Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #436
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It just doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy. I'm a TNG guy, and really don't care about seeing what J.J. Abrams is up to.
That's fair then.

I can't believe they only managed to make 1 great, let alone good, movie with the TNG cast. Incredible.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #437
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I did not like the scene with the kid, stealing the Vette and throwing it over a cliff. I thought it was just pandering to adolescent males, (good for the box office)
Yeah, that was a bit eye-rolling. It was slightly neat as a scene setter - the Vette as an antique, the cop on the hoverthingie.

I did like the other scenes in Iowa where you saw all the futuristic buildings and whatnot with all the typical Iowa corn and stuff surrounding it.

I don't think I've ever seen an episode of the original series, and only saw maybe a handful of TNG episodes. Of the flicks, I've only seen IV of the original cast (goofy), Generations (yawn) and the one with the Borg, which I thought was pretty kickass.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #438
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Comparatively speaking, I enjoyed it more than T4 or Up.


I would not rate it a 8.5 or 9

probably a 7, maybe 7.5

My nit picks,

I did not like the scene with the kid, stealing the Vette and throwing it over a cliff. I thought it was just pandering to adolescent males, (good for the box office)

The bar scene, when he sits down next to an alien than has a simian like nose, why is he the only alien in there. I thought they were a bit chintzy with the aliens. The alien in green paint, looked like a Troma production.

The Chekhov character annoyed me, and I like that actor a lot. He was great in Huff.
These are just a few reasons why I did not rate it higher.
I read somewhere that the car going over the cliff is some sort of symbol regarding "new" vs. "old" Trek. Again, it's purely speculation, but it being a vintage car (from the '60s, no less) maybe adds to that? I kind of dug his BTTF Part II jacket though.

The bar scene was an obvious nod to the cantina scene from Star Wars... it was mostly miss for me until Capt. Pike showed up.

And Chekov, I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Yeah, that was a bit eye-rolling. It was slightly neat as a scene setter - the Vette as an antique, the cop on the hoverthingie.

I did like the other scenes in Iowa where you saw all the futuristic buildings and whatnot with all the typical Iowa corn and stuff surrounding it.

I don't think I've ever seen an episode of the original series, and only saw maybe a handful of TNG episodes. Of the flicks, I've only seen IV of the original cast (goofy), Generations (yawn) and the one with the Borg, which I thought was pretty kickass.
Wrath of Khan (#2) is the gold standard, as you've probably read multiple times, and The Undiscovered Country (#6) is the only other "great" movie of the bunch.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #439
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 04:29 PM
I think I've only seen bits and pieces of KHAAAAAAAAAAN, so maybe I'll toss it in my Netflix queue.

Quantum of Solace

Failed to hold my interest in a spectacular way. Big letdown after Casino Royale.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #440
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,990
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Quantum of Solace

Failed to hold my interest in a spectacular way. Big letdown after Casino Royale.
I laughed through it. And the plane crash reminded me of the plane crash in Madagascar 2, so I completely checked out at that point. I have yet to discern a plot.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Too damn long.
An interesting period-piece. Cate Blanchett drove me up the wall and I saw most of the plot coming 15 minutes before it happened. Fell asleep halfway through. Taraji Henson was probably my favourite.

Frost/Nixon
Slow and too damn long again. Took forever to get to the interesting part, the actual interview, but by then I was so bored with it and couldn't understand a damn word Frank Langella was saying that I turned it off before the interview even started.

Taken
Props to making me panic about my friends going to Europe by themselves for the U2 tour, but other than that, eh. I haven't seen a movie that really captured my attention since The Dark Knight. I liked Watchmen, but only for some unintentionally funny parts due to in-jokes between me and my friends.
__________________
Reggo is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #441
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 08:29 PM
I can't believe people's dislike of Quantum of Solace, its the most stylish James Bond movie ever, has a non-stop revenge plot, a Bond-girl with some substance (how unusual) who's also drop-dead gorgeous, and brings the worldwide conspiracy and somewhat oddball elements of classic Bond back into the franchise. I had so much fun with it. But I'm risking all my cred again as I never really discuss the serious film-making I like and why here, I've just been defending lowbrow 'crap' lately hahaha.

Its not on the story-telling or character development level of CR, but its damn fun, beautiful and really works as the last act of the CR story, we've had his origin and how he wasn't what we were used to, and now we've seen him harden and shed his previous behavior setting up the Bond everyone used to know to continue on in the rest of the series (that and the physical, visceral Bond in addition to his suave, playboy sensibility is more in keeping with Ian Fleming's character than the previous franchise was)
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #442
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Also, what we've learned from summer movies thus far is that Sam Worthington and Anton Yelchin are breaking out in a big way, Yelchin was an impressive young actor before, but I don't think more than a year ago anyone would expect him to be a mainstream success. And Worthington will owe everything to James Cameron thanks to Avatar (if it can live up to even 1% of Cameron's, and by extension the internet fanboys' hype) and his suggesting him to McG.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #443
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Well, to everyone's surprise, I agree with both those posts powerhour.

I thought Quantum of Solace was definitely in the upper echelon of Bond filmage. Maybe not as solid as Casino Royale, and not as successful from a storytelling perspective, but maybe surpasses it in other ways. It's visually stunning, and I enjoyed the return to a more globe-trotting adventure, even if the pace was probably a bit too frenetic for its own good. That said, all the key performers were at their best, the set-pieces (with the exception of the opening chase) were all brilliantly conceived, certainly more interesting than many of their Bourne counterparts which the film is so often unfavorably compared.

There were also a number of really effective emotional points the film executed rather well, notably the parallel in the burning hotel at the end where Bond is cradling Camille in his arms, which obviously alludes to the similar moment with Vesper in Casino Royale. So yeah, tops movie. I really want to see it for a third time some time soon now.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #444
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,010
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Well, to everyone's surprise, I agree with both those posts powerhour.

I thought Quantum of Solace was definitely in the upper echelon of Bond filmage. Maybe not as solid as Casino Royale, and not as successful from a storytelling perspective, but maybe surpasses it in other ways. It's visually stunning, and I enjoyed the return to a more globe-trotting adventure, even if the pace was probably a bit too frenetic for its own good. That said, all the key performers were at their best, the set-pieces (with the exception of the opening chase) were all brilliantly conceived, certainly more interesting than many of their Bourne counterparts which the film is so often unfavorably compared.

There were also a number of really effective emotional points the film executed rather well, notably the parallel in the burning hotel at the end where Bond is cradling Camille in his arms, which obviously alludes to the similar moment with Vesper in Casino Royale. So yeah, tops movie. I really want to see it for a third time some time soon now.
Agreed. Don't know if I'd objectively call QOS a better film than Casino Royale, but there were some improvements and it's clearly a different animal, certainly one less anonymously-directed than your standard Bond fare.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #445
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,010
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
That's fair then.

I can't believe they only managed to make 1 great, let alone good, movie with the TNG cast. Incredible.
True. But in my opinion All Good Things... (TNG series finale) is the best thing ever released under the ST banner. They should have put that in the theatres instead of Generations, that's for sure.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #446
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Agreed. Don't know if I'd objectively call QOS a better film than Casino Royale, but there were some improvements and it's clearly a different animal, certainly one less anonymously-directed than your standard Bond fare.
There's also something to be said for brevity in this case. It's nice not having to sit through another overlong adventure, the likes of which the series is so often burdened with.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #447
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
True. But in my opinion All Good Things... (TNG series finale) is the best thing ever released under the ST banner. They should have put that in the theatres instead of Generations, that's for sure.
Yeah, it's one of my favorite Trek episodes as well, along with "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Redemption," "Darmok," etc...
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #448
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,010
Local Time: 04:29 PM
The Walls Fell.



YouTube - Darmok and Jelad (Star Trek TNG Song)
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #449
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Taken
Props to making me panic about my friends going to Europe by themselves for the U2 tour, but other than that, eh. I haven't seen a movie that really captured my attention since The Dark Knight. I liked Watchmen, but only for some unintentionally funny parts due to in-jokes between me and my friends.
It kind of reminded me of Man on Fire except not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
True. But in my opinion All Good Things... (TNG series finale) is the best thing ever released under the ST banner. They should have put that in the theatres instead of Generations, that's for sure.
There's a fanedit (Kirkless Generations, I think by CBB) that I've heard is an improvement, though I haven't seen it.

Oh and that song has a very Bob Dylan/Trip Through Your Wires feel to it. Could it be the harmonica? And that's a great episode.
__________________
CTU2fan is online now  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #450
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:29 PM
I've heard of Kirkless Generations, but in the end, it's still a glorified TNG episode, not even a great one at that.

The fact that we got no Q, Klingon Civil War?, or Dominion War-related stuff in a movie was ridiculous. Hell, a movie based off of the things from "Conspiracy" would've been fantastic... that's easily the most disturbing episode of all of Trek, in my opinion.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com