Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #661
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Winner. Plus I see your problem with The Game, but I never had much of an issue with it. And it had one of the better uses of "White Rabbit" I've seen.

Happy birthday, by the way.
Totally cool, it's a pretty divisive ending, it seems. Indeed it does.

Thank ya, sir.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #662
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:37 AM
I love that ending, personally. It's so downbeat, yet says so much with so little. A nice wink.

Apparently there's a laserdisc or import DVD that has a Fincher commentary. NEED TO GET.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #663
Blue Crack Distributor

Badlands

I was annoyed with Sissy Spacek so much at first (Gee, your man kills your daddy and all you can do is look ... exactly like you've looked and acted through the movie so far?) I almost stopped watching it.

Then it got really good.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #664
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:37 AM
The Princess Bride

I haven't seen this movie in a long time. Classic.
Inigo Montoya ..............prepare to die.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #665
Blue Crack Addict

Valentino - Very entertaining.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 AM   #666
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Drag Me To Hell

I'm really baffled. I mean, I knew I probably wouldn't like this to begin with, as I have a fundamental distain for 90% of horror films made, and aren't even a big fan of the Evil Dead films. But jesus christ, I can't for the life of me begin to understand how this is 93% fresh on RT, let alone how so many people seem to not just like the movie, but fucking LOVE it. Seriously? WTF?

Firstly, the movie fails to scare, the most basic foundation of the genre, it's shit. Nothing but one cheap, telegraphed obnoxiously loud jump scare after another. Raimi made one 10 minute sequence that begins at normal volume, creeps to silence, with exactly one camera set-up and movement, then explodes with painfully loud... loudness. Really that's all it is. One of the worst perpetrators of jump scares I've ever seen, and it was wholly unenjoyable. No suspense, no growing sense of fear or impending dread, just aural shocks. How this passes for entertainment is a fucking mystery on the level of extra-terrestrial life and how people think dominoes pizza is tastey.

So, OK, I can almost accept the movie isn't scary, or suspenseful or even all that gross/horrific (if there was ever a defense against the use of CGI, this film is a likely frontrunner), because I was also promised comedy. I'll even admit the Evil Dead movies are funny. This one isn't. Ever. Strike that, the kitten poster in the girl's room was funny. Kudos to the production designer then. I guess a corpse vomiting embalming fluid is comical? It sure as hell isn't scary or creepy, so maybe that's the point? Again, I'm really at a loss here. The only bright spot here was seeing Alison Lohman writhing around in the mud near the end. Hot.

But yeah, lesson learned. I should just avoid movies I expect to dislike. But fuck me, there's seriously nothing decent in theaters this week. I was desperate, and I never expected anything nearly this awful.

The worst thing I've seen this year. 1/10
Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #667
Blue Crack Supplier

The last horror film I remember that actually SCARED me was the American remake of The Ring. They're all about cheap thrills or carving up people (Saw, Hostel, etc.), and have completely lost any sense of true atmospherics. The days of something as sophisticated as Carpenter, let alone Cronenberg, are long gone.

At least in this country. There's some great stuff from Asia, and of course Let The Right One has a more old-fashioned feel to it.

BTW, I wouldn't see Drag Me To Hell if you paid for it and gave me $5 spending money.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #668
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, for all the Asian cinema I try to watch, I'm still pretty light on their horror products, aside from a few particulars (which are already leagues ahead of their American counterparts). My current expectations for the genre as so low, that I don't even require the films scare me, like I said. It's enough if they're just mildly entertaining shlock (thinking something like Jeepers Creepers or 28 Weeks Later and the like). Even The Decent, which I also hated, had its entertaining stretches.

Drag Me To Hell... not even that. It's the anti-fun, the only feeling I came away with being actual physical pain, from the unrelenting jump tactics and unbearable loudness.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #669
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
But fuck me, there's seriously nothing decent in theaters this week.
If you didn't hate laughter so much, I'd tell you to see The Hangover. No, it's probably not yr cup of tea and yes, it's going to get beaten into the ground over the next year, but you might as well see it before it is quoted to hell. It's fairly obvious that if you got even one good laugh out of it, it'd be more worth yr money than Drag Me to Hell.

Did any of you cocks see Baghead? It's probably the only good "horror" movie I've seen in a long time, but the term doesn't even really apply.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #670
Blue Crack Addict

You're probably right imp. Really, any shitty movie I could have seen last night would have been more worth my money than Drag Me To Hell. I even wish I had seen Pelham 1 2 3 instead. Next week looks equally dire for my theaters, so maybe I'll see The Hangover anyway, even though it looks like the exact same movie that's been made 1000 times alreadyl
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #671
Blue Crack Supplier

I saw The Hangover at the $3 theatre today. Very funny at times, but I can't say I was laughing all the way through. Not even in the same ballpark as Old School, frankly.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #672
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not even in the same ballpark as Old School, frankly.

Uhh, I consider that a good thing since, aside from 2 or 3 great Will Ferrell parts, Old School was decidedly unfunny.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #673
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Curious Case of Benjamin – I cannot rate this movie. At times I found it weird. At times I found it touching. I find it funny that some people used to say things like ‘wouldn’t it be great to be born old and die young’ – and then this movie came out thou it’s been in talks for a LONG time. Parts of it were a bit funny in a dumb sense. The only real best thing about this movie was the wonderful Cate Blanchett, her make-up and her hair – she looked so flawless I was gobsmacked. Classic beauty that woman is. And the wonderful Tilda.

He’s Just Not That Into You – this movie seemed like nothing – my mate said it made us girls look desperate. I agree BUT it kinda borders on the tradition of waiting for a guy to call first, well it used to be like that (I remember that in the past, LOL!). This is also a movie that Jennifer Connelly got heavily spat at verbally for looking too thin due to weight-loss on parent death, she is doing better now and I still think she is a lovely actress. Anyhow, this movie lacks LOADS of plot, it felt more like within five mins DiDi and that guy got together. And then the fooking usual of a married man finally giving into temptation to cheat on wife blah blah. Yes Scarlett is extremely beautiful, very sensual lips, etc. Drew Barrymore’s character seemed pointless, in fact a lot of this movie seemed very pointless, too many cast and little time. Ugh, jaysus, actually, I say no more. 1 outta 10.

Slumdog Millionaire – to be honest folks, I watched about half this movie, got bored and turned it off.

Vicky Christina Barcelona – hmm, dunno what to say, Javier is hot as usual, I loved the hot scenes between him and Scarlett. But on the whole this movie looked and sounded better than it actually was (again that’s Trailers for you), Penelope is hot and beautiful – I prefer her. But I don’t know, the whole girl-kissing/threesome love triangle thing did not work well, esp so late on in the movie. I dunno, Woody Allen failed on this one. 4 outta 10.

bye!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #674
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Your brigade against everything continues.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #675
Blue Crack Supplier

No description of how hot Frieda Pinto was in Slumdog?

Consistency, woman!