Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the Right One In. 8.5/10

Really liked it. It was very gruesome (to me) without it necessarily being overtly violent. Maybe the age of the children is what shocked me. At first I thought the girl they had cast looked too old for the role, but I think she was actually perfectly cast. The boy probably looked younger and that was the striking difference.

The pool scene was something else. And that shot of her face when he came up and smiled, really well done.

Rachel Getting Married

I liked it quite a bit. Parts of it were brutal, and parts were just wonderful. Anne Hathaway deserved every lick of praise and award/nomination she got.

I didn't know Robyn Hitchcock was in this as a musician, and an actress in a very minor role made me laugh - Tamyra Gray, from the first season of American Idol. :lol:

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
HP1_posters.JPG

This is a good start to a great series. I've thought that each movie was an improvement on the former, so of course the first film is the weakest. But that being said, it's still pretty damn good.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Let the Right One In

Wow, that was really good.

The ending totally caught me off guard. The shot of the you-know-what falling into the pool behind Oskar .... AIEEEEEE!

Let the Right One In

Wow, that was really good.

The ending totally caught me off guard. The shot of the you-know-what falling into the pool behind Oskar .... AIEEEEEE!

Wasn't it great? I loved it. I was one of three people in the theater where I saw it on a cold, gray and snowy day, and we were all sunk down in our seats both creeped out and touched.

I was annoyed with the DVD when I popped it in because the default setting was dubbed English. No thank you!

It took me a while to switch to the English subtitles and I had to start over a few times. :reject:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button... really, little more to say other than - overrated.

I just got back from Last House on the Left. It was, I don't know, one of the most overly violent things I've ever seen in my life, and I'm honestly actually a little queasy now, cause I saw it at Movie Tavern, so I was eating while watching it, but, I actually think it was a decent film.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

God damn. Anyone else see this? I don't have much of a review aside to say it's a wonderful film and one that really seems like it should exist. I almost feel as though I should have a ton of issues with what the film does and how it functions, but it continually pushed all those thoughts aside in light of an earth-shatteringly potent story. And paradoxically, it seems like the sort of story that could only really be told in such a self-aware and almost counterintuitive way. Either way, it's really just fucking fantastic, and everyone should try to see it even if it's a guaranteed kick-in-the-balls waterworks sort of film. It's on netflix's "watch instantly" selection, for the record.

Flash of Genius. 5/10.

It was boring. I don't know what possessed me to watch it anyway since I usually hate legally inspired movies. Also maybe because I knew the whole story, the movie felt like we were getting just tiny snippets of what happened, and it wasn't satisfying in the least.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. 6/10.

I liked the kids who played the boys, they were both cute and believable. I guess I expected the movie to impact me more than it did, given the subject matter, but it didn't. There was something lacking about it for me, on an emotional scale anyway.

did those birds rape your daughter and leave her for dead?
Pretty much.

:yes: shock and brutality for shock and brutality's sake. akin to Wolf Creek, just 2 hours of some director's sadist fantasies without making any point or commentary along the way. :down:

That was the thing, there wasn't really anything HAPPENING in the movie til the last half hour. It was...Ugh, I don't know that was definitely not what I was expecting for sure. I like going into a movie not knowing what it's about, but that might be the last time I'm ever going in that blind.

That was the thing, there wasn't really anything HAPPENING in the movie til the last half hour. It was...Ugh, I don't know that was definitely not what I was expecting for sure. I like going into a movie not knowing what it's about, but that might be the last time I'm ever going in that blind.

I was reading a review and the critic was saying that it was horrible, not just b/c of the violence and over-the-top brutality, but b/c all that stuff had no point to make. The critic went on to say that Wes Craven's original 1972 Last House On The Left at least tried to use the violence to comment on anti-violence and social satire, and that even Craven's 1972 version was loosely based upon Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring, where Bergman used the age-old coincidence/revenge story to question the nature of God.

I'm no film critic, but even I, upon leaving the theater, was wondering what the point was. I can say I totally enjoyed the recent Friday The 13th remake, but that film and that franchise will always have a taste of the fantastical and the fun of horror. Here, the director went through such pains to achieve authenticity and realism for what?

Also, that very last scene. WTF! Does the doctor (who as a general rule of the profession, have high degrees of intelligence) not realize that there's going to be a serious police investigation? 2 cops dead, 1 teenage girl and who knows how many other murdered victims. Ummm, yeah. So how's the doctor going to explain that last scene. He wouldn't be able to and so it just becomes purely gratuitous.

I liked Monica Potter as the Mom. I think she did a great acting job - just too bad it had to be trapped inside this film.

I was reading a review and the critic was saying that it was horrible, not just b/c of the violence and over-the-top brutality, but b/c all that stuff had no point to make. The critic went on to say that Wes Craven's original 1972 Last House On The Left at least tried to use the violence to comment on anti-violence and social satire, and that even Craven's 1972 version was loosely based upon Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring, where Bergman used the age-old coincidence/revenge story to question the nature of God.

I'm no film critic, but even I, upon leaving the theater, was wondering what the point was. I can say I totally enjoyed the recent Friday The 13th remake, but that film and that franchise will always have a taste of the fantastical and the fun of horror. Here, the director went through such pains to achieve authenticity and realism for what?

Also, that very last scene. WTF! Does the doctor (who as a general rule of the profession, have high degrees of intelligence) not realize that there's going to be a serious police investigation? 2 cops dead, 1 teenage girl and who knows how many other murdered victims. Ummm, yeah. So how's the doctor going to explain that last scene. He wouldn't be able to and so it just becomes purely gratuitous.

I liked Monica Potter as the Mom. I think she did a great acting job - just too bad it had to be trapped inside this film.

We had a very verbal person in the theater, and, just about halfway through the guy yells out "I thought this was supposed to be a horror movie." It was horrific, I just don't think that's what most of us had planned on seeing.

My friend and I were talking about that last scene after the movie actually, I was just like, "and now you're going to jail." Though we theorized that maybe the cops would just leave the head explosion out of their report, since the guy was a cop killer.

Also, I realize I said it's a decent film, but the more I think about it, i think I'd like to amend that more to, it wasn't a stupid crappy horror film, like I was expecting to see.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona. 8/10.

I really liked it a lot. Quirky characters and sharp dialogue - classic Woody Allen (and I'm not his biggest fan). I also spent some time in Barcelona years ago and so this movie felt like it was a love letter to the city. Just beautiful, I'm itching to go back.

I'd definitely recommend it.

I finally watched Rachel Getting Married last night and Milk earlier in the week. I didn't expect Milk to make Brokeback Mountain look like fucking Rambo, but it was a decent film. I thought Brolin was great. It didn't have much of an impact on me other than leaving the feeling that I just left an Of Montreal show.

Rachel Getting Married, on the other hand, is up with Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Let the Right One In for the best of last year. I loved everything about it.

Milk

I'm not much of a fan of Sean Penn. But watching this, I forgot I was watching Sean Penn. So yeah, he deserved that Oscar.

Far inferior? Nah. I appreciated its verite aesthetic over City of God's super-stylized hyper-realism. I also preferred the former's rejection of most contemporary narrative traditions, which City of God sort of fell into a bit too often if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed City of God more

I would not compare the two.

different production values, narration styles, City of God had a typical linear story
Gomorra, felt more like a real look at some aspects of organized crime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom