Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #841
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:10 PM
You know what, I caught Land of the Lost at the dollar theater today and had fun with it. It opens with the '70s/'80s Universal logo, just like Drag Me to Hell did earlier this summer, and that's a big indicator of the tone of the rest of the film. It's a $100 million dollar B-movie, but with Ferrell, McBride, and Jorma from the Lonely Island riffing throughout most of the movie. There's a particular sequence that's in the trailer where Ferrell and the gang are running from dinosaurs and it's all hand-held that I really dug (and enjoyed in Cloverfield, too). It's fun, crude, doesn't take itself too seriously, but you can tell that everyone involved cared about what they were making, you know?

I can see where it failed (Ferrell oversaturation, looking too "kiddie"-like, etc...) but it's definitely something that'll catch your attention on cable a few years from now. Glad I didn't see it first run, but in a weak summer for comedies, it didn't fare too badly.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #842
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:10 AM
With the $$$ they spent to produce and market that film, it needed to be a whole hell of a lot better than a B movie.

And, am I the only person who never, ever finds McBride funny?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #843
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
With the $$$ they spent to produce and market that film, it needed to be a whole hell of a lot better than a B movie.

Oh, most definitely. I can't believe how anyone thought it would be a huge enough hit to justify that budget. Part of the problem was that it was mis-marketed, too, but not even that would've solved much of the problem. According to Box Office Mojo, Journey to the Center of the Earth only cost $60 million.

Probably not.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #844
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 AM
Doubt

Great performances; Adams and Streep are great, but I will see any movie with Hoffman.
8/10
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #846
Blue Crack Addict

Whatever Works - Wow, that was just awful. Patricia Clarkson almost saves it but not quite.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #847
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Twilight.

Yep, I actually bothered to see this movie. I wanted to see what the big deal was, since I know some people who adore the books and the movie.

All I can say is this movie is cheeeeeesy! Beyond cheesy! I don't know what words to use to describe how crappy it is. Stupid dialogue and lines ("You're like heroin to me"), ridiculous storyline, and the list goes on.

I thought it was so bad, I turned the movie off halfway. I turned it off during the scene where whats-his-name tells Bella that she's his "heroin" and she says, "Oh, I trust you!" and tries to kiss him. I felt like gagging watching that scene. Yeah, I know its just a movie and blah blah blah. But get real here! You know someone is vampire, is killing people all over town, is telling you he wants to suck your blood, and you're willing to love him?!

Cheese. Pure cheese.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #848
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Whatever Works - Wow, that was just awful. Patricia Clarkson almost saves it but not quite.
It's not one of Woody's better comedies, but I couldn't help but laugh whenever Larry David yelled at children.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #849
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:10 PM
This week I've seen -

Harry Potter (far better than expected, better than the others and no, it was never going to be the book. None of them are. But still - as a film, it worked. And the opening scene in London was absolutely stunning.)

Coraline (A film of two halves - the first bit really rather bland, the second 'scary' half absolutely terrifying. This is a kids film?! What the hell?! Wasn't as cohesive as The Nightmare Before Christmas and the soundtrack sucked. But a brilliant premise and the terrifying scenes with the 'other' mother made all the worse for being in 3D. Bravo.)
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #850
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Coraline kicked into gear as soon as she went into the Other World for the first time. Hard to compare it to Nightmare, but it was still really effective.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #851
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

I was so ridiculously bored before that - felt the dialogue lacking something, and the rest of it a tad too bland. I don't think it got truly interesting until her return to the real world and realising her parents were missing. And there was no point to the stupid neighbours at all (as much as I love French and Saunders doing the voiceovers.)
Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #852
Blue Crack Addict

Coraline was pretty "meh" for me. Sure the other world was considerably more colorful and 'exciting', but I found everything about it pretty stale just the same. I'm not sure I've seen a less interesting story all year actually, at least in concept. I actually find the 'real world' stuff more satisfying ultimately, if only because it's refreshing to see something more natural explored in stop motion for a change. Of course I'm not really a fan of stop-motion to begin with, so there's that too.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Visually, Coraline was amazing.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #854
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
I cannot wait to see

Fragments and The Lucky Ones

Im in the middle of watching Watching the Detectives, Marley and Me (yes, really), The Burning Plain, and some other movie with Rachael Evan Woods.

usually I get movies with my fav actor / actress in them.

ah well.

LOL!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:10 AM
Friday the 13th (the new one) - Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Gran Torino - good for the most part. Some really bad acting in places, though. But it's made up for by one of the other actors' usage of "honky."