Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #631
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Acting hardly even matters in Kubrick's films though. He's much more interested in just getting his actor's to behave exactly the way he wants within the frame and to be "interesting."

And Kubrick was really one of the few people in the industry who truly understood how to adapt something to the cinema. In most cases a novel or whatever should be altered and creatively build upon/stripped down and reimagined for the screen. Novels and feature length films don't share all that much in common, and are wildly different media. Not to say faithful adaptation haven't been made and resulted in good films, but they're almost inviting fundamental flaws into their form and unfavorable comparisons to their source *coughwatchmengrumble*
Which is why Lolita's so fucking awesome. Well, that and James Mason.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #632
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:42 PM
I don't find Lolita to be a good adaptation OR a good re-imagining of the material. I see Peter Sellers getting free reign to be a jackass, which is entertaining at times but seems like he's in a completely different film than Mason (who I agree is fantastic).

The Adrian Lyne version may be too faithful, and missing some of the source material's black humor, but it moved me, something Kubrick completely failed to do. Not that he usually does anyway, but there's not a whole lot of empathy or tragedy in the film, just a lame bit of farce.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #633
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Just finished Benji Button. I understand the Gump comparisons, but I liked it considerably more.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #634
Blue Crack Addict

Gump was a terrible exploitative movie.

Button was an interesting bit of movie making.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #635
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Saw UP, great movie...beginning is really sad
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #636
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance's take on deep thoughts View Post
Gump was a light and mildly amusing movie.

Button was an overly-long bit of intermittently inspired dullness.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #637
Blue Crack Supplier

That you give these films anywhere near the same credit is a FAIL beyond epic proportions. Fincher may not be Malick but he sure as hell isn't Zemeckis.

Please turn in your cinema cred card on the way out.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #638
Blue Crack Addict

You've said that like three times now for my opinions on these two films, and as long as people keep comparing them, I'll keep doing the same, and you'll keep shitting on me for it, and I'll keep not giving a shit.

That you so vehemently hold that Ben Button is worth even a second glance is perhaps equally laughable.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #639
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

"I'll never join you!"
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #640
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
That you so vehemently hold that Ben Button is worth even a second glance is perhaps equally laughable.
Not really. Forrest Gump, is a complete joke within the critical community. Button, on the other hand, is much more divisive in those quarters, with indifference from some and scorn from others, but also some very heavy praise. I'd post links from some very credible writers in defense of the film, people you wouldn't even expect to like it, but I imagine you probably don't care.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #641
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
"I'll never join you!"
He's just mad because he wanted to go to Toshi station to pick up some power converters.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #642
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not really. Forrest Gump, is a complete joke within the critical community. Button, on the other hand, is much more divisive in those quarters, with indifference from some and scorn from others, but also some very heavy praise. I'd post links from some very credible writers in defense of the film, people you wouldn't even expect to like it, but I imagine you probably don't care.
I also imagine the vast majority of the critics fell in that first category, much like myself... somewhere between indifference and tepid enthusiasm. I'm with you that the authorial comparison is ludicrous, Fincher is much more of a filmmaker than Zemeckis ever was, but we're comparing a typically lousy film with enough memorable moments to burrow its way quickly into the pop culture lexicon to what's most likely "minor Fincher". For better or worse Gump is something that won't be soon forgotten. However, I seriously doubt most people are going to be talking much about Benjamin Button 15 years from now in any context.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #643
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I also imagine the vast majority of the critics fell in that first category, much like myself... somewhere between indifference and tepid enthusiasm. I'm with you that the authorial comparison is ludicrous, Fincher is much more of a filmmaker than Zemeckis ever was, but we're comparing a typically lousy film with enough memorable moments to burrow its way quickly into the pop culture lexicon, and for better or worse is something that won't be soon forgotten. However, I seriously doubt most people are going to be talking much about Benjamin Button 15 years from now in any context.
It'll be remembered for its special effects, which ironically is more of a Zemeckis staple than anything else.

Hell, watching the docs on the Roger Rabbit DVD made me have even more respect for that film, at least.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #644
Blue Crack Addict

You're right, though it's likely going to be just one more footnote in the "Fincher as meticulous digital technician" chapter of film history. I doubt it will stand out in his own oeuvre (among otherwise superior films) even if its visual effects are the most advanced (until his next film, surely).
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #645
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You're right, though it's likely going to be just one more footnote in the "Fincher as meticulous digital technician" chapter of film history. I doubt it will stand out in his own oeuvre (among otherwise superior films) even if its visual effects are the most advanced (until his next film, surely).
It'll stand out if he dips back into the "crazy thriller" or "insanely dark comedy" pool again, since it's his stab at a romantic epic. Who knows, maybe his chef comedy with Keanu Reeves will be something good...