Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #541
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:06 PM
I thought that Australia was beyond heinous. Hideously long, awfully boring 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back. There was barely any shirtless Hugh in it anyway.

What a horrible movie.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #542
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I sing you to me, Mrs. Cori.

Meh. I was mostly unmoved by Nulla, although I thought the kid did a good job in the role.

I did laugh at the part where Mrs Boss tries to sing him Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but she doesn't really remember how it goes.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #543
Blue Crack Supplier

Kidman got way too much shit for the film. I thought aside from the poor physical comedy at the beginning (which Luhrman really should be blamed for), she was pretty spot on. Funny, tough, and emotional when she needed to be.

But I know I'm in the minority on this one. It didn't work for a lot of people.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #544
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I couldn't even finish it to be honest. It was on the level of "Unbearable childish talking-animal Dreamworks horse-shit" for me. And I gave it a fair shake too, I watched about an hour of it. Aside from some impressive animation I found absolutely nothing to like. The Toy Story movies lose some points for similar reasons, especially Toy Story 2, though those films make up for it more with at least a little creativity and imagination. Aside from maybe Wall-E, I think Up was the first Pixar film to really strike a successfully functional storytelling balance between mature subtext and more kid-friendly accessible plot and humor. Really the only flaw I have with the film is the villain who is completely under-explored. Even Russell was effective, and he had one of the more powerful moments in the film when he was talking about his Pa.

Then again, I'm not really a Pixar fan. I only really like maybe half of their films, and am not in love with any of them. And they're still probably the best American animation studio. Sad.
Opps, 'tops for me' is what I intended to type. Well to each their own, I think what makes Toy Story such an enduring classic is that it really is above and beyond the kind of movie it is, hell more adults I know like it than little kids of the Dreamworks Animation generation.

I agree with Muntz unfortunately not getting enough screentime to understand him fully, I think they did a good job of giving us enough background to at least get his maniacal motivation at the end, but not how he became a super-inventor or how he behaved so well when they first meet if he's such an isolated misanthrope haha.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #545
ONE
love, blood, life

Also laz, I can't agree with you on Spider-Man 2, granted it still has the problem of being sappy that the first one had, but its story-telling is compelling and tight, and features excellent special effects (the first movie was underwhelming here and there in that department) Michael Chabon should write more screenplays, and all Spider-Man movies. Although I was really intrigued when they hired James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) to write a two-movie arc, but now they've scrapped that for just another sequel. Raimi may love the character like no other, and has proved himself as an action director, but that love didn't translate when it came to writing the screenplay, which I think even he's admitted.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #546
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't think Spider-Man 2 is a bad movie. I think it's very good. But it's extremely overrated, with everyone proclaiming it OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR!!!!1!!1!!

Personally, I prefer both of Nolan's Batman films, Batman Returns, Dick Tracy, and the first two Superman films.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #547
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:06 PM
I'd put V for Vendetta and Watchmen up there as well. Which version do you consider when you cite Superman II: the original or Donner cut?

Also, I'm heading out to see either The Brothers Bloom or Up with The Lady Friend tonight. Not sure which one to go to yet.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #548
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I don't think Spider-Man 2 is a bad movie. I think it's very good. But it's extremely overrated, with everyone proclaiming it OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR!!!!1!!1!!

Personally, I prefer both of Nolan's Batman films, Batman Returns, Dick Tracy, and the first two Superman films.
So you think there are 6 comic book movies better than Spiderman 2? That's not exactly an overwhelming mass. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to say Spiderman 2 is the OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR, because frankly there aren't many good ones. Even some of those you listed aren't really all that great.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #549
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Also, I'm heading out to see either The Brothers Bloom or Up with The Lady Friend tonight. Not sure which one to go to yet.
I've got to decide whether I want to see The Brothers Bloom in a shitty theater or Drag Me To Hell in a great theater this week. If they were showing in the same venue this really wouldn't be much of a choice, honestly, but given my options. I'm not sure.

The next few weeks should be pretty great if my smaller theaters actually get some of the films I want to see. Moon, Whatever Works, Tetro (probably won't come anywhere near me till next month though, bastards), and then Public Enemies around the corner.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #550
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Drag Me to Hell is worth it if you bring some friends along, too. And if you're not too big on Raimi's non-Spiderman 2 work, then I don't know what to tell you.

Moon and Whatever Works have really small chances of hitting near me, let alone both at the same time, so that's cool for you.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #551
Blue Crack Addict

Well, it could go either way here. I think one theater might get Moon, as that just seems like the sort of thing they'd pick up for a few weeks. They always like to have some smaller sci-fi stuff during the summer. And another theater (the shitty one I'll probably see Bloom in) got Vicky Christina last summer, so I'm counting on this one as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #552
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'd put V for Vendetta and Watchmen up there as well. Which version do you consider when you cite Superman II: the original or Donner cut?
Haven't seen the Donner cut, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like they necessarily improved that much.

Quote:
Up with The Lady Friend tonight.
I'll bet.

(not even Courtney Lee could miss that alley-oop)

Up 3D = U23D Revisited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
So you think there are 6 comic book movies better than Spiderman 2? That's not exactly an overwhelming mass. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to say Spiderman 2 is the OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR, because frankly there aren't many good ones. Even some of those you listed aren't really all that great.
Well you can add the two that LMP mentioned, and if we're going outside the superhero genre I'd also add Ghost World, A History of Violence. There may be others.

And again, I think it's a very well done film, but it just doesn't have a lot of amazing moments for me. And I hate that patriotic stuff. Seemed beneath Raimi.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #553
Blue Crack Addict

Best comic book movie:

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #554
Blue Crack Supplier

Another one better than S-M 2.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #555
Blue Crack Addict

I do love me some V for Vendetta. Watchmen, I'd have trouble even calling a competent film. I'll still probably give it a second shot when the director's cut DVD comes out. Or did it come out already? Just to see if the added material improves the experience any.