Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #556
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 AM
No, it's not out yet. But I'm now thinking it's probably not going to solve any of the film's real problems. I'm not sure if you'll agree with this, but despite what's wrong with the film, its best moments surpass ANYTHING in Raimi's films.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #557
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Not, I probably don't. But without looking way back to the Watchmen discussions, I'm curious which moments in particular worked best for you.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #558
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, the opening credits, for one. Manhattan on Mars reviewing his life story, and the later scene with Laurie. Rorschach's capture and prison sequence, including Rorschach finding the child murderer.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #559
Blue Crack Addict

I thought Rorschach's time in the prison was good, notably when the guys came to his cell to get revenge and he fucks them up good. However, his "chapter" was wholly disappointing since they removed all the bits with the psychologist after the first meeting, which I felt was really what gave that part of the novel its real substance.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #560
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree, there were definitely a lot of unfortunate omissions. But what WAS there was still well done.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I agree, there were definitely a lot of unfortunate omissions. But what WAS there was still well done.
Part of my interest in seeing the restored cut is hoping pieces like the psychologist would be put back in. As you said, it likely won't improve the film greatly, but it might heal some of the wounds.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #562
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Part of my interest in seeing the restored cut is hoping pieces like the psychologist would be put back in. As you said, it likely won't improve the film greatly, but it might heal some of the wounds.
I've heard that it has Hollis Mason's death and possibly more with Rorschach, hopefully with the psychiatrist.

There's another cut coming out in December integrating Black Freighter, apparently, so who knows?

You guys should check out the Creative Screenwriting podcast's episode with David Hayter (Solid Snake) and Alex Tse talking about the script. Hayter gets pretty defensive regarding some of the elements Snyder left out that may have made it a better movie, and some other really cool tidbits. Really worth listening to if you get the chance.

Oh, and we saw The Brothers Bloom and both loved it. While it wasn't in 3D and I didn't have a Squirtigo Revisited moment, it was a pretty damn awesome con film with some stellar performances all around. Tons of visual flair and little moments that really make for a fucking awesome movie. Up will wait another day.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #563
Blue Crack Addict

Hayter is a fun guy to listen to, obviously he's got at least some level of voice talent after all, though I haven't really heard him talk about Watchmen at all I don't think. I might check that out.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #564
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hayter is a fun guy to listen to, obviously he's got at least some level of voice talent after all, though I haven't really heard him talk about Watchmen at all I don't think. I might check that out.
Hell, Alan Moore said his draft was the closest anyone's ever been to putting Watchmen on screen, so that's always good. He knows his shit.

The Kurtzman/Orci episode about Star Trek was pretty enlightening, too, as it addresses most of the gripes people have with the film and the duo in particular. One of them seems pretty cool and the other sounds like a complete fucking nerd. Cracked me up.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #565
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Oh, and we saw The Brothers Bloom and both loved it. While it wasn't in 3D and I didn't have a Squirtigo Revisited moment, it was a pretty damn awesome con film with some stellar performances all around. Tons of visual flair and little moments that really make for a fucking awesome movie. Up will wait another day.
I'm seeing this tomorrow for sure. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #566
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm seeing this tomorrow for sure. Looking forward to it.
Fantastic. One of the opening scenes pretty much has the entire cast of Brick in small cameos, too. Really fun moment.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #567
Blue Crack Addict

Also, your Avatar continues to freak me out, since that guy looks remarkably like a bizarre-o psychotic version of my father circa 2003.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #568
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Also, your Avatar continues to freak me out, since that guy looks remarkably like a bizarre-o psychotic version of my father circa 2003.
Your father looks like Stan Van Gundy? That's awesome.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Your father looks like Stan Van Gundy? That's awesome.
Looking up some pics on google, no. He doesn't at all. Must just be that particular shot.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #570
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Looking up some pics on google, no. He doesn't at all. Must just be that particular shot.
That's kind of scary.

Also, after you see Brothers Bloom, you will fall in love with Rinko Kikuchi if you haven't already and if I haven't overestimated your love with goofy Asian women.