movie, so of course I was ready to be disappointed...turns out I wasn't. Probably not the best movie ever made, but there was a lot about it that I, personally, just adored. Though, I admit, the soundtrack might've been better than the movie itself.

I saw that last week and I could even give it a 6.
The critics are giving this very good reviews.
Don't believe the hype.

Adventureland

I loved it. It wasn't as non-stop funny as Superbad. It was more bittersweet and much darker, but I thought just as nostalgic. I could totally identify with this film. It might as well have been set in a Walgreen's/CVS type drugstore and been my first job out of high school.

And I'm no fan of Kristen Stewart, but I think this is the best acting I've seen her do in a film -- not that it was great acting, just her personal best.

And the soundtrack was just :drool: Oh, it was so my childhood! That perfect 80's alternative soundtrack. Gems from Replacements, Husker Du, Cure, Lou Reed, etc. Just great. :applaud:

Hannah Montana: The Movie

I didn't actually go see it but I'm giving it a 9.8 out of 10 on general principle.

Yes Man

You know, this was better than I was expecting. Not that it's a masterpiece or anything, and it's pretty much the same movie as Liar, Liar but with Zooey. There were a few good laughs in it and was a pretty charming movie.

Adventureland

I loved it. It wasn't as non-stop funny as Superbad. It was more bittersweet and much darker, but I thought just as nostalgic. I could totally identify with this film. It might as well have been set in a Walgreen's/CVS type drugstore and been my first job out of high school.

And I'm no fan of Kristen Stewart, but I think this is the best acting I've seen her do in a film -- not that it was great acting, just her personal best.

And the soundtrack was just :drool: Oh, it was so my childhood! That perfect 80's alternative soundtrack. Gems from Replacements, Husker Du, Cure, Lou Reed, etc. Just great. :applaud:

I'm so glad it wasn't laugh out loud funny. The most irritating thing was seeing it in a theater of people who expected it to be, and who kept laughing at things that weren't really that funny, just because they thought they should be or something.

Doubt

This was a movie I felt like I should see, but didn't necessarily want to see (see also The Reader, which I'll be watching later this week).

I liked it more than I was expecting to. I hadn't heard much about Meryl Streep's character, just that Meryl Streep, acting godess, Oscar blah blah blah blah. Man, she was good.

I haven't seen Doubt, and you're right in that it definitely seems like one of those pedigree films that looks like homework you don't want to do.

But I caught The Reader at the $2 theatre and was pleasantly surprised, although I'd read some positive reviews that had me a little optimistic. It's not a fantastic film, and I'm not saying it deserved all those Oscar noms, but it was very good. Winslet was great, and although she was probably better in Rev Road, it's not as cut-and-dried as DiCaprio getting wrongfully nommed for Blood Diamond over The Departed.

Ralph Fiennes did great work as well. And what I liked about the thing most of all was the moral ambiguity of the characters actions, or more to the point, their inactions and refusal to explain themselves or their motivations. It's not cliche thematics by any stretch.

I read The Reader a handful of years ago and really, really did not like it. So when I heard it was being made into a movie, I was all ".... PASS."

But I love Kate Winslet, and then it was nominated a slew of times, so all right *sigh* I guess I'll watch it.

I'm anticipating liking it more than I did the book.

Alice was a pretty solid Woody comedy/drama. Aside from Broadway Danny Rose, it probably has Mia Farrow's best performance in a Woody film, at least of the ones I've seen. It's a Woody movie, so you know what to expect in terms of dialogue, pacing, and the unpredictability of the plot, which make his films so refreshing. It reminded me a lot of Kate Chopin's The Awakening, almost as if it were a modern interpretation: a woman takes a hold of her seemingly meaningless life through self-exploration by means of artistic and sexual triumphs. So there's that.

The best part of the movie for me though was Alec Baldwin's small role as Farrow's "ghost" ex-lover.

Pretty solid overall, but not one I'd revisit anytime soon though.

Yeah, it's decent. A real overlooked gem is Another Woman, which is one of Woody's few straight-up dramas. It's a little Bergmanesque but not as blatantly pretentious as Interiors. I just watched it for the first time in like 15 years (when I devoured all of his films) and it really impressed me. I'm talking Top 10 Woody material, and considering the competition that's saying something.

And for the record:

1. Stardust Memories
2. Annie Hall
3. Crimes & Misdemeanors
4. Manhattan
5. Everyone Says I Love You
6. The Purple Rose of Cairo
7. Hannah and Her Sisters
8. Manhattan Murder Mystery
9. Sleeper
10. Another Woman

Still need to see stuff like Interiors, Husbands and Wives, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Sweet and Lowdown, and Another Woman, but here's where I stand now, too:

1. Annie Hall
2. Crimes and Misdemeanors
3. Hannah and Her Sisters
4. Manhattan
5. Love and Death
6. Deconstructing Harry
7. Sleeper
8. Stardust Memories (Now that I've seen 8 1/2, this is due for a re-watch)
9. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (Maybe overrating it, but that's alright)
10. The Purple Rose of Cairo

Hon Mentions: Zelig, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex..., Match Point

Didn't think you'd rank Everyone Says I Love You so highly. I really enjoyed it, too. Probably one of the most A-list casts he's ever put together as well. The only two that I didn't really like were Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy and Scoop.

I'm gonna finish catching up on the Evil Dead movies soon and then watch a burst of Woody stuff again. Pretty much the ones I mentioned above.

Everyone Says I Love You isn't one of his funniest comedies, but I just love that he tried something different, and looked for good actors instead of singers. Tom Roth is fucking HILARIOUS. Also, that finale on the bank of the Seine is what puts this over the top for me. Absolute movie magic.

I seem to be the only person who thought Scoop was funny. I think it may be ScarJo's best work. She nailed the Woodyisms, and I thought they made a great comedic duo. Plus, Ian McShane.

Everyone Says I Love You isn't one of his funniest comedies, but I just love that he tried something different, and looked for good actors instead of singers. Tom Roth is fucking HILARIOUS. Also, that finale on the bank of the Seine is what puts this over the top for me. Absolute movie magic.

I seem to be the only person who thought Scoop was funny. I think it may be ScarJo's best work. She nailed the Woodyisms, and I thought they made a great comedic duo. Plus, Ian McShane.

And it's a great throwback to older movie musicals, too. Definitely agree with Roth as the convict, I loved his subplot with Drew Barrymore's character where he ended up leaving her in the middle of the woods.

Most of the jokes in Scoop just fell flat for me. I was expecting more out of it more than anything, I guess. ScarJo's best for me was in Vicky Cristina, especially playing off of Penelope Cruz. It was The Lady Friend's first Woody movie until Annie Hall, and I'd really like to think she prefers the latter.

The one he's got brewing with Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, Naomi Watts, and Nicole Kidman looks great on paper so far.

Transporter 3 - 4 outta 10 - yes it was utter crap, and Jason Statham is fast becoming a UK version of Keanu in these movies and Crank - *sigh* - but at least a quarter of the movie had me very entertained, the action scenes.

Body of Lies - 4 outta 10, I ended up skipping through about an hour of this as it went on and on and was too long, I love Leo, LOVE him, and Russell was good in this, but not my style I guess. Yea, I just lifted it, didnt read what it was about. :happy:

Elegy - 8 outta 10, now maybe some of you have seen this and thought it was crap? I enjoyed it, Ben and Penelope seemed great together, esp the love scenes. wow, just wow! nice touch from Dennis Hopper too, movie seemed better than I imagined.
its been classed as a boring movie, but not to me it wasn't. sure, at times the plot coulda picked up but really the interaction between the two main - :up: Liked it!

Elegy - 8 outta 10, now maybe some of you have seen this and thought it was crap? I enjoyed it, Ben and Penelope seemed great together, esp the love scenes. wow, just wow! nice touch from Dennis Hopper too, movie seemed better than I imagined.
its been classed as a boring movie, but not to me it wasn't. sure, at times the plot coulda picked up but really the interaction between the two main - :up: Liked it!

I liked it, too - everyone else I know who saw it hated it. I thought Ben Kingsley was amazing - and I don't even like him much. And yes, nice bit from Hopper and the nearly unrecognizable Deborah Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom