Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #406
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 08:53 AM
What my point boils down to is, could someone else have made a better movie out of the concept? With a better screenplay, sure. But should we pick it to pieces and be so unforgiving of the man who's aspirations aren't all that high and worked just fine within the confines of summer entertainment? No. He'll never be a master storyteller, but he just proved himself to be a maestro action director. At least he's not so much of an obnoxious tool as Michael Bay, and again I liked the way TS was shot, which I can't say of even the fun Michael Bay movies.

I guess pre-gravitas injected action movies prior to this decade didn't need such a high standard, back then I'd say Spielberg and Cameron were the only directors who ever elevated mainstream movies, which I'm not saying is a bad thing (granted, screenwriting in the blockbuster department would always be welcome), of course we could benefit from all movies being good at storytelling and artistry even popcorn movies, but it doesn't mean I can't have fun with what's out there, and that the people behind them are totally worthless, I think people are needlessly harsh sometimes. You may want more out of your average blockbuster than me, but on a day like today when I just went out for a little escapism, I had fun, so shoot me.
__________________

__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #407
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
...worked just fine within the confines of summer entertainment...
...but he just proved himself to be a maestro action director...
Jeeeeeze.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #408
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 04:53 AM
DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!!

I'm going to sound like a snob here, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people with decent taste would go anywhere near the likes of Terminator 3, Terminator: Salvation, Transformers, G.I. Joe, etc. You can smell that crap a mile away. There's always a couple popcorn films every summer that actually have a soul behind the effects, and those are enough to satisfy me without have to see every single event movie that comes out.

Full confession: I did pay to see The Island at the cheap theatre a few years ago, but it was mainly because I like both of the leads, and the concept looked interesting. I also saw I, Robot, mainly because I had faith that Alex Proyas's vision would somehow balance out the presence of Will Smith and a bastardized version of Asimov's World.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
What my point boils down to is, could someone else have made a better movie out of the concept? With a better screenplay, sure. But should we pick it to pieces and be so unforgiving of the man who's aspirations aren't all that high and worked just fine within the confines of summer entertainment? No. He'll never be a master storyteller, but he just proved himself to be a maestro action director. At least he's not so much of an obnoxious tool as Michael Bay, and again I liked the way TS was shot, which I can't say of even the fun Michael Bay movies.

I guess pre-gravitas injected action movies prior to this decade didn't need such a high standard, back then I'd say Spielberg and Cameron were the only directors who ever elevated mainstream movies, which I'm not saying is a bad thing (granted, screenwriting in the blockbuster department would always be welcome), of course we could benefit from all movies being good at storytelling and artistry even popcorn movies, but it doesn't mean I can't have fun with what's out there, and that the people behind them are totally worthless, I think people are needlessly harsh sometimes. You may want more out of your average blockbuster than me, but on a day like today when I just went out for a little escapism, I had fun, so shoot me.
Don't read too much into it. Some people are just art-film snobs. Then again, I haven't seen it yet. But I will soon. And I'll enjoy it, given my differing opinions with the detractors of it.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #410
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!!

I'm going to sound like a snob here, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people with decent taste would go anywhere near the likes of Terminator 3, Terminator: Salvation, Transformers, G.I. Joe, etc. You can smell that crap a mile away. There's always a couple popcorn films every summer that actually have a soul behind the effects, and those are enough to satisfy me without have to see every single event movie that comes out.

Full confession: I did pay to see The Island at the cheap theatre a few years ago, but it was mainly because I like both of the leads, and the concept looked interesting. I also saw I, Robot, mainly because I had faith that Alex Proyas's vision would somehow balance out the presence of Will Smith and a bastardized version of Asimov's World.
You know, I totally agree. I go into a number of films ever summer expecting them to be pretty awful (Terminator was one of them), but I didn't expect it to be this awful. I'm pretty sure nobody involved with the film knows how to read. I'd almost urge you to see it at some point (not in theaters obviously, you shouldn't have to pay for this shit) just to understand how dumb this movie was. It honestly shines good light on Transformers by comparison.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #411
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Don't read too much into it. Some people are just art-film snobs.
Nobody goes into a summer blockbuster expecting to see Bergman, don't be an ass.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #412
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Do most film snobs talk about Star Wars as much as we do?
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #413
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Do most film snobs talk about Star Wars as much as we do?
Of my experience with film snobs? Yes. Definitely.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #414
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!!

I'm going to sound like a snob here, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people with decent taste would go anywhere near the likes of Terminator 3, Terminator: Salvation, Transformers, G.I. Joe, etc. You can smell that crap a mile away. There's always a couple popcorn films every summer that actually have a soul behind the effects, and those are enough to satisfy me without have to see every single event movie that comes out.

Full confession: I did pay to see The Island at the cheap theatre a few years ago, but it was mainly because I like both of the leads, and the concept looked interesting. I also saw I, Robot, mainly because I had faith that Alex Proyas's vision would somehow balance out the presence of Will Smith and a bastardized version of Asimov's World.

I don't know, I'm a little more selective most of the time with movies, and never go near mainstream crap with music or books, but I don't mind turning my brain off, and that's all my point was. When I get around to it I enjoy discussing movies with you guys and I'm usually in the same boat, but today was just about having fun, and I did.

Didn't mean to start a suppsoed snob versus mainstream movie debate here, and Lance thank you for pulling two sentences I didn't like much myself out of the whole thing that I wrote and making me look just great! +



Now, let me ask this, anyone around here seen The Brothers Bloom? I didn't totally buy into Brick, but I do love that cast, and have been waiting for it through the multiple delays. I'm debating with myself when I'll put up with the snobby mcsnobsnobs that go to the only theater its playing at near me to see it, but soon, probably a weekday matinee if I'm free.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Of my experience with film snobs? Yes. Definitely.
Well, if all that distinguishes a film snob is an especially critical eye and generally higher standards when it comes to movie consumption then sure. I'll firmly embrace such a distinction.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #416
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Lance thank you for pulling two sentences I didn't like much myself out of the whole thing that I wrote and making me look just great! +
Well you didn't make it particularly hard for me that time.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #417
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!!

I'm going to sound like a snob here, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people with decent taste would go anywhere near the likes of Terminator 3, Terminator: Salvation, ......


Powerhour24 did not give this movie any high praise, like myself he just went for a good time.
I think I said I enjoyed it but it was forgettable. As someone that goes to a lot of movies, sometimes you just go to see the special effects and action shots. T3 is at 7.3 with over 17,000 votes on IMDB. (voting by plain folks and a random bored snob or two)
T2 is at 6.7, so I guess most people agree with Power and myself.


Brothers Bloom is playing near by, I hope to see it this week. I like the cast.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #418
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
T3 is at 7.3 with over 17,000 votes on IMDB. (voting by plain folks and a random bored snob or two)
T2 is at 6.7, so I guess most people agree with Power and myself.
You've got those Ts wrong. T4 has the 7.3 and T3 has the 6.7. Just for clarification.

And for the record, I prefer T3 GREATLY to Terminator Salvation. Of course I kind of hate T3, but still...
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #419
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 04:53 AM
sorry, thanks for the correction

I may have liked T3 more than T4, too.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about them once I leave the theater.

but, I have watched T1 and T2 on the T V a couple of more times.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #420
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Now, let me ask this, anyone around here seen The Brothers Bloom? I didn't totally buy into Brick, but I do love that cast, and have been waiting for it through the multiple delays. I'm debating with myself when I'll put up with the snobby mcsnobsnobs that go to the only theater its playing at near me to see it, but soon, probably a weekday matinee if I'm free.
I loved Brick and can't wait to catch Bloom soon.

And hey, at least the snobbery comments aren't insulting or anything. People go to see shit for different reasons, so what? I'm in the camp that wants to have a solid enough story and characters that I care about along with all of the action, which is why T2, Aliens, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Die Hard work incredibly well. Are they as complex as something like Brick, for example? Probably not, but hey, they hit on those fundamental levels and deliver stuff that's fresh and exciting even if it may have been done before (specifically Raiders). And there's something to be said about that.

This whole new breed of McG/Michael Bay/Wachowski-style movie, to me at least, are all style and no substance. And it's cool if people like that, a lot of them do. But when I go see Transformers to see robots turn into cars and fight and Megan Fox look incredibly hot, I don't want to see Shia LaBeouf running around in the middle of it all and lame attempts at humor. I hope the sequel is more about the spectacle than the retard running around ruining my childhood.

And if you're going to do another movie in a "franchise," at least have some respect for the ones that came before it. X3 looks average compared to the inane shitfest that was Wolverine, and I didn't like the former either. There's no rhyme or reason to anything in that film, it goes against what happens in the previous X-Men films, the characters aren't compelling, the action scenes aren't that exciting, and it all looked incredibly cheap. Thanks for shitting the bed on one of my favorite comic book characters, Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
sorry, thanks for the correction

I may have liked T3 more than T4, too.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about them once I leave the theater.

but, I have watched T1 and T2 on the T V a couple of more times.
And that's the difference between the Cameron films and the other two.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com