Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rachel Getting Married. 7.5/10

Didn't blow me away. Anne Hathaway was fantastic, and there were some great scenes, but this isn't a movie that is haunting me after I've seen it. I didn't find the camera work irritating, but I did feel that way about the sound editing. At some points, I couldn't hear the dialogue at all.

City of God. 9.5/10

Not the first time I've seen it, but it's still so fantastic. Great work in every respect, and it kind of made me want to see City of Men, although I know that the reviews for that one have not been as good. Regardless, City of God is one of those movies that I think most people miss, much to their detriment. It's just fabulous, and so difficult to watch at points.

I saw The Visitor tonight.

I gave it a better rating; 7/10.
I really liked the performances and the story line was very good. Simple, yet satisfying.

American Teen

I was surprised how invested I was in all of the teenagers' lives in this one. I forgot I was watching a documentary after a while.

Really, really well done.

I watched it with actual teenagers.

They said it was pretty much one of the most inaccurate representations of what high school is really like that they've ever seen, but I liked it.

:lol:

I did some research on the girl who moved to SF after graduation. She changed her mind about California and is now apparently in film school in NYC.

Yeah, they had very brief little updates from the teens during the closing credits, and she said she was more of an east coast gal. :)

I was surprised that the two most emotional moments for me involved the mean/popular girl. She had a heartbreaking "twist" to her story.

If you're talking about this:

red_ver2.jpg

You'd probably want to watch Blue first, as well as White.

Red is the third film in the trilogy. And as the poster says, a masterpiece.

It's really not that reliant on the other films and could be watched successfully on its own, but yeah it's still probably a good idea to check out the others first or a number of things might lose some of their relevance.

Well right, there's not necessarily a through-line in terms of the plot, but the ending definitely loses resonance, and there are other scenes where characters from the other films pop up (most notably the courtroom stuff).

There's also the bit where Valentine helps the old woman with the recycling, which doesn't really hold much meaning out of context of the other films.

You know what's weird? I'm not sure if you're familiar with the post-Trois Coleurs trilogy that Kieslowski had planned with his writing partner Krystof Piesiewicz, loosely based on Dante's Divine Comedy, but all three films were eventually written and completed.

The first was Heaven (the only one Kieslowski fully developed) with Cate Blanchett, directed by Tom Tykwer. That didn't do well, so the follow-ups got very little attention. L'Enfer (Inferno) was made in 2005 by No Man's Land director Danis Tanovic, set in Paris and starring Emmanuel Beart. This one was written solely by Piesiewicz. It's not even available in the U.S. anymore, but I found it online and watched it last week. Not as powerful as Heaven but a VERY good film. Beart is fantastic as always (and absolutely beautiful). There's actually a scene with the old woman and the recycling bin in this one, which I thought was a nice nod to the master (yes, I buried the lead).

I just discovered that the final film Nadzieja (Hope, or Purgatory) was made in Kieslowski and Piesiewicz's home country of Poland in 2007 by a director I'm not familiar with. It was very hard to hunt down but I eventually found it on Peer-to-Peer. Haven't watched it yet.

/film school

I'm familiar with those films, but haven't seen any of them unfortunately. I'll be sure to check out Heaven at some point.

:lol:

hey the guy is good Neal!

Red is supposed to be Brian gettin revenge on the lad who shot his dog.

on another note I saw Gone Baby Gone and rate it 2 outta 10.

fuk sake, after all it was bollox, dumbish plot, no suspense, Casey Affleck is overrated with the 'great performance' sh*t all over the cover, and hey no surprise as the whole thing was directed by Ben Affleck.

:giggle:

:wink:

Apparently he has a significant role in the James Franco-led Allen Ginsburg movie coming out later this year. Cannot wait.

So I saw Hunger this afternoon, which was fucking raw as all get-out. Great though.

But most exciting was the trailer for Moon form the offspring of David Bowie. Holy shit that movie is going to rock

...well. *buhdoomtish*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom