Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Did you ever see the episode of TNG where Riker is like trapped in a play or something? That was a trip, well, until the ending. Felt kinda pink-spider-ish to me.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #452
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Frame of Mind. One of my favs.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #453
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Frame of Mind. One of my favs.
That's the one! I couldn't think of the ep title. Thanks, Laz. I love TNG, it's my favorite Star Trek series.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #454
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Me too. TNG > original >>> the other series that I never watched. It's easy to say TNG is superior only because of Picard, but there was some really cool stuff going on in a lot of TNG eps. Some of the Data episodes are really good, like the one where they want to disassemble him, and then his daughter. And the one where he's fighting to prove that those little robots (Exocrons?) are alive.

And absolutely Generations should have had some Q action in it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #455
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
There's also something to be said for brevity in this case. It's nice not having to sit through another overlong adventure, the likes of which the series is so often burdened with.
qft, it seems in Bond we've found our common ground,
Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #456
Blue Crack Addict

UP

Spur of the moment thing, the Sox were down 5 runs in the 4th inning to the shitty Athletics of Oakland so a buddy and I decided to up and go see Up. In 3D. The 3D did nothing for me. There were maybe one or two instances where the 3D came into effect and actually served a purpose. I would have felt the exact same about this thing without it.

Anyways, I liked it a lot. Almost loved it. Very cool flick. The first third of the movie is probably the strongest, but there were some really fantastic moments throughout. One sequence in particular is sticking with me...an extended 10 or 15 minute sequence near the start of the movie with no dialogue. A montage showing Carl and Ellie's life together from children to old age. Beautiful stuff. The relationship between Carl and Ellie is the soul of the movie, and I'm glad the writers didn't lose sight of that.

So it's definitely a crowd pleaser. Saw it in a packed house and everyone ate it up. Lots of laughs and ooohs and aaaaahs. I'd say it's one of Pixar's best. For me, personally, it will be hard for the studio to ever top Finding Nemo, but if you want even more recent comparisons I liked this more than both Wall-E and Ratatouille.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the music is awesome. Mark this score down for an Oscar nomination.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #457
Blue Crack Distributor

The Darjeeling Limited

Overall charming, although there were a few things that annoyed me (mainly Owen Wilson, who usually annoys me anyway). I also really enjoyed the Hotel Chevallier short.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #458
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I also really enjoyed the Hotel Chevallier short.
Trust me, so did I.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #459
Blue Crack Supplier

Damn you, Jason Schwartzman.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #460
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
UP

Spur of the moment thing, the Sox were down 5 runs in the 4th inning to the shitty Athletics of Oakland so a buddy and I decided to up and go see Up. In 3D. The 3D did nothing for me. There were maybe one or two instances where the 3D came into effect and actually served a purpose. I would have felt the exact same about this thing without it.

Anyways, I liked it a lot. Almost loved it. Very cool flick. The first third of the movie is probably the strongest, but there were some really fantastic moments throughout. One sequence in particular is sticking with me...an extended 10 or 15 minute sequence near the start of the movie with no dialogue. A montage showing Carl and Ellie's life together from children to old age. Beautiful stuff. The relationship between Carl and Ellie is the soul of the movie, and I'm glad the writers didn't lose sight of that.

So it's definitely a crowd pleaser. Saw it in a packed house and everyone ate it up. Lots of laughs and ooohs and aaaaahs. I'd say it's one of Pixar's best. For me, personally, it will be hard for the studio to ever top Finding Nemo, but if you want even more recent comparisons I liked this more than both Wall-E and Ratatouille.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the music is awesome. Mark this score down for an Oscar nomination.
I'm with you on Nemo, not sure Pixar will top that. If you like their stuff there's a DVD of their short films, I actually found it on a torrent site (I'm a terrible cheapskate, sue me) and me and my daughter ate it up. One of the films was a little short that you can find on the Finding Nemo VHS (not the DVD) called "Knick-Knack" that we both love.

Going to check out Up, I've heard nothing but good about it.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, there are some good Pixar shorts. There was one before UP (so get to the theater early) called "Partly Cloudly" about the misadventures of a stork. It was sweet.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

I saw Up last night too. I think it's probably my favorite from Pixar, though I was never exactly their biggest fan or anything. It's their most beautifully animated, but probably has the most successfully mature and poignant adult subtext of any of their work, while still crafting an excellent comical adventure plot over it all. My friend and I were pretty dumbfounded by the sheer amount of clever dog jokes they were able to squeeze in, some of which would have been pretty easy to miss if you weren't really paying attention. Comic geniuses over at that studio if nothing else.

I disagree with GAF regarding the 3D though. I think it absolutely did contribute to the experience. I think people fall into the trap of dismissing it as unnecessary because either A. They see a bad movie, and come away feeling it was a bad movie that wasn't saved by 3D, or B. They see a good movie, and come away feeling it was a good movie, and assume it would have been just as good without the 3D. And in some ways that's right, but in others not really. A good movie is a good movie no matter what, just as a bad movie is a bad movie. 3D is merely another tool for filmmakers to craft an immersive and compelling storytelling experience for you, just like cinemascope, surround sound, or whatever else. And I think it's a pretty effective one, especially if you can experience the best of the technology (IMAX 3D or Dolby 3D, which are considerably finer technologies and experiences than RealD, which is obviously the most common across the glove). For example, I don't come out of Terminator Salvation thinking, "Wow, that was awful, and the aspect ratio totally didn't improve the experience for me!" But I think 3D currently has that stigma for a number of reasons. One, because you usually have to pay a little extra for it. But that's just a business issue, and I figure it will get sorted out some time down the line. Two, because it's still rather new (at least this brand of digital stereo), and people aren't used to it being a common cinematic tool like digital surround sound or cinemascope.

I guess my point is, I'm glad when good filmmakers decide to use 3D to enhance the experience of seeing their films, and I think with Up (and even with U23D, which is still the best 3D experience you can find in theaters) filmmakers are beginning to find more expressive ways to use the technology. If you noticed in Up, during restricted emotional moments, like when Carl is alone in his house, or mourning his wife throughout their adventure, the stereo space was really thin, or flat. Then during more emotionally charged moments they really blew out the stereo space and pushed the 3D depth really far out. Good stuff. And the proof they were so successful with it was that after a couple minutes you hardly ever noticed the 3D standing out from the film. Which you really shouldn't if it's doing its job properly. And a great movie is a great movie whether you watch it in IMAX 3D, or in a rinky-dink strip mall theater, or on DVD on your bedroom tv set. They're just different means of experiencing the film that don't really alter the quality of the product that much.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #463
Refugee

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Drag Me to Hell.

The most fun I've had at the cinema since Nov '95 when I got to fondle Jessica Poole's breasts during a school screening of Goldeneye.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #464
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
It's their most beautifully animated, but probably has the most successfully mature and poignant adult subtext of any of their work, while still crafting an excellent comical adventure plot over it all.
Did you mean to say it's NOT their most beautifully animated? Because there's a "but" following that.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

Good catch. Typo. It probably IS their most beautifully animated I'd wager. Ratatouille comes close, but they are two really distinctive art styles so it's tough to compare.