Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post

UP
Anyways, I liked it a lot. Almost loved it. Very cool flick. The first third of the movie is probably the strongest, but there were some really fantastic moments throughout. One sequence in particular is sticking with me...an extended 10 or 15 minute sequence near the start of the movie with no dialogue. A montage showing Carl and Ellie's life together from children to old age. Beautiful stuff. The relationship between Carl and Ellie is the soul of the movie, and I'm glad the writers didn't lose sight of that.

This is what I am saying, the first 1/3 was great. Carl and Ellie, the montage and their spoken parts were perfect, almost Champlinist. The old man dealing with the construction crew was great too.

What fell flat was how they wrote and depicted the Boy Scout character. That kid was just annoying, one dimensional. And that after they wrote young Carl and Ellie so appealing.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #467
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapnutz View Post
Drag Me to Hell.

The most fun I've had at the cinema since Nov '95 when I got to fondle Jessica Poole's breasts during a school screening of Goldeneye.
now THAT is a review...

Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #468
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:33 PM
I guess that beats my for Angels & Demons, though it did stray from the book.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #469
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 AM
Loved Up, what a surprise. Pixar's 9.5 for 10 (for storytelling I give Cars more credit than most, and the visuals are just awe-inspiring, but they could have done more with it, although its got the least potential from its premise out of all their features)

I don't feel like Russell was one-dimensional, the first half of the movie there wasn't much too him but a likeable loser kid, but when you start to get to know stuff about him, you can't help but feel for him without it feeling cheap or manufactured. I was a tad worried by the design in the first portion of the movie (the only thing I don't like about Pixar is their design of people) but the main characters were well rendered and unique visually, and the rest of the style is just awesome, relatively real but just slightly retro and odd throughout.

Once again Pixar's strength comes from the fact that they produce such great films for adults and simply because its what they want to tell/make, while this will be a more mass marketable film than the last two (masterpieces), given the adventure, talking animals, etc., the storyline and emotion/themes will go right over kids heads, like every Pixar movie after Finding Nemo (even some of Cars is deeper than what Disney markets it as). Pixar's constant display of artistry, creativity and staggering technical animation is always admirable, but their insane and consistent box office success is reassuring for humanity/mainstream that swallows so much crap and don't care to recognize art.

And once again the 'cinematography' is more impressive than many filmed efforts, and in spite of the fact that since its animated you can do anything you want with the angles, this really has a studied and real film way of viewing things, Wall-E set the bench mark for making an animated film look like it was shot and with style(in the Earth sequences, the second half becomes more fantastical all around), but this lives up to it.

I think Coraline will be the animated film of the year (I'm sure it will be forgotten by the almighty awards committees), this will likely be a close second for me, unless something else stuns, although I am really looking forward to The Fantastic Mr. Fox, I love Roald Dahl, stop-motion and Wes Anderson, so its a potent combination for me.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #470
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
This is what I am saying, the first 1/3 was great. Carl and Ellie, the montage and their spoken parts were perfect, almost Champlinist.
As in "Charles Champlin" the film critic? Or did you mean Chaplinesque as in "Charles Chaplin"?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I did mean Chaplin, the silent film icon that conveyed emotions without spoken words. (I love/hate spell check)

I did hear Charles Champlin speak once, he had some great Frank Sinatra stories.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

See, I thought Coraline was almost mind-numbingly predictable and treaded worn ground. That film offered absolutely nothing new or exciting. The stop-motion and voice acting were well accomplished, but... bleck.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #473
ONE
love, blood, life

Oy vey, we're just born to disagree. You must spend more time here than in other parts of the site, I don't remember running into this much with you before haha.

To be honest Coraline blew me away for being creative in its animation/music/voice acting, and extremely enjoyable from a story-telling point of view, it isn't entirely new territory but I think it brought life to that kid in another world learns a lesson about real life kind of story, and the mood it created was just so cool, it got more and more atmospheric (and no doubt more and more nightmare inducing for children) as it went on. Maybe its because I also kept myself from knowing too much before it came out, so it was still fresh when I saw it and that just let me gape at it and enjoy. I liked the quirky/jerky charm to the stop-motion, which has come along way in terms of smoothness since Nightmare Before Christmas (as evidenced by Corpse Bride) but this seemed like it was deliberately more lo-fi in keeping with the movie, which really liked the fact that it was in a constructed/smaller world and sold that to you, and the music seems often to mix in more toy-like instruments and odd children's voices than impressive professional symphonies, all these things combined to make it so great to me.

The most unexpected thing was the excellent performance from Teri Hatcher.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Up.

I loved it. Loved! The beginning sequence was incredible. And the part where Carl opened up the adventure book and found Ellie's note also made me cry. Really a wonderful back story. The dog was too awesome for words.

I hid under your porch because I LOVE YOU. Awesome.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #475
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Up.
And the part where Carl opened up the adventure book and found Ellie's note also made me cry
Me too. I cried at the end and maybe one other time as well I loved it too.

Honestly I have never seen any other Pixar movie. I wanted to see Up because I saw a sneak preview of it at Disney World when I went there in March, for the first time ever. I've been Disney obsessed ever since and now I realize the complete sadness of being Pixar deprived and I have to rent all of them.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
although I am really looking forward to The Fantastic Mr. Fox, I love Roald Dahl, stop-motion and Wes Anderson, so its a potent combination for me.
When is this happening? I remember loving the story, didn't know a movie was coming.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #477
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
When is this happening? I remember loving the story, didn't know a movie was coming.
November 13th, I believe.

George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, and Anjelica Huston are voicing it, too.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Me too. I cried at the end and maybe one other time as well I loved it too.
I cried three times too.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #479
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
November 13th, I believe.

George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, and Anjelica Huston are voicing it, too.
I know, awesome cast, and many members of the Wes Anderson club. Anjelica Huston is just plain badass.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier

Up:

GAF was right, the first third was the best. Unfortunately, it fell rather flat to me once they got to their destination. Did not find the dogs funny except for a few moments. Poor writing choice including them, in my opinion. They could have spent a little more time fleshing out the explorer character, too. They spent like 3 minutes with him and then the rest of the film is essentially a long chase sequence with one break. Picked up a bit again in the last third with Carl's "change of heart", but the ending was a bit obvious.

Personally, I don't really think this is as good as Wall-E or Ratatouille, even if there are some real moments of beauty.

Major props to Michael Giacchino for that score, though.