Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #781
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Looks like I'm waiting till tuesday to catch PE now. Though I guess I'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything any more. Which is fine. Did you catch the filmspotting review?
Just finished listening to it. My expectations weren't as high as theirs were though.

Definitely agreed with them on the narrow focus of the film and their evaluations of the performances, namely Depp and Bale. Some of the problems I have with the film would be boosted with stronger performances from those two, or different actors in the roles altogether. I don't know.

I absolutely loved the digital photography though. It works perfectly in the more intimate character moments and certainly with the action scenes, too. It's awesome in its displays of clarity and raw emotion, in any context, really. More of a docu-style than anything else, and that worked to great effect.

The problem is that the pay-offs are few and far in-between.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #782
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Public Enemies.

I don't wanna say MEH, but this wasn't one of Mann's better films.
Cotillard blows him out of the water, a fantastic supporting turn
Have to agree. I saw it the other night and it didn't really fully draw me in until well into the second half. It looked good, it sounded good, but there was something missing. I was reminded of the almost constant tension that was present in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robben Ford, for example, and how this film lacked that but for a few exceptional scenes. Cotillard was wonderful.

Two Lovers - This played at our local art house for about a week and I missed it but figured it wasn't all that good since I had heard virtually nothing about it and it didn't stick around long. But wow, I thought it was really great. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic - actually, the whole cast was. I recognized aspects of these damaged, lonely but basically good characters in a lot of people I've known over the years. Really smart and well done.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #783
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Have to agree. I saw it the other night and it didn't really fully draw me in until well into the second half. It looked good, it sounded good, but there was something missing. I was reminded of the almost constant tension that was present in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robben Ford, for example, and how this film lacked that but for a few exceptional scenes. Cotillard was wonderful.
Good comparison; both films where the visuals take priority over your standard exposition, and served well by their particular brand of photography. But there's a world of difference in the overall effect.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #784
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I also thought of Jesse James, that it was a much better picture.
However, this, with Depp, very well may do more box office.

This film was ok, but Depp's Derringer was too much of a romantic and not very menacing.
Cotillard was good, but underused for anyone that saw La Vie En Rose.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #785
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Tetro:

Fucking amazing. Best of the year. A mess, but a glorious one.
not quite amazing for me, but still very good

the last 15 minutes, were over dramatic, a bit much.

the strong points, casting, the 3 leads are great

Maribel Verdú from 'Y tu mamá también' is always great to look at and she can act too

Alden Ehrenreich reminded me of a young Leo Dicaprio

Vincent Gallo interesting looking leading man, great in Buffalo 66, has he been in anything else worth watching?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #786
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Just catching up...

Transformers 2 Well, not much to add, as there are only so many different ways to say "it's crap". Aside from the usual complaints about it, I just didn't like any of the human characters. Whatshishame LeButt bugs me anyway, his 2 doofus accomplices, his parents (please keep attempts at corny humor away from action movies, please)...basically if you cut out all the people and left in the transformers it would have been OK. I didn't even mind the 2 ghettobots, comparatively speaking; they're about 73rd on my list of complaints.

The Haunting in Connecticut More suckage. Not scary, and it didn't help that I grew up 5 minutes from the supposed haunted house and never heard a peep about it being haunted. Plus the whole "dead bodies never properly laid to rest haunting" reminded me a lot of Poltergeist; maybe they caught Poltergeist on HBO and copied it? The timing would be right. The trailer was scarier than the actual movie. Plus the amplified creaking was a bit much, gave the whole thing a very Signs/Village feel to it.

Dolan's Cadillac I'm a huge Stephen King fan, and I had no idea this had been made into a movie (featuring Christian Slater no less, as Jimmy Dolan). I loved the story, the movie not so much. It was OK, but Slater's portrayal of Dolan kind of ruined it. Dolan in the story is always a menacing figure; Slater's Dolan was a bit goofy, more wingnut than hardcase. But it was better than Haunting and Transformers at least.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #787
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

Vincent Gallo interesting looking leading man, great in Buffalo 66, has he been in anything else worth watching?
I just looked up his filmography because he's so familiar to me but the only thing I remembered seeing on that list was The House of Spirits. That's one of those movies I feel like I shouldn't like but every time it's on TV I watch it again, and he's great in that. He was also in The Funeral with Christopher Walken and The Perez Family, both of which I must have seen when they first came out but I just don't remember them. I feel like I must have seen Gallo in more than that, though.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #788
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:29 AM
The part I enjoyed in Public Enemies was the theatre scene at the end. When he's walking through the crowd in slow motion and the music is slowly building up
Old 07-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #789
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:29 AM
I watched a whole load of movies on my flights from Paris to Dubai to Singapore to Melbourne:

All About Eve
I must get this on DVD soon. What a classic of a film Great script, great cast and amazing performance by Bette Davis.

Marley & Me
My Mum watched this at the cinema and keeps citing it as the single worst film she's ever seen. So I watched it out of curiosity and I can't really see what caused this extreme reaction - I thought it was merely average. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, but I admit to getting a bit teary at the end - probably because our own cat is getting old.

The Wrestler
I thought the story was pretty standard, but as a character piece it was amazing. As was Mickey Rourke’s performance.

Twilight
Never read the books but thought the film was pretty watchable. The girl who played Bella irritated me a bit though. There's a difference between a) playing a character who is awkward and unsure and b) giving an awkward and unsure performance, and I think she fell more into the camp b.

The Dark Knight
Held up extremely well on the repeated viewing despite the tiny screen. And the plot actually made more sense second time around.

Valkyrie
Pretty solid war thriller that managed to be tense and gripping despite the fact that I knew the outcome. And to Tom Cruise's credit, I didn't once think of couches, Scientology or Katie Holmes during the movie,

Bringing Up Baby
Yeah I can see why this film is always mentioned as one of the greatest screwball comedies. I can't say I loved it but I can admire the skill it's put together with.

Working Girl
I knew that it was made in the 80s but when I saw Joan Cusack's hairdo in the opening scenes my face went like this The hair, the shoulder pads... holy crap! I really liked the movie though. Sigourney Weaver
Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #790
Blue Crack Distributor

I cannot stand Melanie Griffith, but do quite enjoy Working Girl.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #791
Blue Crack Addict

I watched Miami Vice today, and loved it. I wasn't expecting to because I'd heard it was too long and simply not so great. It was visually magnificent, and the story pleasantly surprised me. And Colin Farrell's hair/facial hair was magnificent. But seriously, it made me want more. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen (though I may be wrong as I haven't the patience to look to see if there will be a sequel anywhere).

Only one thing made me stumble in my suspension of disbelief, but that's a bit of a racial stereotype and probably offensive... but when I look around at the usual suspects in here, I don't feel so bad about saying it: Gong Li's performance in the sex scene made me question the authenticity of it--because, I mean, aren't all Asian women loud in bed?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #792
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Two Lovers - This played at our local art house for about a week and I missed it but figured it wasn't all that good since I had heard virtually nothing about it and it didn't stick around long. But wow, I thought it was really great. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic - actually, the whole cast was. I recognized aspects of these damaged, lonely but basically good characters in a lot of people I've known over the years. Really smart and well done.
Just caught this tonight and I've gotta agree. Probably the best I've seen both Phoenix and Paltrow do. It's a simple story that hits all of the little things and does it beautifully.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #793
Blue Crack Addict

Miami Vice is a masterpiece.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #794
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Okay, so I watched

The Wackness – enjoyed this wee one, so 8 outta 10. it’s a bit like watching a cartoon in reverse, but on the whole I loved it and as usual Ben Kingsley was fantastic.

Rachael Got Married – 8 outta 10, this movie was a bit too long for the content, but Amy was great to watch, she really was, very promising young actress.

New To Town – OMG seriously, could there be anyone hotter in this movie than Harry Connick Jnr with unshaven face! (OMG OMG OH MY GAAAAAAWD! ..). this movie was just okay, Im rating 6 outta 10, Renee can play cute but really when it comes to cute she rocked in Bridget Jones. This movie did lack a lot.

Revolutionary Road – I wont lie, I put it on and loved seeing Kate and Leo back together, older and all, and how come Leo always looks so bloody young! Like, 29! LOL! But after a half hour turned vol down and even left house to do a message, coming back to the last 6 mins of it left. LOL! :hide:

So yeah, good one.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #795
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
1. The Insider
2. Heat
3. Miami Vice
4. Collateral
5. Thief
6. Ali
7. Manhunter
8. Last of the Mohicans
For the record, I looked back on this and wondered what I was thinking. Maybe because I had just rewatched those first two again recently... but this is the real deal:

1. Miami Vice
2. The Insider
3. Heat
4. Collateral
5. Ali
6. Manhunter
7. Thief
8. Last of the Mohicans