Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #391
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Just watched Wendy and Lucy. Daddy like.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #392
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Just got back from seeing Terminator: Salvation, and it turned out to be as much as I hoped for from the concept and trailers, and more. The hero worship of James Cameron, and almost conspiratorial hate for McG is beyond me. I think, beyond just the improved effects and camera technology, McG and his DP did a remarkable job filming the movie (I'm gonna be blasphemous and say that even T2's shooting looks boring in comparison), and I was just as skeptical as the next person of his hiring. Given the reaction from everyone I kept expecting the screenplay to drop the ball since the effects, and direction weren't at fault, and for an action movie neither was the acting, and it never got cheese-ball bad or too convoluted (T3), and while it didn't address a lot of the continuity and leaves you with plenty of questions, I don't think it screwed up the continuity either, and left the exposition to the imagination (or future films) as this was simply dropping you in the middle of the action/story instead of explaining everything to you. The remarkable thing about the franchise is its handling of the effects of time-travel, and its fun to see just how that (as well as the passage of real time, its a 4 film series over 25 years so far) has affected it, and I think this did a good job of raising some philosophical/ethical questions without plodding on about them and being too preachy for an action movie. And for the record, I'm a fan of huge movie fun, but I'm more impressed and interested in artistry in film, so I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it beyond just siting back and accepting the popcorn entertainment (I'm not calling it an artistic triumph, just better than your average mainstream summer fare, and undeserving of the hate)

Color me impressed.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #393
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Daddy like Lucy?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #394
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I started watching that a week ago or so, and had to turn it off when they picked her up for shoplifting and she was telling the that she couldn't leave her dog there alone as she was driven off in the squad car.

I couldn't handle watching a movie where I'd probably start bawling my fool head off if anything happened to the dog, or watching her trying to find the dog.

It was one of those weeks.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #395
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Lucy was a cute pooch, to be sure. You should catch the rest of it though, seriously.

Now I'm watching Let the Right One In again. Definitely last year's best. Netflix Instant through the XBOX is a wonderful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
McG and his DP
I hear the latter is quite fucking amateur.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #396
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Armond White, who accuses Pixar of forced sentimentality, and also happens to be one of Spielberg's biggest apologists.
Don't lump White and Spielberg together, his 'sentimentality' comes from extreme compassion and perhaps a dedication to the fantastical fun that movies brought him as a kid. The tacked on endings of Minority Report and WOTW don't really bring down his immense talent for story-telling.

As for White, the man is the worst kind of shock-writer, a pretentious one, at least pulp-novelists and tabloid 'journalists' don't pepper their writing with so much faux-scholarly bullshit. Its one thing to dislike a movie, its another to blab on and on and never give a legit reason why, especially when the world has come to know you're doing it just to crap on things that everyone else is universally impressed by.

The man gives negative reviews to artistic/story-telling triumphs like Zodiac, The Wrestler, Gomorrah, Wall-E, Slumdog Millionaire, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Atonement, Assassination of Jesse James, and Michael Clayton and mainstream masterpieces like Star Trek, Iron Man and Up, (as well as taking part in the odd NYC-critics negative TDK review conspiracy) and in such a way, he's wasting his life.

That's not even to mention the positive reviews for movies like Dance Flick and Transporter 3.

And fortunately even when he likes a movie worth liking, his writing is filled with critcism for other films/directors that is misplaced and totally against my opinion (like his review of Diving Bell and the Butterfly being more of a platform to tear apart other film-makers who made biopics like Anton Corbijn or Todd Haynes), so I don't have to worry about him even being right once in awhile.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #397
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
And for the record, I'm a fan of huge movie fun, but I'm more impressed and interested in artistry in film, so I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it beyond just siting back and accepting the popcorn entertainment
I'm just curious how impressed you were by the artistry in middling performances, uninspired musical composition, and an consistently inconsistent contradictory screenplay with absolutely no grip on its characters, narrative threads, or "thematic material" which is really a joke to even mention given how unexplored and nonsensical it is. I'm also curious how people are so content with the "popcorn entertainment" movie fun of a film rife with thoughtless inept action sequences that consistently deny the film's own internal logic.

Honestly, I want to know specifics. Where is the "artistry" and "movie fun" in this, one of the more purely inane and ludicrous blockbuster movies made this decade?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #398
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Don't lump White and Spielberg together, his 'sentimentality' comes from extreme compassion and perhaps a dedication to the fantastical fun that movies brought him as a kid. The tacked on endings of Minority Report and WOTW don't really bring down his immense talent for story-telling.
Incidentally I agree with most of your post up here and immediately following this.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #399
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I'm just curious how impressed you were by the artistry in middling performances, uninspired musical composition, and an consistently inconsistent contradictory screenplay with absolutely no grip on its characters, narrative threads, or "thematic material" which is really a joke to even mention given how unexplored and nonsensical it is. I'm also curious how people are so content with the "popcorn entertainment" movie fun of a film rife with thoughtless inept action sequences that consistently deny the film's own internal logic.

Honestly, I want to know specifics. Where is the "artistry" and "movie fun" in this, one of the more purely inane and ludicrous blockbuster movies made this decade?
My point in saying that was that I think people read waaaaaaay too much into this kind of movie, granted it wasn't on the level of Star Trek, but its enjoyable, and not worth ripping to shreds. Also my point about the 'thematic material' was that it was able to bring something else to the movie without spending too much time on it, but didn't really feel like an afterthought either, again the movie drops you into the action, so I'm not expecting soliloquies or deep character development. I seriously think movie fans made up their minds what they were going to think about this no matter what, and stuck with it. I'm not saying you don't have a right to dislike it, but I think there's lots of people out there spouting these things against it without objectively watching it, or watching it at all. I didn't straight up attack anyone's opinion, or call it a masterpiece, so I don't really think I need to be ripped apart either. As for the acting, I really want to know what people expect out of an action film, no one did a bad job, there's no awards-worthy performances, but who cares? Especially coming from a franchise that's built on the purposely mechanical persona of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I will however defend Danny Elfman, the music might not have been ground-breaking or contain super-memorable themes, but it kept pace with the mood, and again for a movie of this kind that's just fine, we don't need bombastic hummable scores for everything.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #400
ONE
love, blood, life

For the record Lance, are you agreeing or disagreeing with my Spielberg comment?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #401
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:46 PM
The more I read about Salvation, the less I want to see it, especially being a huge fan of Cameron's films.

I'm going to look at it as part of the series and will compare it to those films, and the shitty 3rd one. I think most people who dislike it are doing the same thing, which is totally reasonable seeing as though it's a part of such a well-established and beloved set of movies.

Plus, I'm not going to spend 8 bucks to see the PG-13 version when you know the DIRECTOR'S CUT is coming out in a couple of months. McFuck.

On a lighter note. Drag Me to Hell was one of the most fun times I've had in a theater in a long time. Plus, the gypsy woman looked like a teacher from my school. Discuss.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #402
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I hear the latter is quite fucking amateur.
I'd rather see Sasha Grey and her DP, if you get my meaning.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #403
ONE
love, blood, life

Oy
Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My point in saying that was that I think people read waaaaaaay too much into this kind of movie, granted it wasn't on the level of Star Trek, but its enjoyable, and not worth ripping to shreds. Also my point about the 'thematic material' was that it was able to bring something else to the movie without spending too much time on it, but didn't really feel like an afterthought either, again the movie drops you into the action, so I'm not expecting soliloquies or deep character development. I seriously think movie fans made up their minds what they were going to think about this no matter what, and stuck with it. I'm not saying you don't have a right to dislike it, but I think there's lots of people out there spouting these things against it without objectively watching it, or watching it at all. I didn't straight up attack anyone's opinion, or call it a masterpiece, so I don't really think I need to be ripped apart either. As for the acting, I really want to know what people expect out of an action film, no one did a bad job, there's no awards-worthy performances, but who cares? Especially coming from a franchise that's built on the purposely mechanical persona of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I don't get it. This seems to boil down to the same argument I hear over and over again from people regarding action films, essentially "As long as there's spectacle, nothing else matters." Why, because McG was given $200 million to fill 2 hours with robots and lots of 'splosions, are we supposed to forgive him his lack of any fundamental storytelling abilities, skill in directing actors, or even sense for choreographing a single compelling set-piece? Have the standards for the genre been lowered so significantly over the years? The film lacks any semblance of coherent thought or purpose. I'm not looking for an art film here, just a solid movie. It fails to deliver in even the basic promise of its medium.

Fundamentally, it's all about storytelling, be it through wordless visual abstraction in the far end of the extreme art world or through utterly conventional Hollywood rules and conceptions; at the very least that's what should be expected from a successful movie. And I don't see what's so wrong about tearing something a new one when it completely fails in that regard. And shit, this movie doesn't even deliver in complete brainless spectacle, because McG apparently can't handle anything longer than a 4-minute music video. And if that's what you're looking for in the first place you're better off going to the circus or an amusement park. (Although the Terminator Salvation equivalent of a roller-coaster would be a 4-year-old designed improvised nightmare from the Rollercoaster Tycoon videogame that launches its passengers into a rocky lake-bed at the end.)
Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #405
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
For the record Lance, are you agreeing or disagreeing with my Spielberg comment?
Well for the record, I was more or less. Though I think Laz's comment regarding Armond White was still noteworthy to a degree.