Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'm waiting till tuesday to catch PE now. Though I guess I'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything any more. Which is fine. Did you catch the filmspotting review?

Just finished listening to it. My expectations weren't as high as theirs were though.

Definitely agreed with them on the narrow focus of the film and their evaluations of the performances, namely Depp and Bale. Some of the problems I have with the film would be boosted with stronger performances from those two, or different actors in the roles altogether. I don't know.

I absolutely loved the digital photography though. It works perfectly in the more intimate character moments and certainly with the action scenes, too. It's awesome in its displays of clarity and raw emotion, in any context, really. More of a docu-style than anything else, and that worked to great effect.

The problem is that the pay-offs are few and far in-between.

Public Enemies.

I don't wanna say MEH, but this wasn't one of Mann's better films.
Cotillard blows him out of the water, a fantastic supporting turn

Have to agree. I saw it the other night and it didn't really fully draw me in until well into the second half. It looked good, it sounded good, but there was something missing. I was reminded of the almost constant tension that was present in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robben Ford, for example, and how this film lacked that but for a few exceptional scenes. Cotillard was wonderful.

Two Lovers - This played at our local art house for about a week and I missed it but figured it wasn't all that good since I had heard virtually nothing about it and it didn't stick around long. But wow, I thought it was really great. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic - actually, the whole cast was. I recognized aspects of these damaged, lonely but basically good characters in a lot of people I've known over the years. Really smart and well done.

Have to agree. I saw it the other night and it didn't really fully draw me in until well into the second half. It looked good, it sounded good, but there was something missing. I was reminded of the almost constant tension that was present in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robben Ford, for example, and how this film lacked that but for a few exceptional scenes. Cotillard was wonderful.

Good comparison; both films where the visuals take priority over your standard exposition, and served well by their particular brand of photography. But there's a world of difference in the overall effect.

I also thought of Jesse James, that it was a much better picture.
However, this, with Depp, very well may do more box office.

This film was ok, but Depp's Derringer was too much of a romantic and not very menacing.
Cotillard was good, but underused for anyone that saw La Vie En Rose.

Tetro:

Fucking amazing. Best of the year. A mess, but a glorious one.

not quite amazing for me, but still very good

the last 15 minutes, were over dramatic, a bit much.

the strong points, casting, the 3 leads are great
gal_mverdu061g.jpg

Maribel Verdú from 'Y tu mamá también' is always great to look at and she can act too

tetro.jpg

Alden Ehrenreich reminded me of a young Leo Dicaprio

tetro03.jpg

Vincent Gallo interesting looking leading man, great in Buffalo 66, has he been in anything else worth watching?

Just catching up...

Transformers 2 Well, not much to add, as there are only so many different ways to say "it's crap". Aside from the usual complaints about it, I just didn't like any of the human characters. Whatshishame LeButt bugs me anyway, his 2 doofus accomplices, his parents (please keep attempts at corny humor away from action movies, please)...basically if you cut out all the people and left in the transformers it would have been OK. I didn't even mind the 2 ghettobots, comparatively speaking; they're about 73rd on my list of complaints.

The Haunting in Connecticut More suckage. Not scary, and it didn't help that I grew up 5 minutes from the supposed haunted house and never heard a peep about it being haunted. Plus the whole "dead bodies never properly laid to rest haunting" reminded me a lot of Poltergeist; maybe they caught Poltergeist on HBO and copied it? The timing would be right. The trailer was scarier than the actual movie. Plus the amplified creaking was a bit much, gave the whole thing a very Signs/Village feel to it.

Dolan's Cadillac I'm a huge Stephen King fan, and I had no idea this had been made into a movie (featuring Christian Slater no less, as Jimmy Dolan). I loved the story, the movie not so much. It was OK, but Slater's portrayal of Dolan kind of ruined it. Dolan in the story is always a menacing figure; Slater's Dolan was a bit goofy, more wingnut than hardcase. But it was better than Haunting and Transformers at least.

Vincent Gallo interesting looking leading man, great in Buffalo 66, has he been in anything else worth watching?

I just looked up his filmography because he's so familiar to me but the only thing I remembered seeing on that list was The House of Spirits. That's one of those movies I feel like I shouldn't like but every time it's on TV I watch it again, and he's great in that. He was also in The Funeral with Christopher Walken and The Perez Family, both of which I must have seen when they first came out but I just don't remember them. I feel like I must have seen Gallo in more than that, though.

The part I enjoyed in Public Enemies was the theatre scene at the end. When he's walking through the crowd in slow motion and the music is slowly building up :drool:

I watched a whole load of movies on my flights from Paris to Dubai to Singapore to Melbourne:

All About Eve
I must get this on DVD soon. What a classic of a film :heart: Great script, great cast and amazing performance by Bette Davis.

Marley & Me
My Mum watched this at the cinema and keeps citing it as the single worst film she's ever seen. So I watched it out of curiosity and I can't really see what caused this extreme reaction - I thought it was merely average. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, but I admit to getting a bit teary at the end - probably because our own cat is getting old.

The Wrestler
I thought the story was pretty standard, but as a character piece it was amazing. As was Mickey Rourke’s performance.

Twilight
Never read the books but thought the film was pretty watchable. The girl who played Bella irritated me a bit though. There's a difference between a) playing a character who is awkward and unsure and b) giving an awkward and unsure performance, and I think she fell more into the camp b.

The Dark Knight
Held up extremely well on the repeated viewing despite the tiny screen. And the plot actually made more sense second time around.

Valkyrie
Pretty solid war thriller that managed to be tense and gripping despite the fact that I knew the outcome. And to Tom Cruise's credit, I didn't once think of couches, Scientology or Katie Holmes during the movie, :)

Bringing Up Baby
Yeah I can see why this film is always mentioned as one of the greatest screwball comedies. I can't say I loved it but I can admire the skill it's put together with.

Working Girl
I knew that it was made in the 80s but when I saw Joan Cusack's hairdo in the opening scenes my face went like this :shocked: The hair, the shoulder pads... holy crap! I really liked the movie though. Sigourney Weaver :heart:

I watched Miami Vice today, and loved it. I wasn't expecting to because I'd heard it was too long and simply not so great. It was visually magnificent, and the story pleasantly surprised me. And Colin Farrell's hair/facial hair was magnificent. :laugh: But seriously, it made me want more. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen (though I may be wrong as I haven't the patience to look to see if there will be a sequel anywhere).

Only one thing made me stumble in my suspension of disbelief, but that's a bit of a racial stereotype and probably offensive... but when I look around at the usual suspects in here, I don't feel so bad about saying it: Gong Li's performance in the sex scene made me question the authenticity of it--because, I mean, aren't all Asian women loud in bed? :wink:

Two Lovers - This played at our local art house for about a week and I missed it but figured it wasn't all that good since I had heard virtually nothing about it and it didn't stick around long. But wow, I thought it was really great. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic - actually, the whole cast was. I recognized aspects of these damaged, lonely but basically good characters in a lot of people I've known over the years. Really smart and well done.

Just caught this tonight and I've gotta agree. Probably the best I've seen both Phoenix and Paltrow do. It's a simple story that hits all of the little things and does it beautifully.

Okay, so I watched

The Wackness – enjoyed this wee one, so 8 outta 10. it’s a bit like watching a cartoon in reverse, but on the whole I loved it and as usual Ben Kingsley was fantastic.

Rachael Got Married – 8 outta 10, this movie was a bit too long for the content, but Amy was great to watch, she really was, very promising young actress.

New To Town – OMG seriously, could there be anyone hotter in this movie than Harry Connick Jnr with unshaven face! (OMG OMG OH MY GAAAAAAWD! :drool:..). this movie was just okay, Im rating 6 outta 10, Renee can play cute but really when it comes to cute she rocked in Bridget Jones. This movie did lack a lot.

Revolutionary Road – I wont lie, I put it on and loved seeing Kate and Leo back together, older and all, and how come Leo always looks so bloody young! Like, 29! LOL! But after a half hour turned vol down and even left house to do a message, coming back to the last 6 mins of it left. LOL! :hide:

:D:D

So yeah, good one.

1. The Insider
2. Heat
3. Miami Vice
4. Collateral
5. Thief
6. Ali
7. Manhunter
8. Last of the Mohicans

For the record, I looked back on this and wondered what I was thinking. Maybe because I had just rewatched those first two again recently... but this is the real deal:

1. Miami Vice
2. The Insider
3. Heat
4. Collateral
5. Ali
6. Manhunter
7. Thief
8. Last of the Mohicans

Wow, Vice at the top?

I'm impressed. And REALLY curious where Public Enemies is going to fall in there.

To be honest, I'm not sure how confident I feel about my rankings. I don't own The Insider or Manhunter, and really need to give those a rewatch.

Have you seen the director's cut of Mohicans? Not very different but it has a better flow to it.

Manhunter has about 4 DVD releases. The one with the anamorphic theatrical cut has absolutely no special features. Pissed me off tracking it down.

Next time I head down to MovieStop, I'm picking up Mohicans and The Insider. Or the rest of Fincher's work instead - got the Criterion of Benji Button today.

Yeah, I remember we were talking about the different versions, and it looks like a big clusterfuck. I can't even remember which one seemed to be the best one.

I really need to get Button, but I'm weary of buying non-BluRay now, just in case I get one in the not-too-distant.

Yeah, I remember we were talking about the different versions, and it looks like a big clusterfuck. I can't even remember which one seemed to be the best one.

I really need to get Button, but I'm weary of buying non-BluRay now, just in case I get one in the not-too-distant.

This is the version I was talking about:

Amazon.com: Manhunter: William Petersen, Kim Greist, Joan Allen, Brian Cox, Dennis Farina, Tom Noonan, Stephen Lang, David Seaman, Benjamin Hendrickson, Michael Talbott, Dan Butler, Michele Shay, Dante Spinotti, Michael Mann, Dov Hoenig, Bernard Will

I get you. I almost picked up The Game today, but it's fucking non-anamorphic. That bugs me beyond belief.

I picked up a shitty DVD of Manhunter without realizing. It was in a Walmart bargain bin so I didn't exactly waste any dough on it, but I haven't watched it since I bought it. Fucking full frame.

Wow, Vice at the top?

I'm impressed. And REALLY curious where Public Enemies is going to fall in there.

Have you seen the director's cut of Mohicans? Not very different but it has a better flow to it.

Miami Vice probably lacks the formal excellence of Heat and The Insider, but I find myself returning to it more often than any of his other work. I know you'll agree it's a phenomenally expressive visual work of art, and I think Mann and Dion Beebe were really heading into progressive new territory with the HD video. There are many sequences of pure cinema in that film, and I can't get enough.

One of my biggest reservations about Public Enemies is pairing up Mann's greatest film DP with his new DV palette. I still haven't heard much word on whether PE continues much with Mann's digital artistry aside from lame reviews commenting "digital video! EEWWW" or "movie looks REALLY KEWL!" which doesn't offer much insight. Then again not many people view Miami Vice with the same perspective so it's to be expected I guess. I just sort of wish he had worked with Beebe again, who would surely have continued to push the envelope as with Mann's last two films.

I'm actually not sure which cut of Mohicans I saw. But it didn't do anything for me. I don't remember much of that brilliant visual storytelling Mann achieves in all of his films, and I can't say anything about the on-screen story interested me. Then the ending came around and I was more or less "Oh? That's it. OK..." when it felt like the film was revving up for a final 20 or 30 minutes. Guess not. I didn't dislike the film by any means, but it came off totally forgettable for me.

The Big Lebowski

It's been a long time coming, and it was everything everyone said. Awesome. 10/10

Wow, your first time seeing Lebowski? I'm probably in the twenties already.

I finally watched The Hammer yesterday. I'm a big fan of Carolla, so I obviously wound up liking it. Definitely one of the better sports comedies I've seen in a very long time.

Lance it scares me every time we agree, and I can't believe Miami Vice is one of those times. Its complex, and not as action-oriented or as involving as mass audiences wanted, but there's real talent behind it, and it takes more than one watching to see the whole picture. The first time I saw it, I liked it for the action and cinematography and was reasonably interested in the characters, but I did think it dragged, and that the plot was purposefully convoluted to cover up not really being about anything, but I caught on a lot more the second time (the first time was really late, and I eve dozed off in the theater a bit haha). I appreciate the kind of screenwriting that doesn't give exposition, it just drops you into a story, because exposition is only ever clearly written for the audience, it takes away from the realism. Its the main reason why I like this screenplay, and why I love Susanne Bier's films like After the Wedding. The story and its characters are just organic, not constructed in front of you.

As for Public Enemies, I think people are missing the point, both Purvis and Dillinger were two very isolated and not understood individuals despite their huge fame, I think that's what the screenplay meditates on, and the hero-worship of an outlaw. Even the audiences for this movie are probably rooting for Dillinger more than the FBI. We really won't understand these two characters all that much, and so Mann uses them as a vessel for putting us in the shoes of the American people during the time period, and makes a very interesting topical display of the lengths to which we should go for law enforcement. However, Hoover while well played by Crudup, was a drawback for me I feel the movie only adds to the one-sided maligning our culture now has for him, like claiming he had no field experience, which is untrue. I was skeptical of Mann using his 2000's era grit for a period piece , it surprisingly worked, even using the weird video feel during quick-motion in low light to give those moments an unsettling edge, it was bold but I think it payed off. And it was electrifying to see the real crackle of Mann's gunplay in the period/true-crime setting, the scene in the woods rivals his best from Heat, and the climactic shootout in Miami Vice.

It could have been a bit tighter, but its not the one-note missed opportunity people seem to be crying about (or echoing critics about).

Also, to me Mann's best film is The Insider, an incredibly taut slow-burn character film, and perfectly rendered true story. Its quiet, and not for those who only appreciate Mann as an shootout maestro and creator of Miami Vice I guess. And to me some of the best directing of actors he's done was on Last of the Mohicans, so its hardly true to say he should stick to crime movies in LA. I applaud him when he tries something new, like with Ali, another wholly misunderstood movie.

For me:

Insider
Heat (a hit with mainstream audiences for pairing De Niro and Pacino and featuring killer action, but it is the best in-depth analysis of cops/robbers out there, and just a brilliantly written film. Pacino's finest role of the 90's I think, and even De Niro isn't over the top.)
Collateral (the thriller of the decade as far as I'm concerned, electrifying style, unnerving/different performance from Cruise, and an excellent/vulnerable one from Jamie Foxx)
Manhunter (a gem of an early effort, and my favorite portrayal of Lector, because he's unnervingly believable as a real person, and he's not the central character, the way the book intended. Whereas Hopkins' later performances were amazing for a screen-villain, but there's no way you'd ever believe there could be a person like that, and the screenwriters shifted too much of the focus on him.)
Miami Vice
Public Enemies
Ali
Mohicans (that said I still love these last few, they're just a little more ambitious than they can pull off)
Thief

So I finally got to see Tarsem Singh's The Fall, and damn if that's not one of the most staggering films I've ever seen. I'd heard that it was visually stunning and filmed all over the world, but that the story was lacking. I have to say I disagree, the leads were great (I'd only ever seen Lee Pace on Pushing Daisies, his dramatic work he really impressed me), and the weaving together of the story was really imaginative, and dark as hell, the story seems innocent but wow, quite the gutpunch, the climax of the story as he and Alexandria are fighting over the control of the story was just exhilarating. Complimentary and not distracting music as well. The one thing I didn't love was just how it ended, I suppose it shows her innocence is still somewhat intact, and the his life went on, but I thought following that sequence I was talking about, it kind of let the air out.

Talk about dedication to a vision as well, as he financed the whole thing himself, its just too bad no one saw it.

So now I want to watch more of Michael Mann's films. I've seen Heat, Miami Vice, and Collateral. I need to watch Collateral again since it's the only one I own (buy one, get two free previously viewed at a blockbuster a few years back). Since I'm reading Red Dragon now, I suppose Mannhunter will be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom